Meatloaf Recipe – A Low Fat, Family Friendly Meatloaf Recipe
In this recipe, we have used both lean beef and chicken mince, in order to keep the dish as low fat as possible, and it works! You can use chicken or pork totally if you wish; it makes no difference to the quantities and can be just as tasty. You may prefer to add extra herbs to just spice it up a little. Surprisingly low in calories and fat, it can be served warm or cold and is great for picnics. Serve with homemade coleslaw (use a light dressing or low-fat mayonnaise) or a potato salad with a little olive oil dressing, lemon juice and chopped spring onions or scallions. If there is any leftover mixture, this can be turned into meatballs. Alternatively, make extra mixture anyway, make into meatballs and freeze, ready for use another time.
Serves: approx 8 slices
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time:1 hour
Meatloaf Recipe – Ingredients
- 300g/10 1/2 ounces of lean minced beef
- 200g/7 ounces of minced chicken or lean pork
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 50g/2 ounces of packet stuffing mix or 50g/2 ounces of brown breadcrumbs
- Large handful of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4tbs of fresh grated parmesan
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8-10 slices of prosciutto ham (you can use streaky bacon but it increases the fat content)
- A little oil for greasing
Meatloaf Recipe – Method
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Tip the chicken, beef and stuffing (or breadcrumbs) into a large bowl. Add the chopped onions, garlic, parsley and oregano. Put in the beaten egg and mix thoroughly.
- Lightly oil a 500g/1lb loaf tin and line it with the prosciutto, slightly overlapping and leaving some at the top to fold over. If you have any left, chop finely and place into the mixture. Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and press down firmly. Fold over the prosciutto to enclose the meatloaf.
- Put the loaf tin into a deep baking tray and fill to halfway up the side of the loaf tin with hot water.
- Bake for 1 hour until the sides of the loaf are coming away from the tin. Cool for 10 mins and then drain off any excess liquid from the loaf. Turn out on to a chopping board and slice, or leave cold until ready for slicing.
- Serve with a potato salad, coleslaw or jacket sweet potato and peas! It is an amazingly healthy dish.
Meatloaf Recipe – Tips
- Make a fresh tomato sauce to serve with, or a lovely chicken gravy.
- This dish can be served cold as part of a picnic or a dish for groups of people
- Make a little extra of the mix and freeze for using as meatballs. You can also use this mix to fill sausage rolls with as a different flavour and texture.