Spaghetti Bolognese – An Easy Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
A very simple recipe for this Italian favourite.
Preparation Time: 10 Mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Spaghetti Bolognese – Ingredients
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 400 grams/14 oz of chopped tinned tomatoes
- 500 grams/1 lb lean beef mince
- 400 grams/14 oz of dried spaghetti
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
- 1 heaped teaspoon of dried oregano
- 150ml/5 fl.oz red wine
- 500 ml/17 1/2 fl. oz beef stock
- 2-3 rashers of bacon, chopped
Spaghetti Bolognese – Method
- Put the olive oil in the pan, tip in the mince and cook for about 10 mins until browned. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- Add a little more oil and cook the onion, carrot, garlic and bacon until the bacon is cooked and the vegetables softened.
- Put mince back into the pan; pour in the wine, tomatoes and stock. Add the thyme leaves and oregano and stir well.
- Bring up to the boil, and then leave to simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced down and the alcohol has burnt off.
- Place your dried spaghetti in a pan of boiling water and cook for approx l0 minutes, or as per packet instructions. Swirl your spaghetti on to a plate and top with the bolognese mixture.
Spaghetti Bolognese – Tips
- Make double the amount of meat mixture and freeze the rest ” use for a spiced shepherd’s pie or for stuffing big tomatoes.
- Toast off some fresh breadcrumbs in a frying pan and use to top the bolognese for more texture. Finish with some shredded basil or parsley and a little shaved parmesan.
- My family love spaghetti bolognese with a half/half mix of chopped tomatoes and condensed tomato soup – it gives a beautiful, full, rich flavour and tastes a little sweeter. If that sounds good to you, give it a try!