Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used Cengage Education? (Formerly Thomson education)

Default Anyone used Cengage Education? (Formerly Thomson education)

I have been thinking about doing study from home and have came across Cengage Education and wanted to know if anyone has/is doing a course through them?

The course im thinking about doing will cost $1800 so its alot of money.

Hey Linz, nope, I've not heard of them before. What are you going to study?!?
    How many hours is the course? $1800 actually sounds pretty reasonable for a diploma or certificate... (Even though *shudder* you're right, it is a heck of a lot of money.)

i started a course through thompson when they were still thompsons - i didn't find i had the motivation to complete it as there was no real encouragement - the only time they contacted me at all was when i was late on a bill! i still have the stuff here, and will surely get to do it myself sooner or later, but i think if you're someone that needs motivating, it is really hard to do it - i think i needed due dates - it's all too open

Amy - there are very few "diplomas" - they're all certificates - and not necessarily recognised every where - plus they've take a lot of the more interesting ones away now that it's cengage

I was thinking of doing a Finance course as I started training in Finance before I fell PG with DD. d really like something thats says im "qualified"

Hmmm knowing that im going to be paying $1800 will be enough to motivate me.. actually back when I was at school (not that long ago)I would get stuck into assignments straight away and finish them within the 1st week even though we might have a month to do it.

I agree due dates would be better though..

and not necessarily recognised every where
    Really??

yeah, i had a look at their site again the other night, and some say "recognised by X group" - but is recognition by that particular group enough to have you recognised as qualified for employment purposes? i would have a look at the course you're preparing to do, and maybe do some research on whether employers recognise it, rather than just groups... their prices have more than doubled on most courses when the name changed too - i found that appalling - it cost me $700 for an editing/proof reading course - i think it's now up around the $1800 mark.... i'll be getting back onto mine soon - only started it last year, so still time to finish - ivf just got in the way!

and yeah, at school/uni, i was always on the ball with assignments - then life came along and took over - you have to think, you'll have two kidlets by the time you're a few months into this course if you start it up - that is going to be really hard to maintain...

wouldnt a tafe be cheaper???

Thankyou for the info BG..I will deff look into it.

Your very right, it was just me back then. DD still naps alot during the day so I guess I could do some then and after she goes to bed...when bubs is born I will just have to work around both of them.

Jackie- Yeah but tafe will be alot harder cause I would have to put DD in daycare (which im not ready to do yet) and I really dont want to be putting a newborn in daycare either..

It would also be set days etc where if i do it at home I can do it whenever I want (or when I get time)

Hey Lindsay , you can do TAFE through correspondance as well. It's called OTEN. They might have a finance course that suits you. I did a course through them and it was good because I could just log into the website and get all my learning stuff from there and they sent me books as well, then I just emailed the assignments to them.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with a course.

I did have a look with OTEN but they dont have payment plans.. well I didnt see any. With Cengage Education you can pay monthly.

Where do you find out if the course is recognised or not? All they mostly say is you get a 'certificate' but what type cert 1,2,3,4 or what?

I'm studying Aromatherapy in pregnancy with them at the moment. I find no problems except their website doesn't give much info.

Lindsay,

This won't help you right now, but once your littlies/you are ready, if would work out a whole lot cheaper to do a Cert III or IV via a Commonwealth Government Traineeship, combined with a part time job.

For example, in a couple of years, you may want to go back part time, and get a finance/bookkeeping/accounts payable job purely on your experience. You can then ask your employer to place you on a traineeship (which they are usually more than happy to do) at NORMAL award rate wages for your role. You sign a training contract, and the Commonwealth Government pay $4000 (a proportion at the start and the remainder at completion) to your employer. Then your employer pays the course fees and assessment fees for you to a Registered Training Organisation to train & assess you in you chosen Certificate (that is nationally recognised.) (And your employer would most likely get change out of the $4000!)

That way it would be totally free for you, and of course, of great value to your employer.

Depending on how much "credit" you can get for your Recognition of Prior Learning, a Certificate III in Financial Services (Accounts Clerical) would take only about 6 hours of study per week, so you could easily compete it within the year.

I know this is not an immediate solution, but thought I would throw the concept in there for you...........

Yeah im still looking into that Tegan..

ETA: Some of the courses have beside them Cert ll, Cert lll or Cengage Cert

Thankyou Lucy, some food for thought!!!
    Last edited by Zee; February 3rd, 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Ok I have been just looking on the website and it has this:

Will I receive the same accreditation from Cengage Education that I would get through other education providers like TAFE or OTEN?
    Answer. Yes. Cengage Education is a Registered Training Organisation under the Australian Training Framework. We are registered with the NSW Vocational Education and Training Accreditation Board (VETAB), which means that our accredited courses provide you with exactly the same qualification you would receive if you studied the course at TAFE or OTEN.

I suppose that is something but they still dont state whether a course is a Cert I, II, III etc (some they do but not most). i have emailed them about that (the ones that dont say what they are) so i'll post their answer when they get back to me. I'm assuming the ones they dont state what they are, are statement of attainments but they should still put that up.
    Last edited by Antheia; February 3rd, 2008 at 10:57 PM.

Very true, please do post when you recieve a reply.

hi Lindsay, I enrolled with Cengage this morning to study Cert II in Children's Services. Like you i needed the options of paying monthly and also not having toput my son into somebody else's care. I dont have any experience with cengage yet, but i dont have any worries about them. My DH's cousin did a course with Thompson a couple of years back and she loved it. I do agre that sometimes externbal study is hard to maotivate youself, but i think for me, the fact the i have spent so much money is a god motivating factor!

Thankyou Elissa for your reply,

I have also been looking at doing the Cert 3 in Childrens Services aswell... I realy cant decide!!! I have been sending emails to one of their consultants and she has been very helpfull.

Tegan did they email you back??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast