Thread: Child Care Options For Uni Students

Default Child Care Options For Uni Students

Hi All,

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? I'm trying to organise how I go about organising child care while I am studying at university!

I'm currently in my first year of Bachelor of Education. My baby is due mid October a couple of weeks before the end of Semester Two. I am trying to get organised for next year and would like to return to study and put the baby in childcare the days I'm at uni. My university does not offer childcare and does not have any affiliated places.

Does anyone know if there are any child care centres that are happy to take 'uni' babies considering that the days they are in care will change each semester?

What about if I don't want the baby in care for mid semester break or over the Christmas period? Which means ideally the baby would only be in care for 24 weeks a year.

Please let me know if you are in a similar situation and have found something that works!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

some unis have a centre on campus.

Melb uni
    VU st albans

i know do but i am sure la trobe would also

Thanks for your message Feeb.

I go to ACU (Australian Catholic University) in Fitzroy and they do not have any child care on campus. Maybe I'll just have to stop some of the students I see with babies and ask them what they do!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

even speak to student union and ask them

good luck

I have had both of my kids at a regular childcare centre, whilst I have been (and still am) studying. Its a wee bit stressful, as the uni timetables may not be released until a mere few weeks before you start, and you have to hope like crazy that daycare is available on the days you need. I have always somehow had it work out for me though. Or have tweaked my subjects around the daycare days (being a PT student it seems easier to do this).
    With the holidays, you can book off a certain amount of days per year as holidays where you pay half fees for their non-attendance. Still expensive - but better than losing their place I guess?
    Good luck with it all...

ACU really needs to pull its socks up. A mate is studying there this year, and has had surgery and has to use a wheelchair for awhile. She can't get to lectures because there are stairs and no lifts. I thought she just hadn't worked out where they are, and investigated further only to find out that was correct.

No wheelchair access and now no child care. No good.

Our childcare has uni babies, and we just do our best to shuffle them around.

A handy thing for you to know about it "priority of access" where studying mums get priority over non-working mums. Make sure whichever centre you choose knows about it, as it can be used to get you the days you want.

Some good local centres are the ECMS at the hospital, John St in Fitzroy, all of the City of Melbourne centres (actually, I think they have an occasional care service, which might suit you) and, depending where you live, maybe look at some of your local ones too. I know the Melbourne scene fairly well, so can help you out with what sort of reputation places have.

Thanks for your message snugglybean. I live in Brunswick which is not far from some of the child care centres mentioned. I think I'll give some of the places you recommended a call and just have a chat and mention that I am a student and so forth. I'll be sure to mention the priority of access too!

Do you know if t is silly calling now considering the baby is not sure until October or is it better to get in early?

Thanks once again!

Definitely better to get in early. I have to try a bit hard not to snort at people when they ring and say "I need care for my 9 month old, do you have any vacancies?"

So, in Brunswick there is also Park St, where I was offered a job in 2006, and it is a beautiful place. Dawson St has a really good rep too, and Moreland Childcare Co-op.

Ohhhhh, you are so lucky, there are some awesome place around you! Hotham Hub in North Melbourne is another beautiful place. Wimble St in Parkville also gets the snugglybean tick of approval. Lady Huntingfield in North Melbourne is one of the City of Melbourne centres, *was* good in 2006 when I last visited but John So had some changes afoot so not sure if it is still as good, but still better than anything up here in Vegas. Curzon St is good. North Melbourne Childrens Centre - I think it's a moonee valley council one? - rates as well. I've never been to QV Children's Centre but they sound good in theory! See what you think. Run by ECMS, same folk who manage St Vincents Childrens Centre.

So, ummm, cancel any social engagements for the next few weeks while you check those out!!! I would work in any of them - and I am a very picky lady!

ACU is crapola.

I'm going to try and change Uni's. They are not helpful at all