Thread: Adoption in Victoria

Default Adoption in Victoria

After much discussion about IVF or adoption my DH & I have decided to head down the adoption path. It has been a long time for us TTC and we were going to try IVF after our trip to Europe in June & still may in the future, but for now our hearts are 100% set on adoption (when we got our first letter from DHS to start the whole process I cried & wanted to frame it!!). We are in the process of adopting a baby in Victoria, has anyone else here gone through the process? I would love to hear about your experiences.

:P

Congratulations lil chookie & Dh!!!!

I hope it all goes really well for you guys!!! I am really happy for you that things are all moving!!!

All the best & please keep us posted!!!

Hi Jacinta,

We were looking at PC and they asked us if we had considered adoption. We thought we would just be added to a big waiting list and have to wait years, but we have since found out that is not correct. So we are now in the beginning stages of the infant adoption program (3-6mths old). We have also spent quite a bit of time talking with a local fostering agency and will definately be working with them and having children come into our home in the future. But for now we are 100% focused on the infant adoption.

:P

Congratulations Lil Chook on your decision!

I don't know much about adoption however my DH worked (just changed jobs) with a lady who is on the list to adopt an Australian baby. They are 9th on the list and apparently there are about 12 babies up for adoption every year. They are hoping/expecting to meet their new baby by the middle of next year.
    My Aunt has an adopted son who she actually looked after through foster care and then decided to adopt. So that is another option. I think she began caring for my cousin when he was 12 months old. They decided to adopt at about 18 months and it took them until he was almost 3 before the process was complete but it was a complex situation because the mother (apparently) was reluctant to give him up for adoption at first.
    I really wish you all the best and that your journey is a quick and enjoyable one!

MG

Congratulations Lil chookie! If you need any assistance from the legal angle, let me know. I have done a few adoptions in Victoria.

Best wishes!

doulamelissa Guest

Default single 27 years old

hello all
    just read a few of your post new to the group
    love to hear from any one on this issuse
    i am single 27 unable to have children and wish to thing about adoption of a child /baby who has specil needs
    i know to go on a adoption list in vic to a normal child you need to be married what about this issuse
    any one have any ideas
    hugs
    Doula Melissa

I'd still get in contact with your local DHS. I'm pretty sure you need to be married or in a long term relationship.

I think there are some different requirements, most require you to be married and married for a certain length of time eg: 2-3 years and if you have had a divorce need to be married for around 5 years. Although dont quote me exactally on these figures, have been doing so much reading about Australia and Overseas adoption all the info is mixed up in my brain at the moment.

Good luck with adopting your little angel. I am an adult adoptee, who has just made contact with my birth mother. If you would like some perspective on this (although it'll be a way off), I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts. I think it's really important for a child to know where they've come from.

Alex

Alex,

Thank you for you reply. My DH & I couldn't agree more and plan to be very open and honest with our child. We have been reading as much information, books ect. to gain as much of a perspective as we can. We really want to understand as best we can the feelings that our child may experience. Anything you would like to share would be so appreciated.

I just wanted to say congratulations and good luck lil_chookie! I hope that your adoption journey is short and that you have that precious baby just waiting for the right family in your arms soon!

(P.S - I've been watching the show 'Adoption' on Foxtel and I have so much respect and admiration for the struggles adoptive families often go through to bring a child into their homes.)

country_mum Guest

This is my 1st post on this site so I hope I do it right!

Best wishes with your adoption process. I have 2 adopted children who were babies at the time. I feel incredibly fortunate to be "blessed" with these wonderful children. If you would like more info please ask.

You did well with your first post!!

I would love to hear anything about your experience you would like to share. Please feel free to come and talk in my online journal (just below this thread).

Panthya Guest

Hi Lil chookie,

My husband and I are looking at local Adoption as well.

Good Luck with your process.

Panthya

Hi Lil Chookie

Sorry for delay in reply. I would be more than happy to tell you anything you want to know, about my experience. However I don't have time to write much today. So check back next week! take care, x