Thread: Is this normal 9 year child tooth pain behaviour?

Default Is this normal 9 year child tooth pain behaviour?

On Saturday night, DD who is about to turn 10 comlained that her teeth were hurting when she chewed on hard things. It seemed to be a general sensitivity thing, not confined to one area. Then yesterday we were out at a party for lunch and she bit down on something hard and complained she had cracked a tooth and was still complaining about the tooth sensitivity. She went on to eat cheesecake, lemon tart, fruit salad and black forest cake after that so things can't have been too bad . But by 8pm that night her first molar on the bottom left had completely fallen out!!! It left a really red raw gap and she swears it was not loose this morning. Today the gap is still quite red and bloody. So I guess she really gave it a good knock when she was eating and it was probably not quite ready to come out but did.
    Looked up on the internet and ages 9 to 11 is when it is supposed to come out so I guess that is OK but I really wondered about the general teeth soreness/sensitivity. Do your older children complain of that when they are about to lose their teeth. I thought it might be the new tooth pushing through that they are feeling but they can't quite pinpoint where the pain is?

My DD1 who is nearly 10 (in October) often complains about tooth sensitivity too so she uses some sensodyne toothpaste to get her through it. She also has a lot of general aches as well because she's had a lot of teeth removed to help straighten them so they are moving around quite a bit. I would say that it's within the realm of normal, but it wouldn't hurt for her to have a dental check up anyway

Oh good ideA re the sensodyne. She was just feeling her teeth and now a top molar is really loose and might be gone by morning. It is freaking us both out so will make a dental appointment for tomorrow.

I think at this age too they have some pretty big adult teeth moving around under the gum and it would have to be causing them discomfort, the poor kids.

Yes, we worry about teething in infants but sort of forget about it as they get older. It is amazing today I can already see the tooth under the one that fell out on Sunday has come thru so they really move quickly.