Thread: URGH! Gonna be an exxie year...

Default URGH! Gonna be an exxie year...

I took DS1 to the dentist today for a check up and to be fitted for a mouthguard. Now I know his teeth are big bucky things and he has nowhere near enough room in his mouth for all his teeth and we knew that we would possibly be looking at major dental work or braces to sort it out. DD1 is the same. And the dentist confirmed it - DS1 needs a plate to expand his jaw to hopefully escape the need for braces later on but luckily for us he is happy to wait a year to start because he thinks DS's development is a little slower than average in that department and he wants to wait and see, but we need a follow up appointment in 6mths to check whether he may need it sooner. Then I commented that DD1 is the same - not enough room for her teeth and she looks like a jack-o-lantern LOL they are that crooked so he gave her a check up and confirmed that she needs a plate, but she definitely needs one within 6 months. She is only 7.5yrs. So for her 8th birthday she gets a plate , poor kid. Not only that, she has crap teeth anyway - not a lot of enamel so she gets decay really easy so she needs 4 fillings and 2 caps done to protect the only two teeth that have no decay during the holidays. At least DS1 has great teeth with no decay.

So all I can say is boy I am glad we have PHI It covered the entire $150 for their checkups today , will pay for most of the mouthguard and fillings and 60% of the retainers. I also hope we win lotto by the end of the year ROFL.

geee sherie it will be exxy but well worth it!!

DD1 will probably need a plate to expand her palate too

check out tooth rejuvination to that will help with the enamal issues

I am feeling your dental pain.

We are going to be facing the exact same thing in the next 12 months or so...eeek !

Although it is all worth it - it's still alot of $$$

Goodluck !

I am pretty sure we are going to need ortho work here too. Tell me about your insurance? Can you get it for dental only?

We'll eventually need it for DS, I'm guessing. Good news about avoiding the braces, though

Ouch! I think dentist bills might just be one of the most painful parts of being a parent! I'm glad you have PHI to help out!

Thank goodness we only have baby teeth to worry about here so far!!

Thanks, we knew it was going to happen sooner or later, poor kids. I would rather a plate than braces though that's for sure!

Tanya, Dh gets PHI paid for by his work as a fringe benefit. No reason why you couldn't take out PHI just for dental/extras cover though

Tanya - we have extras cover only. Purely for dental reasons - we knew we would be paying out for braces at some stage.

There is a 12 month wait on major dental. Our family cover costs us just over $27 per fortnight (second best extras cover)

The bonus is i am now covered for my physio etc also.

sherie the plate wont fix the problem completely braces will do it much better and quicker when the time comes to get them

Yeah I know, but he seems confident that the plates will significantly reduce the need for them. So I am hoping he is right LOL