Thread: Door-knockers

Default Door-knockers

Wondering mostly about the perspective of those that do door-knock or have...

I occasionally get religious door-knockers, I've moved around quite a bit so never the same ones so far. If I'm not busy, I let them in and have a chat. I'm not religious, I'm not completely closed to religion but find I'm currently of the view that whether or not there is a higher being/s or whatever, that it is irrelivant in this life, in the now, that we don't have to actively seek it or worship it - it just 'is'. I know that might offend those who find God and such should be intergrated into all parts of life and all of that but that is where I am at. I see the appeal of religion, I can understand why others are involved in it and respect that completely but I'm happy with living life in the way I feel is moral without getting into anything organised or dedicating a lot of time to the spiritual unknown. Hmm getting off topic. Anyway, I always have them in and chat, I take their literature and browse it, it interests me for some reason. I'm quite fascinated by religion (not just Christianity although I've not had door-knockers who haven't been spreading the word of Jesus so far), by those who think differently to myself, it is all intertwined into history and culture and society, people's unique world views. I enjoy hearing their thoughts, sometimes they lead me to questioning my own and also, to a point, sometimes it is just nice to have an adult chat about anything in the middle of the day and their timing is usually spot on with when I really just need to reach out! I went to a Lutheran highschool and did Study of Religion in my senior years so I know this and that, I've been part of forums for these sort of discussions and done a little independant research here and there. I don't know whether or not I'll ever 'find religion' for myself.

How do you react to somebody like that? Who invites you in and chats to you but is most likely not looking to convert or believe and won't end up following that path. Does it annoy you? I thought most would enjoy chatting about it even if the person walks away 'unchanged' but then I mentioned some stopping by to somebody (also not religious) who then made the comment that I'm being a bit rude to waste their time and so now I'm curious... do people actually think like that? That their time is being wasted?

I've never door knocked for religious reasons, but I can imagine, given how few people even open their door to door knockers, I imagine, they'd be pretty wrapt that you spend the time allowing them in for a chat!

I actually don't think they would think you were wasting their time at all. They would love it and will call on you again and again for chats.

Oh my goodness, are you me?! You've described exactly how I am with religion - in not interested in "joining" one, but I love hearing about most of the different world views

I don't invite people in though, I hardly even like having people I know visit most of the time

i have had this conversation in the past as i feel very similar to yourself
    from what i have gathered, for door knockers, it's not about conversion as much as spreading the word - so even if you don't become a member of their church, the fact that you have welcomed them and actually engaged in conversation about their beliefs means they are doing exactly that - spreading the word

I have never let them into my house (my house is much to messy to be letting anyone in!), but have stood at the front door chatting for a bit. I am Catholic, and make sure that they know that about me upfront, I am not looking to be converted, but I do enjoy chatting with anyone and everyone. And there have been a couple of times when doorknockers have completely turned my day around from absolutely horrible to something much more bearable - so even if they perhaps thought they were wasting their time (which I doubt considering they keep on coming back) I don't believe they wasted their time, but rather done something of worth.

Mind you, I have turned away my share of doorknockers as well - generally the really pushy ones who happen to knock at the wrong time, but I try to do so nicely, if firmly.

My old place, you could get to the front door without being buzzed in and if I was doing a ritual, I'd put a sign "do not disturb", and the people who would always knock and continue to knock were religious door knockers or salespersons, then I changed it to "don't disturb, witch working magic" and the'd all but pound on the door, so one time I opened the door to them (luckily I'd just closed the circle), but I was skyclad (naked), I didn't appreciate that the first words out of their mouths were "devil worshiper". So I wasn't exactly nice about the interruption.

Other times, I've welcomed them in and gotten into a lively debate about their path and my path etc.

I don't have anything against them, or their various religions, but I'd prefer not to be bothered when I've put a sign up asking such.

Door knocker here - at least, I am when I'm not having panic attacks about it

BG's totally right, the majority of us are more than happy to talk to you, even if your intention is not to convert. I love having a conversation about the Bible or Jehovah's Kingdom! I love answering questions, I love the 'light bulb' look when someone finally understands something we're saying. I've never had a Bible Study with anyone - but that doesn't mean anything. Sometimes it's just enough to plant a seed. My grandmother visited a woman every fortnight for 40 years before she decided to have a study!

Sopdet, that is so amazingly out of line I hope they weren't my kind of door knockers...if they were, I can let you know how to make a complaint, just PM me. We are strictly told NOT to do things like that!

Keike - nope not one of yours, the M ones

Keike, if you came to my door I'd let you in

Teni, if I came aaaaaall the way to your door and you DIDN'T let me in, I'd probably break a window!

I remember once when DD was a baby, I had two boys (and they pretty much were boys) from the LDS Church knock on the door. I had a little chat with them and they were lovely. They even offered to help out with any "yard work" I needed doing (they were American). Very nice boys.

There are Muslim door knockers who target Muslim homes and nag them about going to the Mosque more often etc. They **** me to tears. Luckily they don't seem to operate in the area I live in now.

Funny story...... I've probably told it before..... my ex's mum is a born again Catholic. She went on a pilgrimage to Sarejevo or somewhere to see a miracle and visited Lourdes etc. She got a priest to bless her water tank so she had a never ending supply of holy water (except in drought lol) and she used to keep a bottle by the door (next to the giant life sized crucifix) and when JW's came calling she would throw it on them