Thread: Still in pain 3rd day after extraction?

Default Still in pain 3rd day after extraction?

So I had one of the molars in my lower jaw pulled out on Thursday afternoon, as it was badly chipped and rotten, resulting in a very painful toothache. That night I wound up at the after hours GP due to severe pain, she gave me some painkillers on the spot and a script for panadeine forte. Friday was mostly okay, woke up Saturday morning with a quite swollen cheek near the extraction site and a fair bit of pain, so rang the dentist - he said it was most likely irritation of the jawbone as it was a very large tooth with long roots and quite hard to pull out. Should settle reasonably quickly though.

Saturday night found me with even the stronger painkillers wearing off and having little effect to the point I was on the brink of heading back to emergency, or trying to find an emergency dentist as I wasn't coping with the level of pain I was in - but managed to get by bringing the next dose of painkillers forward a couple of hours and going to bed. Woke up this morning and have been quite okay during the day, even managing to wean off the daytime painkillers. But it seems it comes back with a vengeance at night time - sends me scurrying back to the panadeine forte and right now has just woken me at 3am from a sound sleep...

I'm so sick of being in pain with this tooth! How long should it normally take for this to settle down? I am going back to the dentist tomorrow afternoon to get it checked (was the only time he could fit me in) but is it normal for it to be more painful at night, and if so, for how long?

not normal ..

I had wisdom teeth removed a few weeks ago, and they said so much pain could be a result of a dry socket.. I would be calling 1st thing this morning and asking for him to see you today.

Hope you get better soon.. Toothache is a really horrible pain.

I had a dry socket and man it hurt, I'd be calling in and getting it checked.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone, more than likely while I should be doing something else!

I third the dry socket idea. The dry socket happens when the blood clot that forms in the cavity left once the tooth is out falls out and there is nothing in there to start the healing process. It is really painful and they can fix it by packing it with this stuff (the name escapes me atm). Alternatively, it could be that if it was that broken down and rotten that it could be an infection so you might need some abs.

Yup sounds like dry socket, you need to make sure you rinse your mouth very very gently, as trill said it needs packing so go see your dentist ASAP xxxx

I reckon dry socket too! Means the clot has fallen out and the bone is exposed... OUCH!! You should get fairly instant relief when your dentist dresses it.

Thanks ladies - got an appointment this afternoon, so will see what he says.