Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Scared of going back...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a cloud of madness.
    Posts
    4,053

    Default Scared of going back...

    My last 3 trips to the dentist were hell. One for a root canal and one to replace a filling that came out. Instead of Just replacing the filling, she drilled my tooth away to almost nothing and has filled what was left - which is barely nothing. I bawled my eyes out when I saw what she did. She did t tell me what he is doing or why and said nothing to me about doing anything else to it or pulling it completely.
    So now I have a tooth ache in what I think is that same tooth. Whenever something hard hits it it hurts. But the tooth next to it which is the one I had to rc in hurts too. I do t want to go back to her. I need to find a new one.... Scared of going back to have more work done on teeth that should have been fixed already.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    11,462

    Default

    Unfortunately darl you have to clean the tooth in order to replace a filling, you can just put something back in, for it to fall out there must have been decay or it was broken. Given that it was a larger filling the chances of the nerve dying are larger, this may have happened, when did you have the filling done? It may need a bite adjustment, or given the use of the filling one of the cusps may be cracked.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a cloud of madness.
    Posts
    4,053

    Default Scared of going back...

    Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    Unfortunately darl you have to clean the tooth in order to replace a filling, you can just put something back in, for it to fall out there must have been decay or it was broken. Given that it was a larger filling the chances of the nerve dying are larger, this may have happened, when did you have the filling done? It may need a bite adjustment, or given the use of the filling one of the cusps may be cracked.
    I know I need to go back and I will. Just scared of what's going to need to be done.
    I totally get it has to be cleaned. The one that was refilled was done maybe 4 months ago now. The filling is still in that one. She may as well have pulled the tooth and just put a flat piece of filling stuff there. It's so flat now
    Oh well what has to be done has to be done. Lol

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    11,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrightSparkles View Post
    She may as well have pulled the tooth and just put a flat piece of filling stuff there. It's so flat now
    I'm not sure what you mean here lol!!
    It shouldn't be flat it should still have been built up with cusps, a crown sounds like it would be better, but given the tooth behind has had RCT on it, that will need a crown too.
    Can you ask around for recommendations for a new dentist???

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a cloud of madness.
    Posts
    4,053

    Default Scared of going back...

    Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here lol!!
    It shouldn't be flat it should still have been built up with cusps, a crown sounds like it would be better, but given the tooth behind has had RCT on it, that will need a crown too.
    Can you ask around for recommendations for a new dentist???
    Yeah de going to ask for a new dentist!
    Tooth that has the filling fall out and replaced... Nope hasn't been built up with cusps and no mention ever of a crown on it. It's literally how I described it.... It's flat she literally drilled away then flattened it with a filling. I'll definitely be asking a new dentist for another opinion on those teeth if they can be fixed with a crown etc.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    Oh I hate the dentist! I had a similar experience. I went for something else and then the dentist said "Oh you need fillings in both upper back teeth" Even though I had zero pain. Then she continued to drill away for what seemed like hours and then says "It's quite a large hole and I've had to fill it a fair bit. If you get any pain you'll have to come back and we'll take it out" Then it started to hurt a few months later WTF? It's like she MADE the hole

    I really feel for you, the dentist is horrible!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    On the other side of this screen!!!
    Posts
    11,129

    Default Scared of going back...

    If a filling isn't right or needs adjusting, you should go back and tell them. Ask your questions before they get started and make it clear you want answers and you also want them to talk you through it.

    FWIW if the tooth is still hurting, it might be because the filling is the wrong height, that can make it hurt. I hope it's something simple that can be fixed easily.

    I've had lots of really major dental work done & I take my iPod with me, plug into the music, close my eyes, slow my breathing and go to my happy place. It makes a huge difference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •