Thread: Dentists and medicare

Question Dentists and medicare

Shel needs extensive dental work, plus at least one wisdom tooth pulled ( please let that $950x2 come through...), and I'm just wondering, does the cost of that go towards the safety net thing?

So, does it count towards that? When we hit a certain amount we get some back? Or does dental not work like that?

ETA: I looked on the Medicare website, but couldn't make heads or tails of it serious case of sleep-deprived-mummy-brain this morning
    Last edited by Indadhanu; February 6th, 2009 at 07:22 AM.

As far as I know you can't claim dental on medicare at all - but if you have a health care card some dentists will give you a concession on that.

Have you asked at your local public hospital to use the public dental system?
    it is bulk billed

private dentistry isnt covered by medicare at all (unless terminal illness)
    best to look at public but expect a huge wait. or find a dentist willing to do work over a period of time and allowing you to pay offf i know how expensive it is!

Shel doesn't have a HCC so public is well and truly out.

*sigh* bit ridiculous IMO. Dentists should bulk bill. But they don't and can charge anything they like.

I know and it's terrible when you really need treatment. I used to be a dental nurse and we would let people pay it off - especially if they needed some of the more expensive treatments.

Yeah I think we have to, she really can't wait any longer. Seems so silly though that they don't get a benefit at all!

Sorry that you are having to go through this Leash but it isn't really that silly that there isn't a benefit.

I am pretty sure that you don't have to have a HCC to put your name on the waiting list for public dentistry - but there is generally a very long wait for it.

When Medicare was first introduced in the late 70's early 80's (it was introduced, then canned then reintroduced) the Commonwealth couldn't afford to fund both dental and optometry so they had to make a call. It was decided that there would be a greater health benefit if people got their eyes checked.

While I know it is hard coming to terms with dentistry costs think of the number of times that you have taken Jas to the doctor since she was born (and even before that) and imagine if you had had to pay for all of those bills. While the medicare system isn't perfect I'm very grateful that it is there for the serious things.

Can Shell ask the dentist if they are able to do the work in stages so that it is easier to afford, or have payment plans? Fingers crossed for the stimulus package to come through for you.