Thread: Wisdom Tooth Extractions - Wud u do it a week after giving birth???

Default Wisdom Tooth Extractions - Wud u do it a week after giving birth???

I've got this very painful wisdom tooth that is half gone due to decay. Yes yes yes.. i know i should have tended to it sooner... but i didn't.

I went to my dentist when I was 16w pg with it, and on advice from her and my OB, I elected to do nothing and wait til after bub so i could have an xray. So here I am 38w and in alot of pain. It has been throbbing on and off for the last 6 weeks pretty bad.

I'm booked in for an induction on saturday and I've booked my oral surgeon for next week...

my question is... for those that have had them out.. how painful will it be to have that done.. BF and look after a newborn?????

Like most things the experience is different to everyone. 2 of my wisdom teeth were impacted in the bone, so i had a painful recovery, no way i would have liked to have to that with a new born. But if it is a straight forward extraction i would have thought it would be ok.........
    Talk about a rock and hard place, what a crappy decision to have to make. Good luck with your induction.

Well i guess it depends on how much actual 'surgery' you require on our mouth. If it is a simple extraction from the top of your mouth, i would say you should be fine, but if it is the bottom and/or requires cutting the gum and lots of pking and prodding, maybe hang off.

I notice from your ticker and details this will be bubba #4 and your DH is away a lot. So you need to ask yourself, if you are in pain and its that bad that you cant get off the couch, will you get any help?
    I guess your 10yr old will be able sort herself out and be a bit helpful (going on my experience here, DSS is now 11), what about th others?
    Do you have a supportive family that will be able to help?

Also are you planning on BF? how will the surgery impact this decision, ie are you goin need medication.
    When i had my wisdom tooth out (in the chair, impacted bottom tooth) i needed a fair bit of medication to deal with the pain, and it went on for several days. I am not that much of a soak, but this was really quite bad and i didnt really want to do anything.

I know i havent really given you a straight answer, but maybe a little food for though.

GL with the induction and you decision

I had one removed while pregnant & 1 removed about 6 days after having DD. As with everything you wont know until you do it as everyones pain threshold is different. I am allergic to codeine so could only have panadol for pain relief which worked fine as I wasn't in much pain, although I did get a headache from it on 2 days afterwards.
    I have a pretty high threshold though, I never have the needle of anasthetic (sp?) for fillings either LOL

If I were you I would get it out ASAP, the sooner you get it out, the sooner the pain from it will end!

ETA: Just saw your ticker... I would make sure you have support there to help if you need it before organising to get it out JMO

I had 1 removed in the chair and it was only really sore for about 24hrs, if they are doing it in the chair it might be worth while, especially as it is causing you pain already

My friends couldn't eat at all or drink without pain, couldn't talk for days, were on heavy meds to help with the pain, but they make you sleepy...
    It depends on the sort of pain you are in atm I suppose. EVERYONE I know that's had teeth taken out via surgery have been really knocked about after. If the pain you have now is managable for another couple of weeks I would wait until bub is a month or older so you have some sort of routine.
    How is it gong to effect your breastfeeding? I know the meds my bestie was on you wouldn't be able to take when feeding. Have you talked to them about this?

hmm.. thanks girls. I never thought about the pain meds and BF.

I might have another consult with the surgeon and discuss pain meds etc.. and then possibly push it off for another month.

I can hande pain for another month... it isn't infected which is good.

thanks again!

PS.. given that it is decayed.. i'm assuming the extraction wont be too hard!

i did! it was about 10 days after Mia was born. First tooth i had ever had pulled.. damn wisdom tooth. SO yeh i would, coz i did.

I think it would be the right idea to put it off. I was in so much pain after I had my bottomn ones removed, I could barely function for a month (but I have a pretty low pain threshold...)

btw. i was BFing and on painkillers from surgery and they gave me needle to numb it and said all will be fone with Bfing and it was.

Quote Originally Posted by mumofmany View Post

PS.. given that it is decayed.. i'm assuming the extraction wont be too hard!
    I'd definately speak to the dentist again because with one of my wisdom teeth that I had extracted, I had put it off as I didnt want another tooth extracted so soon after the other & the dentist told me not to put it off too long as the decay will make it harder to pull out because it can brake easier as he's pulling it out so could crack into pieces & make it alot more difficult than a "healthy" wisdom tooth.

Just something else to keep in mind. As I said, best to ask your dentist.

just thought i'd update on this..

i went to the surgeon and as the wisdom had been left too long and was growing on a 45degree angle into the molar in front, both the wisdom and molar had too be removed.

had it done in the chair.. not too bad.

the stitches and swelling was pretty uncomfortable for 3 days tho... but panadol every 4 hrs fixed that up.

all good.. glad it's done.. just waiting for the stiches to come out now.