Thread: Medical requirements and privacy

Default Medical requirements and privacy

I am a 40 yr old single woman looking into perm care/adoption. I am concerned that when I was 18 yrs old, I had a brief drug addiction that led to me being on the methadone program. I am worried that this might affect my application and do not know whether to be entirely honest about my past. Has anyone else been in this position or have any advice to give? does anyone know whether this type of info is accessible by the powers that be? As methadone is administered by the Health dept, would that info be shared? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I can demonstrate 2 decades of abstinence, and have been told by the depts that it should not be an issue, however others have told me not to mention it at all.

I personally wouldnt mention it.
    As you said its part of your past, but so are you first boyfriends, celebrity crushes and other things we keep to ourselves

i wouldnt put it out there to crucify yourself
    If they want that sort of information im sure they'll look for it.... Best of LUck

Quote Originally Posted by Mum2Romone View Post
    I personally wouldnt mention it.
    As you said its part of your past, but so are you first boyfriends, celebrity crushes and other things we keep to ourselves

i wouldnt put it out there to crucify yourself
    If they want that sort of information im sure they'll look for it.... Best of LUck
    Unfortunately Mum2Romone the process doesn't work like this. Upfront honesty is 100% the way you need to be. When you go through the evaluation process, it is not just a matter of filling out a few forms and answers a few questions. There are hours upon hours of questioning that you have to go through about your life from the day you were born until now and where you plan to go in the future. There are no stones left unturned.

What milly75 has been through demonstrates strength, determination & commitment. All qualities an assessing SW will look for.

Be proud of what you have achieved milly75, tell your story in your words. The SW's will not immediately judge you based on an addiction you had 20 years. But when you are looking to be given to the parenting responsibility of a child, you need to give them all the information so they can make the correct decision on your suitability.

As I said to you in the other forum, call the department in your state and talk to them.

Milly

I had a meeting with a foster agency last night as we are looking at permanent care also.

We each have to create a document called a “Life Book”. Basically I think it is like an essay about your life broken down into early childhood, primary school, high school and adulthood. They want to know all of the positive and negative things that have happened to us at these different points in our life. They advised that this is not so they can look at all the bad things and say that your not fit to be carer but so they can look at the hard times and see how you overcame them. It’s to help them understand how you got to where you are now (good and bad).

I think you will be better to tell them the truth. They also go to your Dr anyway and get all of your medical history so they may find out anyway. Better that they hear it from you rather than think that your trying to hide it.

Good Luck