Spanish Style Fried Rice Recipe
This dish is reminiscent of a Spanish paella style rice but not using risotto or carnaroli rice, just simple quick-cook rice, which is then fried after being cooked, so you can use up ready-cooked rice if you have it.
Serves: 4-6 (depending on whether an accompaniment or a main course)
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Spanish Style Fried Rice Recipe – Ingredients
- 800grams/2lbs long grain rice
- 2 tsp of turmeric or a few saffron strands
- 3 mixed peppers (red, green and yellow), sliced
- 1 large red onion diced
- Handful of cooked green beans, chopped
- A couple of ‘shakes’ of paprika
- Chorizo sausage (or similar spicy sausage) approx 20cm/8in, chopped
- Small tin of beans such as borlotti or kidney beans or black eyed beans
- Olive oil for frying
- A couple of ‘shakes’ of dried oregano
Spanish Style Fried Rice Recipe – Method
- Put the rice into a saucepan ” one cup of rice per one cup of water. (If you have cooked rice already prepared, follow the instructions from later in the recipe).
- Add the turmeric or saffron and stir. Bring the rice up to boiling and leave for about one minute, then turn off the heat and place a lid on the top, and let the rice continue to cook and absorb the liquid.
- When all the liquid has gone, test the rice ” it should be soft, but a little bite in it is fine. If it is not cooked, add some more liquid and bring back up to the boil, then turn off the heat again. Drain, rinse and leave to one side.
- Put a little olive oil into a frying pan and soften the onions on low heat. Put in the peppers and cook until slightly soft, then put in the chorizo. The chorizo has an oily texture, so the colour will run out and make a lovely ‘yellowy-red’ colour. Make sure you stir continuously to prevent burning.
- Put the green beans and rice into the pan to reheat, stir and then add the tinned beans. If the mixture is a little dry, add a little more olive oil.
- Add the dried oregano, or fresh if you have it, stir well. Your dish is ready to serve.
Spanish Style Fried Rice Recipe – Tips
- If you have any leftover chicken or maybe some cooked prawns, add these at the last minute and heat through for another dimension to your dish.
- Otherwise ” why not serve with our apricot chicken recipe ” delicious!