Thread: Foster Care Qu's for Vic?

Default Foster Care Qu's for Vic?

I've been reading the other posts and have just downloaded the register interest form off the internet and have read the info pack.
    And I have found some questions that haven't been answered for me yet, and I would like to know before I register and potentially waste CAFS time.

What I am curious about is what happens if I enter into a foster care arrangement and then I become pregnant?
    And is it an issue to move house during a foster care placement/arrangement?
    And what level of impact would a part time step child have on the application?
    And what sort of child set up (ie furniture books toys etc) is needed when you aren't sure about age selection?

Sorry if these have been answered before and I haven't seen them.

What you need to do, Sonia, is get in contact with your regional Department of Human Services, Foster Care/Adoption section. They will tell you about all this sort of thing and answer your questions. Every adult in the household who stays overnight when you have a foster child, will be required to have a police check. You will also be required to complete a number of questionnaires about the age/s of children that you will be willing to foster, and also whether you are looking at short term or long term or permanent care.

There may also be courses that you might be required to do (can't remember exactly, it's been a while).

If you have any further queries, let me know.

Some answers for you which may be helpful...

What I am curious about is what happens if I enter into a foster care arrangement and then I become pregnant?

- during your assessment as a foster carer you will need to communicate your desire to have a child to the case worker who is working with you. If you become pregnant and are happy to continue fostering the child/ren you are currently looking after, then there should be no reason it cannot continue as normal. If however you would not wish to continue fostering after you became pregnant, the case worker would most likely recommend that you do not take on any placements which are likely to be long term.

And is it an issue to move house during a foster care placement/arrangement?
    - No. There may be some changes which need to take place regarding a foster child's school / access with birth family etc. but this is dependent on how far you move.

And what level of impact would a part time step child have on the application?
    - Nothing negative. It is very strongly advised that you speak to all children in your home at an age appropriate level about the possibility of fostering and nut out any potential problems with someone from your local agency during the assessment process.

And what sort of child set up (ie furniture books toys etc) is needed when you aren't sure about age selection?
    - Foster carers can specify the age of children they are happy to provide care for. It's probably a good idea to see if you can get your hands on some things appropriate for that age group, but generally you can do so as you go. Experienced carers are generally very well set up for their target age group as once you start you tend to accumulate resources quickly from a variety of situations.

Thank you so much for answering my questions, its really appreciated and makes me more comfortable in taking the steps to make this possible.

No problem! Glad to help.