Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of wisdom teeth removal - under G.A

is that full PHI or just extras? becuase i only got the extras cover... if its callender year then i might change my mind as i was told Finachial year for extras :-/

For either, it's always been calendar year, not sure why you were told financial year.
    Extras will only cover the cost of having the tooth removed, based on an item number, not the surgeons fees, anesthetist or hospital, who are you cover with and what level of cover???

Ahm and the highest level of extras cover.
    i was told fin.year a fair few times and the bloke said it was all bar anithiests fees depending on item number - i could get it done in the chair...but i dont think i'd cope; at all.

Mmmmmmm I'm worred for you.....
    Unerupted wisdom teeth are classed as surgical extractions... Not sure if they are covered under general dental/extractions therefore might have a waiting period (12 months)
    I assume now you're considering having done in chair??
    I'd ring oral surgeon nod ask for item numbers fr surgical extractions then ring ahm back

I'm with AHM. The cover is $190 per surgical tooth extraction.

I would say $190 per tooth isn't going to go very far Dani, if what N2L corresponds with your cover.
    My total tooth extraction was as mentioned above about $1350 and I got 80% cover and had erupted teeth.
    Honestly, I would pay for the dental visit OOP - they will likely refer you to a surgeon, then pay for them OOP and get the proper figures. Or in the meantime I guess your general dentist will be covered, but surgeon is covered by medicare for a consult.
    Until you have the figures and the item numbers I don't think you will know for sure if it is worth it in the long term, especially if you are taking out cover *just* for this reason.
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; June 24th, 2013 at 08:41 PM.

My advice is go to the dentist and ask exactly what will need to be done, the cost, the item numbers, extra costs (xrays, anaesthetic, cleans, etc) and whether you can have a payment plan. Explain funds are low and you really don't want to come out with a high bill.

Then ring AHM and get them them to tell you exactly how much you will get back for the entire lot of procedures.

I've re-checked the pamflit thingy they sent out, and yes its $190 per tooth - how ever there is no limit on the amount of teeth that can be pulled at that price. and if its in a chair its $70. when i signed up thats what i saw, im still looking into the fin, year or calender year but i will double check the item numbers and hopefully this dentist will be able to make it work with them.

Are you seeing an oral surgeon or normal dentist?
    I can tell you now, a normal dentist will not surgically remove un erupted wisdom teeth due to the nerve that runs along the bottom jaw, you will be referred to an oral surgeon

ETA you'll also need to have an OPG done, can you request a referral form from your dentist to have it done prior to your appointment??

I will be getting OPG done at the appt tomorrow from what i gathered. And i think going by the pain right now that they'll see my gums nice and inflamed -.-

How did you go darl?

Got checked out and in three weeks i'll have my top right wisdom tooth removed - turns out my top ones came through but have decay thanks to how tighly packed they all are. So i'll also get 6 fillings too in the chair and then once a few things come to a head, i'll be getting the right top left and both bottom teeth done under GA as they are yet to brake through.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12