Thread: sore jaw and bite not right after filling today.

Default sore jaw and bite not right after filling today.

i got fillings in two teeth today. the procedure was about 45mins-ish. the dentist took a lot of time to get my bite right. you know how they make you bite on the paper and then grind the filling down a bit until it feels right to put your teeth together. well it took about 5 attempts for it to feel 'right' and to tell you the truth by the end of it i knew it didnt feel 100% right but i said it did cause my jaw was hurting a lot and i wanted to get it over and done with. it has been about 4 hours since i have been out of the dentist chair and my jaw is still hurting. its not super painful but slightly painful is this something that will ease with more time?

also, the filling is really irritating me due to it not feeling 'right' in my mouth. its not painful either but it feels irritating when i eat and when i move my teeth together. is this something i need to get used to or is there some more adjustment needed do you think? i dont want to pay to go back and get it looked at again. i need more work done but its gonna take me a few months to save up again so not sure if i should wait til the next appointment to bring it up.

what should i do? wait a bit or go back?

Your jaw may be aching from the effort of holding your mouth open for 45 minutes or so. It's possible the filling is 'high' and will need to be adjusted, or you may find that by tomorrow your jaw has relaxed and the bite is fine. If you do have a high spot, it will become more irritating over the next 24 hours or so, instead of less irritating. Our mouths and tongue are generally very sensitive to change.

It should not cost you anything to go back and have the filling assessed for a high spot if it has not settled by tomorrow. If your dentist tries to charge you for adjustment of a high spot (on their own work), refuse to pay - and find a new dentist!

I'd go back for a bite adjustment, you don't want to aggravate the nerve

my jaw feels alot better today and even though my tooth still feels odd it doesnt actually hurt. if it was going to cause a problem it would hurt hey?

Not neccesarily! Get it checked as the nerve can still get inflamed and cause problems