Pumpkin Soup Recipe – The Best Pumpkin Soup Recipe
This is a really simple version of pumpkin soup, quick to make and very tasty. Let us know what you think of our pumpkin soup recipe by leaving your comments below.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 50mins-1 hour
Pumpkin Soup Recipe Ingredients
- 1 medium-sized pumpkin (approx 2kgs)
- 3 medium-sized white onions, peeled down to the root but with root left intact
- 3 large garlic cloves
- Small amount of sunflower oil or light oil for roasting
- 800ml of chicken or vegetable stock (there is a little extra needed here depending on how thick you like your soup)
Pumpkin Soup Recipe Method
- Preheat your oven to 210C/400F.
- Peel and dice the pumpkin into approx 3cm/1.5in dice. DO NOT THROW AWAY THE SEEDS!
- Cut the onions into six segments down to the root, but leaving the root intact. Leave the garlic cloves in their skins.
- Toss the pumpkin, onions and garlic cloves in a little oil, so they are coated but not saturated. Place on a flat baking tray and roast in the oven until the pumpkin is soft and a little charred around the edges. Remove and put to one side.
- Bring your stock in a pan up to a rolling boil and remove from the heat. Remove the garlic cloves from the tray and tip the pumpkin and onions into the stock. Holding the garlic cloves in your hand, squeeze the flesh of the garlic into the stock. Stir well.
- At this stage, if you want to ‘spice’ up your soup, add a teaspoon of dried cumin and a couple of dashes of paprika. With a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. Add a little more stock or water if the soup is too thick for your taste.
- Add more seasoning, pepper or salt if required.
Pumpkin Soup Recipe Tips
- Toast the leftover pumpkin seeds for a healthy snack, or once toasted sprinkle them on the top of your soup.
- Add a swirl of sour cream or crème fraîche to serve.
- Substitute the pumpkin for any kind of squash, it will be just as delicious!
- Use your empty pumpkin skin/squash skins to serve your soup in for an impressive dinner party dish.
- For even more spice, add some curry powder or chilli to the soup before blending.