Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is this??? abscess?

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

Default what is this??? abscess?

So, ive never had any problems with my teeth so i have no idea if this is tooth related, but its that area so im guessing it is!?
    I woke up this morning with a little bruise on my jaw line. babys head bumped into it and i thought it must have been a little pimple coming or something.
    i touched it again a few hours later and it felt bigger and more painful, but still just like a bruise or one of those under the skin pimple thingos.
    then at dinner time you could visibally see it under the skin, may face looks swolen a little on the jaw line and its now heaps bigger, goes from the base of the jaw line unwards about two inches and an inch wide,
    its still not painful, just bruised still, sore to touch, what is going on....could it be an abscess or something.???? wouldnt i have tooth ache with it???
    Any ideas?? TIA

If it was tooth ache related you would know it by now.

Sounds like it's in your gland area. Make an appointment in the morning and get it checked out as it sounds like you have a rampard infection going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivlas View Post
    If it was tooth ache related you would know it by now.

Sounds like it's in your gland area. Make an appointment in the morning and get it checked out as it sounds like you have a rampard infection going on.
    thats what i thought but i just googled ''tooth abscess no pain'' and apparently it happens more than youd think. i dont think its a glad, it not quite for enough back. its kindof inline with the corner of my mouth, maybe an inch or so further back.

normally with any lump or bump i freak out and thing the big C. but its grown so fast im pretty sure i can rule that out.

My mum had an access and had no idea. Probably worth getting checked....

My sister had something similar to what you are describing. Her face ended up ballooning. She went to the hospital and it was an infected blocked saliva gland. She had IV antibiotics and it all cleared up. Definitely get it checked out x

if there is no swelling on your gum inside then i wouldn't think it was an abscess. maybe try a heat pack on the area to help drain any fluid

are you talking inside your mouth on the gum or on your skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    are you talking inside your mouth on the gum or on your skin?
    just on the outside, along the jaw lime of my face, i cant feel any swelling or anything on the inside. just a soft squishy lump type swelling on the outside. i swear its grown again in the last hour. when i look in the mirror i can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulliloo View Post
    if there is no swelling on your gum inside then i wouldn't think it was an abscess. maybe try a heat pack on the area to help drain any fluid
    thanks il try that now!!!

i get it checked out tomorrow, wonder if i should go to the dentist or the gp?

doesnt sound like its a dental thing.. i could be but i doubt it

GP definitely. It doesn't sound like a tooth thing. Hope you're ok this morning x

i actually rang my doctor this morning and talked to the nurse there, she said to come in, i have an appointment tomorrow morning. couldnt go today, dh is working and only have 1 car.

its bigger today and a little harder, still no other pain with it though, just swelling. and i feel well in myself. we will see what my gp says. thanks

hope the dr sorts out your lump today. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulliloo View Post
    hope the dr sorts out your lump today. good luck.
    thanks hun, i actually had to cancel the docs as dh had to work and i felt ok. its now a hard lump and not as painful. although im starting to feel a bit flu-ish. cant make the docs till thursday now so fingers crossed then flu feeling goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    My sister had something similar to what you are describing. Her face ended up ballooning. She went to the hospital and it was an infected blocked saliva gland. She had IV antibiotics and it all cleared up. Definitely get it checked out x
    thats what it turned out to be, blocked saliva gland, its gone down heaps but is still a lump there. having an ultra sound to see if its still blocked. was told to chew gum to keep the saliva flowing and drink plenty. dont know what they will do if its still blocked???

thanks all

DP has this problem. They are encouraging you to chew gum etc as this will help pass a stone providing it is small enough. Otherwise you're looking at surgery. Sadly DP's stone is huge so surgery is the only option.

Just popping to see if things have cleared up

Quote Originally Posted by beckoes View Post
    thats what it turned out to be, blocked saliva gland, its gone down heaps but is still a lump there. having an ultra sound to see if its still blocked. was told to chew gum to keep the saliva flowing and drink plenty. dont know what they will do if its still blocked???

thanks all
    Sorry have been overseas! So glad that's all it was. Hope you are feeling better now. I was so shocked when I saw my sister and so relieved when she got better. Hope you're all better now too x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast