Thread: Fostering with a family

Default Fostering with a family

To all you lovelies who have opened your home to kids who need support or those who have thought about, been fostered or have any advice...

I have always been interested in fostering. I believe if you have something that others need you should try and give it to them within reason.

We have a happy, safe house, filled with love and there are so many kids out there in need of just that. I have heard the preparation takes up to 6 months and figure we could start doing short term or emergency care of babies once DS is about 1.

My thinking is that with DS 1 and DD 3 if we go on to foster more they will just think it is a normal part of life, with small children we are always around the house etc so can offer round the clock care etc, and also if we keep thinking "now is not the right time because...." we may never have the right time.

I guess I'm interested to know how it might affect my family.
    We both work and DD is in daycare 2 days a week. Is it ok to put a foster child in childcare?
    How did people's extended family react? I feel like we probably won't be able to ask for extended families help the way we do with DD and DS?

I have downloaded an info pack on fostering in WA so have an idea about how to go about the official side but would love to hear your thoughts/advice/wisdom on the emotional side.

Thanks in advance.

hello there,
    my parents fostered children and still do so i grew up with foster siblings, for me it made me really appreciate my family as i had a pretty good child hood in comparison to this children, each child has a story and it normally involves some sort of abuse, my parents used to foster teenage children (there is alot of teenagers looking for a loving home) with that comes alot of work as most are not used to a caring environment and often get involved in things they shouldnt. recently my parents have started fostering babies. They both enjoy this very much, they have had babies straight out of NICU and infants that are weaning from drugs and alcohol, due to mother taking both during pregnancy. As i grew up and left ho,e i too became a foster carer, i started at 18 and was the youngest foster carer in NSW. me and my now husband have always done foster care. it has its challenges. One girl we had ( also older) was physically aggresive and made lots of threats toward my 8 mth old baby in the end her pychologist suggested she leave our care as she was high risk of hurting him.
    Foster care is a rewarding experiance and the difference a loving home and nurturing environment can make is amazing. As a carer we are notthere to replace their parents so bear in mind that sometimes placements can end. due to the children returning home to family or moving to another carer to be closer to their parents for visits etc. I become quite fond of all the kids ive had and its heart braking when they move on.
    there is lots more i could i say.
    but i hope this helps to get you started.

If you are thinking of fostering babies, i think you would have to have one parent at home. These kids often need extra care to feel safe, and having a constant primary carer would be the first step.

We had many foster children live with us when we were growing up, and i loved it. It was difficult when some of them left who had lived with us long term.

Quote Originally Posted by PollyA View Post

We both work and DD is in daycare 2 days a week. Is it ok to put a foster child in childcare?
    If you are working a child who is before school age may not be the best fit for you and your family. Perhaps a primary school aged child may work better for your situation?

Contact a foster agency close to you and arrange to have a meeting with them.

Thanks everyone for your replies,
    Shantelle, I would love for my kids to grow up with your perspective. Thank you. I'd also love to hear more! Kate, we always have one parent at home but DH will work one night a week (Sunday) and sleeps on Monday. We will put DS into childcare Monday's and would feel strange if we sent my baby to daycare (for 5-6 hours) and kept another baby at home. Thats why I asked, All other times there is someone home. DD goes 2 days a week simply because she loves it and gets so much out of it
    In terms of other ages I have read a few things recommending to get children younger than your oldest, and i feel like we're not really set up for older kids (also I feel like my children teach me how to parent...not really surewhat to do for older kids yet..though I'm sure I'd work it out.)
    Thanks for your input, I am going to start the paperwork and have lots to think about
    Would love to hear how peoples extended family react. I think ours might shake their head...in a "Don't you have enough on your plate" type way.
    Thanks again

I don't remember it all that well but my family did fostering when I was young. I think that was because one of my parents was home then so they stopped when they were both in full time work. I'm pretty sure we just did emergency care so we would only have a child for a few days- and they were always young toddlers like us so I remember playing with them and just thinking we had another friend for a few nights sleepover.

I'd like to do the same thing but sometimes I worry about being overburdened and not being able to cope... will wait till we're settled with baby#2 then look into myself I think.

I wanted to do it but I think DS would be heartbroken when we had to give them back. Good luck!!

Default Fostering with a family

PollyA did you ever start fostering?