Thread: Adopting Twins / Triplets ?

Panthya Guest

Default Adopting Twins / Triplets ?

I just watched a program on Foxtel about Twins and it made me start to wonder.

Does anyone know if Twins, Triplets or other mulitples are put up for adoption very often?

I have heard of one couple who adopted a daughter who was a twin, the birth mother decided to keep one of the girls but put the other one up for adoption.

Anyway its ok if no one knows or has an answer to my question, as its just something I thought would be interesting to ask.

Hmm im not sure if there would be many..... possibly alot of cases where 1 sibling does get put up... but not sure if mulitples do.....id find it hard to keep one and give another away.

Its sad.....but i guess theres reasons for it

Oh no thats horrible. Id hate for twins to be seperated

yeah but Caro, whether you adopt the twin or not, someone else will

Panthya Guest

Just thought I better point out here that the couple who adopted their daughter, didnt know she was a twin at the time, they only found out later that the birth mother decided to only keep one of the girls.

Sorry I didnt mention that in my first post.

I myself would never be able to adopt just one twin.

My family is full of twins and my best friend has twins and I know how devistating it would be if any of them were separated and grew up apart.

Anyway I dont think that separating twins in regards to adoption is something that would happen normally, this was probably a very rare case, as its the only one I've very heard about.

The idea of twins being adopted was just something that suddenly made me wonder about it and remember about this other couple having only one of the twins.

That would be horrible to split twins! I'm a twin and we were adopted together. I have such a strong bond with her I can't even imagine being separated from her. My parents were thrilled to be abel to adopt twins and I'm so glad they didn't try to adopt us out separately.

I have a friend whom has 2 adopted sisters that are twins, they recently turned 21.
    Her Parents (she has a biological Brother too) were fostering these twin girls from 6days of age & at their 18th birthday they presented their Foster parents with legal adoption papers & had thier names legally changed to their Foster (now Adoptive) parents!

It was awesome....

So I guess it has happened but not sure of how common.... Best wishes in your plight!

It would be a bad move to adopt TWINS to separate families. In the past, this may have happened, but in this day and age I would think it would only happen in rare circumstances. Twins should not be separated at all, in my humble opinion.

As an adoptee, finding your heritage is very important (to most of us). If I discovered I was part of a twin, then I would be quite devastated that we were separated.

Often, siblings are adopted by the same families, and I think this is a great thing. To have some genetic familiarities and understanding would be a great thing. I got lucky with my siblings, even though we're chalk and cheese, we support and protect each other greatly.

I can relate to that Caro - It's tough to take, being separated from your biological people.

I recently discovered I have a (half) biological sister who is only 2 years younger than me. Luckily for her, our biological mother didn't adopt her out and they live together today!

I guess if I didn't have such a wonderful adoptive family, this would be harder for me to deal with. When I first found out I was a bit shocked. But different circumstances etc made that happen the way it did.

But a twin, that would be even more difficult I imagine.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Some people I know of adopted twin boys locally in NSW - they would be in their late teens now. They came and spoke at adoption parenting course we were doing.
    Definately they would adopt them together locally now - not sure about ICA .

I believe it would be rare though.

Some other people I know have permanent care of twins B/G (5yrs) in another state and are hoping to adopt them.

a family friend has identical twins she adopted from indoniesa i think.. they're so gorgeous! i haven't seen them in ages, i think they'd be about 8 or 9 now...

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I reminded myself of the twins adopted separately recently - whose adopted mothers found each other by accident in America I think ... and put the pieces together - theya re about 5 I think - neither parent knew of the other child's existence but are forging a bond between them /families.
    Last edited by Baby~amore`; March 31st, 2007 at 04:58 PM.