Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braces in Adulthood

Default Braces in Adulthood

I had braces for three years between the ages of 16-19. About a year ago I stopped wearing my plates (so stoooopid) and my teeth have shifted. They have moved so much that I can't even get my plates back on. I have become self consious about them because one of my front teeth has been pushed forward and it's not even in line with my other teeth.

Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do?

I want my straight teeth back and I am seriously considering having the braces put back on (I imagine it would only take 6 months to a year to straighten them back out).

Have you had braces in adulthood? How did you feel?

Anyone?

Smile

I had braces in high school and was meant to have them for 18 months. The orthodontist took them off just after 12 months. My mum was furious. Then i had a plate and mouth guard.

They didnt work ( not on for long enough )

I actually want to have braces again and am seriously considering it.

My eldest will also need them but he is only nine.

I would go for it. My teeth make me so unhappy !

CB - my teeth are making me unhappy as well. They aren't too bad but it's enough for me to notice them in photos and stuff.

I just rang my Orthodontist and got a SERIOUS ticking off by the receptionist. She asked me when I last wore my plates and then totally scorned me for that. Then ticked me off for not coming to any appointments for the last 4 years.

Appointment is on the 2nd March.

I had braces and I'm really slack with wearing my plate, but when I do put it in (maybe one night a week...or 2) it always fits fine but now I better wear it more often! If your teeth are making you self-conscious then definitely get them corrected. My mum recently started using invisline(sp?) the "clear braces" which are basically just plates and they work really well. She had braces when she was a teen but then her wisdom teeth came along and shifted all her straight teeth and now in her 40's she's decided to correct them again. So I say go for it!

hey babe, I am the same, I didnt wear my plates for long enough and I really should get them looked at again.

I wonder what the cost will be ?

My health plan doesnt cover orthodontics, does yours? Was going to upgrade when DD1 gets older!

Kitt3n - I had a friend who went back to the same orthodontist and he only charged her around $1000 for the 12 months she had the braces on again because she had already spent $3000 previously. My parents paid around $4K for my 3 years in braces so I am hoping I will get a similar price to my friend.

My level of cover doesn't cover orthodontics. but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be covered even if I did have a higher level of cover because they covered me for the first round of braces.. I think it says on the policy that you can only benefit once per person - and I am still with the same health fund.

My Orthodontist accepts part payments over the duration of the braces - so it might only be a few hundred dollars every few months. I'd be happy to pay it out of my pocket if it means I can have my teeth fixed.

i am really curious to know how you go at your appointment, i dont get onto the forums all the time lately, so please PM me to let me knwo what they say!

I will K - I'll get as much info as I can.

I didn't have to go through my dentist to get a referral or anything - so maybe if you rang your Orthodontist they can give you some info?

lol hun I dont even remember what they were called, i would have to trek out to the burbs to actually go to the place!

I had braces for almost 3 years the first time. Was told to wear a plate for about 6 months then that was it.

My teeth were so crooked I had braces again as an adult. It cost a mint. I paid it in full up front and got a discount. I could then also claim it on my tax and got some back. It wasn't worth getting ortho PHI as the costs for the PHI would have been more than I was going to be able to claim.

I was promised straight teeth in 18 months but when that came around I was told at least another 6 months. I had them taken off early as I had already planned a year OS. So they're not as good as they could be (more at the back though- the front looks straight). I have a retainer I wore full time for a year now I wear it at nights and will till I die!

All the best!

I had braces for almost 3 years the first time. Was told to wear a plate for about 6 months then that was it.

My teeth were so crooked I had braces again as an adult. It cost a mint. I paid it in full up front and got a discount. I could then also claim it on my tax and got some back. It wasn't worth getting ortho PHI as the costs for the PHI would have been more than I was going to be able to claim.

I was promised straight teeth in 18 months but when that came around I was told at least another 6 months. I had them taken off early as I had already planned a year OS. So they're not as good as they could be (more at the back though- the front looks straight). I have a retainer I wore full time for a year now I wear it at nights and will till I die!

All the best!

I am 40 in a couple of months and getting my braces fitted on tuesday, not to sure weather to go with the metal ones or the ones that you cant notice(not sure what there called) i have a very crowded mouth with teeth everywhere, my ortho took my top 2 wisdoms out last week, and has done lots more work in the last couple weeks and to date, i have spent $6000 and another $4700 this week to get them fitted( yes i needed lots of work) but i have always wanted mty teeth straight, and i cant wait till i wont be ashamed to smile....i dont have a probalm with being an adult and having braces

I went to the Ortho and it turns out that my teeth can be corrected with a series of 6-8 plates over a period of 12 months. The cost is $1800 which I thought was reasonable.

I've put it off for a couple of months though as we really don't have the spare cash until we've paid rego/insurance on the car and some other bills.

I'm looking forward to having my teeth straight again!

I'm going to be looking into it this year - I've started having trouble talking properly which means my teeth have moved and I'm not happy

I am 28 and have had braces for about 9months. I have clear on top, and metal on the bottom. The clear ones in my opinion look better than the heavy metal ones, but they do stain and get a bit grotty looking, but they get changed every 4-6wks. I am glad I got braces, although I have had a constant face/head ache since I have had them on, but the results so far are worth it. It has cost me so far about $5000-$6000 (including dental work, fillings, 4 teeth removed) but my ortho, and most of them require a deposit, and then you pay some off each week.... it costs me $50 a wk, so that is affordable. Plus anything you pay over $1500, you get 20% back at tax time, so if you can get it all paid before the financial year is up, that works out well also. I have to have mine on for about 2yrs.

My husband is getting braces tomorrow! It will cost $5700 for clear on the top & bottom and he will probably have them on for 18 months... With the health fund rebate, 10% off from the orthodontist (for paying upfront), 20% rebate for everything over $1500 in our tax return and our $1800 from Mr Rudds stimulus package we will only end up being $668 out of pocket! HTH

thought i would bump this up...as it interesting to read ppls experiences!

i have had braces now for a little over a year (out of a 2 year plan). have the clears ones on top and bottom. i had a retained baby tooth that needed extracting and the adult tooth to be brought down. i wanted to get the braces that sit at the back of the teeth, but alas, with my baby tooth issue it wasnt a possibility.

i cant say i like having them, but have certainly gotten so used to it that i dont notice them anymore, but the beginning was tough as adjustments that they make can give headaches. i have to wear a retainer he tells me for 3 years!!!!

the cost of the orthodontics was $5700. we paid upfront and got a 20% discount and also some rebate from medicare...

the dentist who had to do some fillings and the extraction cost a bomb on top of that...probably close to $1500.

spewing. imagine how many pretty shoes i coulda bought with that booty LOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast