Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm scared!!

Default I'm scared!!

I have to go to the dentist

I haven't been for like 5 yrs I know!!!! I know!!!!

I don't know why I'm scared, I've never had anything done, no fillings or anything so how would I even know if it's bad or not.

But now my teeth hurt. When I eat some things they hurt heaps, like they're really sensitive. I have a hole don't I??

So what will happen? What will they do??

And also, how much does it cost to see a dentist?? Does it matter if you have a health care card?? I don't have PHI, damn.

I don't want to go. I'm scared they're going to want to pull out my wisdom teeth too. Oh ****.

it kinda sorta does sound like there might be a filling needed...(my expert opinion of course in all things dentistry rofl!). but this was my first clue too (sore when eating).

basically from what i gather they can clear the decay (that's the drill bit). it sounds way worse than anything. i only felt uncomfy from the noise and sometimes when the nurse didnt get the sucker thing to suck up the water spray and it can taste a bit yucky.

it can cost quite a bit. but is so worth it as you know our teeth are so important to our health! and as for not having PHI i wouldnt be too worried. most cover only offers a discount on procedures, so you would be out of pocket in most scenarios anyway.

a normal filling situation can take about 45 minutes too.

i had to have a few put in just before i got the braces on and although uncomfortable i dont remember it as *painful* as such...in moments where the fear would overtake me i just kept the mantra (not as painful as childbirth etc etc lol!). so maybe come up with a memory of something mega painful and use that as your measure to keep you grounded LOL!

good luck and fingers crossed that it is a quick and easy fix!

Aww good luck hun hope its all ok! I will happily go for you I lurve the dentsit!
    xxx

I need to go too I haven't been in about the same time frame and I really want them cleaned properly and I also may need my wisdom teeth taken out! I have a referral for an xray but I keep procrastinating

If it's any consolation, I don't have phi and I'm scared too!

I'm just coming in to give you BIIIIG hugs cause I didn't go for 9 years, and then just for a checkup - & I haven't been back yet (that was about 3 years ago...) - I KNOW I have to go one day but I am also scared. And I can't afford it. That's my excuse anyway
    and the really stupid part is...I'm sure it won't be as bad as I think, you know?
    So you are braver than me, anyway

It's awful isn't...am I'm hardly scared of anything.
    I just went before Christmas...we had PHI but after the amount I got back we actually cancelled ours.
    I went for a consult and xray -$100, then my first ever filling $250,then a clean $100 got back about$80 - with the cover just under top cover.

With the cleaning they used to put that awful gritty stuff on, but they don't do that anymore (cos they've figured out it wears the enamel away ) so there's a bit of scraping and swooshing and it's over in about 10minutes. The filling invold a local injection, some grinding (which made my brain shake - it didn't hurt but felt yuck) and then the filling bit. The worst bit was that my jaw hurt from having to keep my mouth open.

Good luck hun, hope it's just sensitive teeth.

I went before Christmas for the first time in 6 years. Very embarrassed about how bad things were - I had 2 cleans, xray and am back off to get 2 fillings and 3 fixed up. However, it was not painful (apart from the cost, lol) and now everything will be back on track so no REALLY expensive root canals or tooth pulling. I am going to turn over a new leaf and go every 6 months to get a clean so this does not happen again.
    Your teeth are so important to your overall health and also your confidence - you will be so glad after it is all done. Good luck!
    PS - May be worth asking about discount for Health Care Cards and payment plans also, I am sure most dentists have that option. With our PHI, I have spent $400 with $150 back...so far

hubbies going on Friday i would suggest sensdine toothpaste.?

Heaven - I haven't been in... 7 or 8 years! I need to go, I know - but I honestly can't afford it! Good luck hun.

Boomba you like the dentist?? that's just weird!

Everyon'es given you the info, I was just going to suggest what Squid did- the sensadyne, or pronamel toothpaste. 'Spensive, but well worth it if you have sensitive teeth (which it sounds like you might).

Big hunny- try not to be too scared. The apprehension is the worst bit, I think.

I hadn't gone for about 12 years (yes I know!) and I had one filling - woohoo!! The needle doesn't hurt, I agree its the drill thats bloody uncomfortable as it shakes your brain.. lol... but it didn't hurt at all sweet, so try not to worry.

Oh and it cost me about $100 and I didn't have PHI.

The last time I went (which was after that time) I had my wisdom tooth yanked out because it was causing me soooo much grief. That wasn't the most pleasant experience I must say, but only cos of all the needles he put in, and then the fact that he ripped the bugger out when I was sitting there - but I tell you - the sweet relief of it NOT hurting anymore afterwards, was worth it. I was taking painkillers every day because it was killing me.

I have PHI now and it covers a bit of the cost, but not much.

Its better to go NOW and get it fixed, than to avoid it and have to get a root canal done or something.........

OMG, I could have written that post and in fact almost did yesterday!!

I'm the same, I haven't been for about 5 years

I'm not actually scared of the dentist as such. I just got sick of them telling me I needed braces we couldn't afford for me to have And our health insurance doesn't cover orthodontic.

Fast forward 5-6 years and I'm scared about my teeth. I have a pretty bad overbite and my teeth have sort of worn down at the front. The front bottom ones are quite crooked (thanks to my 4 wisdom teeth that pushed them out of place). It's BAD and I'm really scared about what they're going to say. Last time I went they suggested a mouth guard to wear while sleeping cause I grind my teeth too and they are quite damaged. I shudder to think how bad they are now.

BUT I figure if I want to still have teeth in 20 years I'd better get my butt in that chair. I've got it on next week's 'to do' list.

Dont' stress too much though - my DH went last year and he hadn't been in like 12 years and his teeth were perfectly fine!

Man, I hope Janie doesn't read this thread!
    Last edited by Willow; January 12th, 2010 at 11:00 AM.

Oh thanks guys. Guess I better make that appointment then. Holy **** I hope I don't need a root canal or something drastic!!

I'll ring a few places and find the cheapest! lol. Actually I might get DH to, I might cry, haha.

slyder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    I'm not actually scared of the dentist as such. I just got sick of them telling me I needed braces
    Me too. I hated it every time. Especially when it was cosmetics they were banging on about, moreso than function or health. Never one compliment about my total lack of fillings.

But that's all irrelevant because I did a huge 180 and now have braces!

But that's all irrelevant because I did a huge 180 and now have braces!
    I'm thinking the same thing and now kicking myself I didn't just do it when I was 19. Vanity wouldn't allow me to
    Never one compliment about my total lack of fillings.
    Same here! In fact he'd tell me how well I looked after them, especially considering the crooked teeth at the front.

If they still suggest braces again, I'll really consider it this time around. For me it is about the health of my teeth at this point.

How are you finding them? How long do you have to have them on?

slyder Guest

Got to have them on for about two years. I have the ceramic uppers so all you really see is the wire unless you look closely. It's not like they are invisible, but just less of visual impact than the all metal ones.

Finding them to be fine. First week sucked the big one as I couldn't eat anything really, but after that it's been fine. Have tenderness in various teeth most days, but not enough that I really even think about it until I press on them or something. Only had them since November but have already seen some movement which is cool.

My front uppers are a bit jumbled and I have a prominent canine tooth which I can't stand. I said I'd never get braces (never ever) but for some weird reason at 28 had a brain fart and changed my mind in the space of a 10 minute convo with DW, and within a few weeks had them on! Cost is 6K here though which is a bit stinky. Metals instead of ceramic are a bit cheaper.

Cost is 6K here though
    Fast remembering why I didn't go through with it....

Just made an appt for myself and DD though so that's a start. She's never been before (she's 5) so figured it was time to get her used to going.

Haha BUSTED!

Guys, seriously, don't be scared. No one is writing anything that is making me think OMG! Or that you will need to run off for extractions or root canal treatment.

Heaven, just GO! It will be fine, we know that 98% of people really don't want to be at the dentist, we're used to it . It doesn't actually sound like you necessarily need a filling (although you might, you won't know until you get there!), more like you have sensitive teeth. Which is most likely caused by the fact that it's been awhile between visits and your teeth probably need a good clean to get the gums back in shape. Get flossing, use a sensitive toothpaste, get a clean at the dentist, and you'll likely feel alot better. If you have one particular tooth that is sore, then yep, it could be decay, but generalised sensitivity is usually, well, just that!

Willow, if they hassle you about ortho, just tell them it is NOT an option ATM. It sounds like you could benefit from wearing a splint at night (really common, I have one too ). Has anyone mentioned this to you in the past? They really help to prevent wear and tear, particularly in someone with a bite like yours. If you feel happy to go down the ortho road, and you can afford to, then it will likely be worthwhile. But I would recommend waiting until you are definitely sure that you don't want any more babies .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast