Thread: Does anyone know anything about Laser Dentistry.?

Question Does anyone know anything about Laser Dentistry.?

I have just booked in for my first filling in my adult teeth.....

I am TERRFIED of the dentist but I have booked into a place that doesn't use needles or drills just a laser.
    I'm driving over to the other side of melbourne for this experience and just want to know if anyone else has had this done or knows how it works?

Does it hurt???

I'm booked in for the 5/1/09 as I can't go until I am on Mat Leave.

Any thoughts and opinions???

How did it go?

the laser technology looks interesting, but its high cost and limited application havent made it something I want to use. Its like cutting teeth with a tiny blade, not very useful and no tactile sensation.

Hope your appointment was painfree. I imagine the smell of vaporising tooth wasnt that pleasant though!

I'd be interested to know what you thought as a patient too. Working as a dental assistant I have seen these sorts of instruments used, but TBH didn't think alot of them, and is seems to make the procedure longer IMO. I'd rather just have the local and have the dentist do a quick, thorough job! But that's from the other side, it would be good to hear the patient's perspective.......

Hey - I loved it!'
    I ended up having the local for the scraping factor but other than that was great.
    Just sounded like popcorn in the microwave.... in fact I didn't get stressed until he used the drill to shape the filling.

Wouold definately reccoment it

sounds like Waterlase. Glad to hear you found it a pleasant experience

I remember going to a seminar on that years ago. Looked interesting, I dont think i can afford the 100K price tag just yet, my clinic is only a few months old and not that busy yet!