Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to become a foster carer????

my MiL is a foster carer, she is through AngliCare.

Last Sunday she had a 3 day old baby boy delivered into her care. She also has an 11 month old baby girl at the moment. I get to see the two kiddlets on Monday as they are driving down to visit us. At the most she has had 5 foster kids ranging from 1 year old to 16 years old.

One of my girlfriends is also a foster mum, she is a single mother with one of her own and 3 siblings in her care.

I'll ask her details of how she went about becoming a foster mother & will let you know.

Out of interest - do the care organisations look down on you for putting 3yr olds into a daycare/kindergarten style organisation for a couple of days a week to allow for social interaction with peers and learning - I have done this with mine and am happy not to do it but I find he has benefited so much due to our small social group and the lack of children within it. I'm certainly not suggesting this be done with foster care kids

Some FAQ's about foster care - answered!

 What is foster care?
    Foster care is a program that endeavours to find safe & supportive homes for children & teenagers who are unable to live with their own family for a period of time. The aim of foster care is to reunite children with their own family where possible.

 What types of people can be a foster carer?
    Foster carers are ordinary people who come from a range of different backgrounds & cultures. Foster parents are aged twenty years & over. There is no upper age limit. It is not your marital status or gender that qualifies you to take on this role; it is your willingness to challenge your definition of family to include a child in need.

 How long do children stay in foster care?
    It can vary from one day to a year or longer.
    Respite care gives parents or foster carers a regular break, perhaps for a weekend every month or longer.
    Short to medium care can be any time from one day up to three months. There may be a crisis in the family or children may be waiting on the outcome of a court order before their future can be decided.
    Longer term care is arranged when it becomes apparent that a child will not be able to return home for some time.

 What kind of commitment is required to be a foster carer?
    People who become foster carers make an initial commitment to undergo training (currently eight modules) & accreditation.

Foster carers are able to decide what best suits them (for example, a foster carer may determine that they are only available every second weekend for a respite arrangement).

Foster carers are able to go on hold at any stage for any length of time. Foster carers are also able to withdraw from the programme at any stage, although foster carers in particular are asked to think carefully before they commit to a placement, as stability is extremely important to children in care.

 Can I ask to have a child of a certain age or gender?
    Yes.

 Why do some children need foster care?
    There is a range of reasons why children come in to care including:

- Poverty
    - Illness
    - Family difficulties or crisis
    - Abandonment
    - Emotional, physical or sexual abuse
    - Neglect
    - Drug or alcohol issues

 What are foster children like?
    Foster children are just like other kids. Often they experience a lot of emotional disruption in their lives & may have lost trust in adults & family life. Moving from a familiar environment into the home of a foster family may be scary & it may take a child some time to settle in. Because of their experiences some children may have problem behaviours & low self esteem.

 What happens for brothers & sisters?
    If at all possible, brothers & sisters are kept together. However, due to the lack of carers able to take on sibling groups, this is sometimes not possible.

 Do foster children have contact with their natural family?
    Whenever possible and appropriate, children are encouraged to see their parents and siblings.

 What sort of reimbursement is available to foster carers & Friends?
    Being a foster carer is a voluntary role & therefore there is not a salary involved. Foster carers receive a fortnightly non-taxable allowance for each night that they have a child in their care. This is to help meet the costs of food, clothing & general living expenses for the child. The actual amount paid differs depending on the age of the child, whether the child has a disability, the length of the child’s stay & so on.

 Is there a chance of adopting a foster child?
    Generally this is not possible. One of the aims of Foster Care is to reunite the child with their birth family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12