Thread: Anyone doing PhD or doctorate with a bub?

Default Anyone doing PhD or doctorate with a bub?

Just looking for anyone doing doctoral level studies with a baby. I am currently completing required units for doctorate and am about to start lit review but am apprehensive about studying with a 5 month old. I think I have taken on too much at this point in my life and would like to see how others cope/find time required etc. I am a SAHM...

Hi there,

I'm in the middle of applying to do my PhD, if that helps! May or may not get accepted. Actually I was going to make a post soon to ask if anyone else was in the same boat. I've got a 9 month old and am working part time...so yeah, I too have no idea if I'm going to be able to cope with it all. And for 3 years *dies*

If I end up doing it, we can give each other moral support

sonia

Hope your application gets accepted! Will you give up your part-time work or will you do your studies part-time? What area have your previous studies been in?

I hope so too! But if it doesn't work out, it won't be the end of the world for now. Though I would be just a tad upset.

If I win lotto, I'll be a SAHM Sadly, I can't afford to give up work so will have to keep it up. My work is such that I will be able to do my personal study in between work tasks, so long as it does not interfere. Am lucky to have a wonderful employer. I work in the city, so if I'm accepted into Sydney Uni or UTS, it's not so far away to access facilities or my supervisor.

I'm more worried about my brain being elsewhere when I'm at home. I suppose that's inevitable! Since having a bub, I think I'm running on half the brain cells I'd otherwise have!

My background is in social policy and statistics. Ideally, I'd like to do an evaluation of government-funded parent support strategies (with focus on improving access to disadvantaged communities). But I guess it will depend on if a particular Faculty can accommodate that topic...

What about you? How difficult has it been juggling everything? What made you proceed with your doctorate? Sorry if I'm being nosy, but I'd love to know other mums' experiences!

Sonia

rachael24 Guest

Keep us updated...and good luck!

When I was preg and working fulltime, I was studying parttime and i could handle it. But this year, I have had to withdraw from my thesis unit and I am only do one research methods unit next semester. So I have just delayed the formal writing part. When I say 'had' to I mean that I have chosen to because I just wasn't getting the lengths of time I needed to do my lit review. I could get half and hour here and there but it wasn't enough. Going to the uni library is essential but difficult with a 5 month old (and the pram doesn't fit between the shelves!!) and I just didn't have the headspace to focus or give it the attention it needed. So my supervisor was okay with it- I just said DD was too young at the moment and I didn't have the mental and physical energy that it required. So I am happy with doing one unit next sem and I will re-evaluate before uni starts next year. I am a SAHM and I just wanted to do domething other than baby things but it turns out that's all I can focus on now anyway! I am pursuing the doctorate because I believe I can accomplish it, because I am interested in research and because I really like the topic. I am looking at visual literacy and the grammar of visual design in postmodern children's literature. However, I am in no hurry- I am not doing it for a job or career advancement, so when it gets done, it gets done!