Muffin Recipe – Carrot And Orange Bran Muffins
Delicious and as healthy as possible muffins, with the bran being a good source of fibre. This recipe is a little like carrot cake, and can also be made with grated courgettes. See our tips for making them a little more indulgent if required!
Serves: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins (you need to test though)
Carrot And Orange Bran Muffins Recipe – Ingredients
- 75grams / 2 1/2 ounces shredded bran cereal
- 225ml / 8 1/2 ounces of skimmed milk
- 1 medium orange, zest only
- 3 large carrots peeled and grated (squeeze out a little of the juice so the muffins are not too wet)
- 125grams / 4 1/2 ounces of light muscovado sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 200grams / 7 ounces of self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking power
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground ginger (you can leave this out if you don’t like ginger)
- 2 large free range eggs
- 4 tbs of sunflower oil
Carrot And Orange Bran Muffins Recipe – Method
- Soak the bran in the milk in a large mixing bowl giving it a quick stir. Soak for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220C / 430 degrees F / Gas Mark 7. Line a muffin tin with the cases.
- Add most of the orange zest to the bran mix. Add the grated carrots, (should be about 150g / 5 1/2 ounces). The mix will seem very ‘mushy’ at this stage, so add the sugar and mix. Sift in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger and just leave as it is.
- Put the oil and eggs into another bowl and just break up a little, do not beat heavily. Tip into the bran mix and stir everything together with a wooden spoon.
- Drop the mixture into your cases individually. If required, put a little brown sugar on the top of each, but remember this all adds to the waistline!
- Bake for20 minutes, ensuring you test the muffins ” they should spring back when you touch the centre with your finger. Cook a little longer if necessary but make sure you check again after a couple of minutes.
Carrot And Orange Bran Muffins Recipe – Tips
- If you can find them, try to buy some ‘tulip’ paper cases ” they make the muffins look so attractive. You can normally buy these online with someone like ebay or Amazon in small quantities.
- If you are doing a tea party or another special occasion ” mix up 1 tbs of caster sugar and 120g / 4 1/2 ounces of cream cheese. When you are putting the mixture into your cases, only fill to half, and place a small spoonful of this on to the top of the mixture, and then put the remaining mixture into the case. It’s a real surprise when your guests eat them!
- Try adding a few sultanas to the mix for an energy boost.
- If you don’t have the sugar specified in this recipe, caster sugar can be used, but this will move them away from the more healthy side of the fence!