Tuna Pasta Bake Recipe with Cherry Tomatoes and Broccoli
A delicious tuna dish, with the benefit of whole wheat pasta and another 'superfood' broccoli. White pasta has very little health benefits, whereas whole wheat pasta is infinitely superior and more healthy for you. Try whole wheat pasta even if you tried it before and didn't like it " manufacturers have improved this pasta enormously over the last few years. It is full of complex carbohydrates and fibre, as it is not heavily processed and retains its natural bran, germ, fibre, vitamins and minerals. You will find you also eat less of it, as it is more filling long term than white pasta. Good for regularity of the digestive system, healthy bones, cells and immune system.
Broccoli is rated to be a 'super food', as it detoxifies the system and provides almost all nutrients essential to good health due to the antioxidant compounds in every piece. Packed with essential vitamins it provides the body with 'smart' carbohydrates and fibre to promote fight against diseases. Cherry tomatoes and green beans in the rest of this recipe also contain essential vitamins and minerals.
Preparation and Cooking Time: 45 mins
Tuna Pasta Bake Recipe Ingredients
- 16 oz/450 grams Wholewheat Pasta such as rigatoni or penne (this is allowing extra to make a salad the following day)
- 8oz/220 grams canned tuna (in spring water) drained
- 6 oz/170 grams cooked long stem broccoli
- 8 oz/220 grams can of chopped tomatoes
- 12 cherry tomatoes, preferably red and yellow
- 3 oz/90 grams fine green beans, cooked 'al dente'
- 3 oz/90 grams of tinned kidney beans or borlotti beans or similar
- 3 oz/90 grams of sweetcorn, not essential but if desired
- Seasoning to taste
- 1 jar of ready made white sauce
- 4 oz/125 grams of gruyere or hard cheese, finely grated
Tuna Pasta Bake Recipe Method
- Cook your wholewheat pasta in plenty of water for about 20/25 mins until still firm but edible. Drain, but reserve a little of the pasta water. While the pasta is cooking, blanch the green beans and cook for about 5 mins so that the beans still retain a slight crunch. Drain and refresh in cold water.
- Heat oven to 170C/325F/Gas mark 3
- Using your chopping board cut your long stem broccoli, removing just the very end so that you have pieces about 3-4 inches long. Lightly blanch for about 5 mins, drain and refresh in cold water. Halve the cherry tomatoes (try to use red and yellow as this makes a very colourful dish)
- Put your pasta and all the vegetables into the dish and mix. Add the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, sweetcorn, white sauce and seasoning and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle the cheese lightly over the top and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the dish is warmed all the way through.
- Serve with a salad or grilled ciabatta bread.
Tuna Pasta Bake Recipe Tips
- Make extra pasta to use with a salad the following day.
- If you want it more 'saucy', add some passata