Modern parents are growing increasingly worried about the environment. Whether it’s about changing weather patterns or unsustainable waste, we’re all asking ourselves if there’s more we could be doing to save the planet.
Busy mum of two and successful podcast presenter, Sophie Pearce, is no different. In her hit podcast Beyond The Bump, Sophie and co-host Jayde Couldwell discuss the realities of modern parenting.
Followers of her popular Instagram account will know Sophie and her beautiful family spend a lot of time outdoors. Sophie doesn’t claim to be a perfect eco-warrior, but she has made significant changes in her daily life as she consciously strives for a more sustainable way of life.
Sophie says: “We are definitely not perfect when it comes to being eco or plastic-free, but I think the pressure to always do it perfectly can stop people from making any changes at all”.
Sophie’s easy switches for eco-friendly parenting include:
- Choosing Beyond by BabyLove – eco-friendly nappy pants, made with soft organic cotton for delicate skin. They contain PEFC certified pulp from sustainably managed forests and are produced in solar-powered factories that produce zero waste
- Shopping at bulk food stores and markets for her family’s snacks, to reduce plastic packaging
- Taking her snazzy reusable coffee cup with her wherever she goes
- Always using eco-friendly dishwashing liquid and laundry detergents
- Avoiding flimsy plastic products that don’t last and opting instead for longer-lasting alternatives
- Being mindful of food waste and trying to use what’s left in the fridge rather than buying new ingredients.
Sophie says, “I don’t think feelings of guilt and shame are ever a good way to get people to make changes. I take the approach of changing one little thing at a time so that it never feels like a big change or a huge inconvenience. I think if people make changes just because they feel guilty, then they are never going to last”.
She adds, “There are also so many options with eco-conscious products nowadays that they aren’t as expensive as they used to be”.
Sophie’s top tip for parents who want to switch to a more environmentally-friendly lifestyle is: “Start out small, with one thing at a time. Question the things you buy and do through habit and then ask whether there’s an easy switch you can make. Don’t try to be perfect”.
If you want to make the switch to Beyond by BabyLove you can view the range and its list of eco-credentials here: https://babylovenappies.com.au/our-products/beyond-by-babylove/