Thread: Any women in trades out there?

Default Any women in trades out there?

Well i am at a point where i am seriously a SAHM.
    As i live rural - and i am not getting any consistent work in my professional field i was thinking about possibly doing a trade?

I know - my hubby thinks im a nutter.

But i saw an advert for painter/decorator apprenticeship. And if i have to take an unskilled job at half of my current pay to get any work then why not get something out of it?

THe question is.. how hard is it to go back to studying. - its been 7 years since my degree

and will an apprenticeship like this actually work for a mum? (i am looking to do it part time).

or am i just an idiot and should get used to being a SAHM with no out side job

Teetee Guest

I think its a great idea PM. It is always fun learning a new skill, especially while your family are young, and it is something that you can use for yourself at a later date. I live rurally as well and found that you have to give thinks a go here, I have trained in jobs that I thought I would never do, and have had great fun along the way. I know that if I apply myself I can do most things. Have finally applied for uni this year (it has been 20 years since I last studied at that sort of level). Us mums are amazing people and we can do whatever we want.

Check out Women at Work - they hire women in trade

My mum always gets them to do things like painting etc, to give a woman a fair go. I would to.

I don't know about the money involved, but my BIL is a builder, and he says like residential carpentry is just crazy and the moment and everyone is so busy there is so much work.

Ring Construction Skills Qld and talk to them. They are the industy body for costruction training and they will be able to giude you in the right direction .

This is there website - Be Constructive - Build your future on a trade - Home

I am doing a trade. Generally all of them are full time as an apprenticeship as afterward you can go part time. It is more to with the day that the training facilities are running the course than what days the employer would like to employ you on. Like my TAFE days were five days straight every 6 weeks.

I am a trade horticulturilist, i work in aboriculture at the moment (have for 10 years) I did an apprenticeship full time over 3 yrs.
    I have now continued with my studies and am doing a diploma in hort and conservation land managemnt part time.
    A trainee ship may be the way to go part time, but im not sure what the wages are like, they werent fantastic when i was an apprentice.
    My hubby is also a trade electrician again he did an apprenticeship full time.
    for both of us it was on the job training so many days a week and then TAFE either one week a month or a few days a week.
    Best way is to ring a training provider in your state

As crazymum2 said apprenticeships are generally full-time with the option to go part-time when your finished. Traineeships can be done part-time in most cases. Apprentice/trainees wages are less than qualified incase you didnt realise i dont know whether thats a problem for you i dont know your situation.

I finished my mechanic apprenticeship in April 2007 but didnt get a job as a qualified mechanic as we moved interstate and fell pregnant not long after and i had my baby 3 weeks ago.

If you want to do a trade i say go for it, let your hubby think whatever he wants, my DP loves the fact i can do things for him in regards to his car and so does our family & friends. My dad was a little funny to start with but hes 100% cool about it now.

I hope some of this was helpful and made sense

I forgot to mention you can PM with any questions that you may have. I was an apprentice Heavy Vehicle Mechanic.