Thread: Wisdom tooth removal during pregnancy

Default Wisdom tooth removal during pregnancy

Hiya!

Just wondering if anyone can tell me when it's ok to have a wisdom tooth out while pregnant?

TIA

Absolutely fine to have a tooth out while pg. The local anaesthetics are safe to have, you just can't have an x-ray.

Great thanks - google really isn't friendly lol! My wisdom tooth is rotten (came through that way) and is breaking off bit by bit. Obviously only in the chair would be ok? Not sedation?

I was told second trimester I think.

A friend has just had 4 out and she had a general. There was a bit of pain for the first 2 days but that was because she couldn't take certain pain killers due to pregnancy

my dentist wont remove teeth while pregnant, but i cant remember why he recommended against it...

Mine wouldn't do it either! Instead they did a temporary filling on the tooth and gave me anti-bs. Toothache while pregnant is horrendous!!

Fine to have it out. I had 1 tooth out each preg. First time third trimester, second time end of first trimester. Both times it was done with local although I was offered a GA the first time.

Ga is usually avoided in first trimester as are locals due to the small risk of it impacting on baby's development.

I very recently had a top wisdom tooth removed that was broken and horrible. I expected it to be excruciating but it was fine. Even after he had pulled it I wasn't even sure he'd removed it all! A few hrs later I attended my son's swimming carnival and was fine. I then waited for the pain to come but it didn't.
    If you are having a top wisdom tooth removed, I would say there would be no real issue. Apparently bottom ones hurt a lot more. I had xrays done which you wouldn't be able to have. Definitely give your dentist a call and find out what they think.

I'm pretty sure you can get dental X-ray if pregnant and in pain/ emergency.

I had one out (top) at 30 weeks. No probs. my dentist actually reckons its a great time to get them out, because of the relaxing, they're easier to pll so cause less pain.