Sausage Roll Recipe – A Yummy Sausage Roll Recipe With Filling Variations
The great sausage roll ” stalwart of parties and get-togethers! A basic recipe is given below, but you will see that the ‘wrappers’ are different in the photos. See our tips to discover how to change the humble sausage roll quickly and easily and very tasty too. We make the sausage rolls full of filling, unlike some shop-bought ones where they consist mainly of pastry and no filling!
Serves: 20 sausage rolls
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Sausage Roll Recipe – Ingredients
- 2lbs/1kg of good quality sausage meat
- 1lb/500g pack of readymade puff pastry
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp of dried mixed herbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
Sausage Roll Recipe – Method
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6.
- In a large bowl, mix the sausage meat, onions and herbs together. Flour your work surface with a dusting of flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a large rectangular shape, quite thinly, and then cut in half to form 2 long rectangles.
- Place half of the sausage meat mixture along the middle of each rectangle like a long tube. Brush one side of the pastry with the egg wash. Fold the other side of the pastry over the sausage meat and press down firmly to seal. Trim off any excess pastry. Cut each rectangle into even-sized pieces (about 8-10).
- Place on a baking tray and cook for 15-20 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden and the sausage meat cooked through.
- Leave to cool before removing from the tray. If you have any leftover sausage meat, make into meatballs for future use.
Sausage Roll Recipe – Tips
- In the photograph, you will see a ‘thinner’ and thicker-looking pastry. The thinner pastry is actually made from using wraps. Simply roll the sausage meat in the wraps and seal. Very crispy and crunchy, and in fact much less fat.
- Change the filling to Spanish chorizo sausage for a lovely spicy alternative.
- Mix a little chopped apple or apricot in with the sausage meat for another flavour
- Before cooking, sprinkle with poppy seeds to give extra crunch and a lovely finish
- Mix some mango chutney in with the sausage meat ” absolutely delicious and such a surprise when you bite into them!