Thread: Who's had a root canal?

Default Who's had a root canal?

So I went to the dentist recently and I need a root canal . I'm scared - is it really as bad as it's reputation? How painful is it? Can you feel anything after the needle?

There are 2 ways to get a root canal done - quickly or in stages.

Essentially it's drilling out the decayed tooth, then drilling out the nerve. This is then packed to allow it all to "settle" and then the final filling is done.

Essentially you're left with a "dead" tooth.

Is it painful? Well, I had one done that was fine after the needle was given, and one where they couldn't get the needle to work (I had 6 needles all up and still no luck) so it's really dependant on yourself, your dentist and your teeth.

The first one I had actually cracked and split during the "settling" time so it was a wasted effort. The next I got my tooth pulled and the third has been fine.

Take your ipod It makes the world of difference!

And good luck!

I had one done - took a couple of sessions. A great dentist and it didn't hurt a bit. He even phoned me up a few hours later to see how I was doing and I could happily let him know that it was all fine.

I have been advised by another dentist though recently that I will need a crown on the root canal tooth to save what I have left to protect it for another 15 years or more. She said it should be done within 5 years (max) of the root canal treatment.

Thanks for the replies. Mine is being done in 3 stages and I will need a crown. Geez Kazbah you poor thing having 6 needles and none of them working! I'm praying that doesn't happen to me .

RoyalUK it sounds like you have a great dentist there! Mine is a new one so I don't really know what she's like. Hopefully good!

smiles4u Guest

Question

Claire ... have you had the root canal done yet ?

I had one done about 12years ago then about two years ago had to have the crown of it done again.

I truely didn't think it was that bad, it was just the having to go to the Dentist for three visits for the original root canal to be finished

Hi smiles4u, I had the first stage done last week, and no it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Although the dentist put a rubber-like sheet all over my mouth, so that was a strange sensation almost like you're being gagged! I still have 3 more sessions to go. I hope I never have to have another one!

smiles4u Guest

Oh that's so good to hear Claire ... yeh, i know what you mean as i've gotta go to the Dentist later this month for a check up but i have a problem with a tooth recently which i'm soooo hoping isn't another root canal in the making, augh

Once you have had that first initial stage done you will find the others stages you certainlly will be fine with