Thread: Feel like I'm hitting a wall...

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Default Feel like I'm hitting a wall...

I am a month out from exams and am feeling sooooo tired. I have 1 assignment left, due next Friday, which I have not started yet and am stressing out about. It's so unlike me to have left it this late too. But I'm applying for jobs left right and centre to try to get ahead, and if anyone knows govt jobs, you know it's an 'assignment' all on it's own, with 6-10 page documents addressing the selection criteria per job, and I have to divide my time between work, homelife, study and these applications. I've written 3 such applications and 2 assignments in three weeks and it's damned near killed me.

Add to that this new position I'm in, which is exciting but very intense, very complex, and is only contract work so doesn't have the stability I could do with right now. When I'm at work, the project requires my so much of my concentration, that I get home exhausted. The good news is that on the back of this work, I am achieving outcomes, which my boss is really happy about. Home life is good, but I don't spend as much time with my family as I'd like, and I feel like I'm missing out.

Don't get me wrong, I know why I'm doing all this - things will be better for us if I can pull this all together. And in a month, my exams will be over and I'll be less stressed, but right now, right this minute, I'm feeling like I'm burning out. I consider myself a fairly resilient, organised and disciplined person but this has worn me down like nothing else.

If anyone has some motivational words for me right about now, I'd be grateful. I could really do with some right now.

OMG Sush, YES I do know how hard those bloody Govt applications are. I can't beleive you managed to do 3 + 2 assignments in 3 WEEKS. It took me about 2 weeks to write one. Your poor head .

OK - so if you have done 3 of them, I imagine you don't have to do any for awhile, or at least cut and paste the [email protected] out of the next one. So that's behind you. Clear the slate in the jobsearch front, you have done enough for now.
    Put all the effort into this last assignment, you will be able to do it on time - it could well be a walk in the park after managing all the stuff you have done recently.
    Then you have three weeks to study for your exams - not bad. Keep a count down in your head. Get through your exams and promise yourself a big treat at the end (would it be SLEEPING ALL DAY the Sunday after your exams finish maybe????)

When I'm feeling burnt out, I just keeping telling myself to at least keep moving, keep going, won't be long, nearly there.
    Can you write yourself a plan for the next four weeks? I find if it's planned out previously it helps keep me focused, otherwise everything seems to pile on top, it seems worse in my head and I can't concentrate on the task at hand because I worry about the next one. Divide tasks into time blocks, which includes peace time (or you WILL burn out), and stick to your schedule. I find I get more done that way - I am known for faffing around and shuffling paper the more stressed I am.

You can shift to autopilot, keep going, keep moving. Seriously I get the Finding Nemo scene in my head "just keep swimming, just keep swimming!" And I do.

Just keep swiming Sushee .

Ok Sushee

What you need to do is have a non-guilty break for yourself - even if it is a few hours in a movie (treat yourself to gold class if you can) and NOT think of anything. Heck even if you go to one of those "sweat shop" nail places and have a pedicure. Your brain needs a break, your body needs a break. You will be no use to anybody if you burn out.

Govt selection criteria is a pain - at least now in Qld they're doing 2 page competency statement & cv for a lot of the jobs - which sometimes is harder than SC. I work in Govt, I know what it is like, I write an application every 2 weeks for different jobs.

Then you need to give your study area a good refresh - clean it, maybe put some new pics up, some flowers, give it a new lease on life - even going and getting new pens will help.

To divide work, home & study - when you get home from work, have a shower, imagine all your work stresses washing down the hole with the water. Then focus on what you need to do at home (or study). If you can, maybe, go to the library for a few hours to do some study - different environment will help. I know I used to get a lot more chemistry study done if I went to the science library at one of the major unis around than I ever did at home. I have study clothes & essential oil blend - so my mind knows that when I'm in that particular pair of jeans & the burner has that particular blend in it that it is study time - I even take the oil blend to uni with me for exams - I take a sniff before the exam.

Hope these all help.

ps: I'll be asking for help shortly - I'm back at uni next semester

Sushee, I remember feeling like that when I was a uni student whose only other commitment was working in a shop on Friday night and Saturday! How you manage all you do is beyond me - but the thing is that you do. You always pull out just enough to get by, and this time is no exception. You WILL get the assignment done on time, and you will do really well in your exams. It's who you are. You only know how to achieve and succeed. You and I both know that .

Give yourself some time off, now, before you tackle the assignment and studying. Maybe one evening after work to just chill, or your day of not working or a weekend day. Set some time aside for you. Spend time with Charlie, or go and indulge yourself with a treat just for you. Recharge the batteries and then get stuck into the assignment when you have more to give. You will be fine, you will get through this with flying colours. Hugs to you babe.

Oh good one Schaz! Getting away from home to complete your studies always works a treat.

However I choose to go to the local pub, it still works the same and I can have a pint if I'm a good girl and get a set amount done. It's far more distracting at home.....

Sushee - WE KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!

You CAN and you WILL. If we believe in you, (and we certainly do), then you can believe in yourself.

You are one awesome chick, wife, and Mummy, and you can achieve anything you set your mind to.

Yes sometimes life can be difficult, but in ONE MONTH you can look back and say "Wow, look what I've DONE!" I can do ANYTHING if I can get through this!

You are SUPERWOMAN.!

(oh and I find breathing helps... one big deep breath then TACKLE IT!)

You go girlie!

Lulu, Schaz, Mel, Divvy, you guys won't ever know how much your words have helped. I typed my OP last night with my textbook on my lap, feeling sorry for myself. But after, I lay awake long after DH was asleep planning in my head how I was going to tackle this. I've set myself new deadlines - I always work better when I know exactly what I'm doing when, but I get 'off track' like I have with the added work of the job applications, I get stressed. I know that about myself.

But I needed to hear that I need to schedule a break too. I think that's a good idea. I think sometimes I expect too much of myself - as if a break would be too much of a 'luxury' given my schedule. I have a day off today, and was supposed to food shop, then study. Instead, I've called my MIL and she, Charlie and I are meeting for lunch at a fancy restaurant and I've told DH I'm not cooking tonight, so they can either cook some sausages for themselves or they can eat out.

Schaz the idea of going to uni is also a great one, and the revamping of my study area (it currently looks like bombshell with depressing piles of Job Description Forms, recommended readings etc). I do need to refresh my mind!

TBH I didn't really expect anyone to reply, and was surprised not only to see replies, but such great advice and amazing support. Though I should have expected as much from you lovely ladies. Thanks guys.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better Sushee. And especially that you are spoiling yourself today. Well done.

Enjoy lunch!!

Sush, i too think you are superwoman. I have worked full time and studies part time and that was bad enough. but i had no family to look after. I think the girls have given great advice. It is particularly good to see that you are giving yourself a break from some of the home chores. Work and study have timelines you have to meet and family time comes before both of those so the thing you have to put last is the household chores that can wait or someone else can do. I have a real guilt complex about getting takeaway but when I am pressed for time, I do it as not having to cook and clean up after gets you at least 2 hours in your day.
    You are a star for doing what you are doing.

Anney, thank you. I don't feel like a superwoman though, honestly I feel like I'm holding myself together with spit and ducktape! Lol!

BUT I'd had another shot in the arm today. It couldn't have come at a better time too. My tutor was hopelessly behind on grading our assignments, and I have 10 submitted and until last night only 3 were marked. This morning I checked the website and 3 more assignments were graded. I got full marks for all three! So 6 of 6 graded minor assignments I've gotten 100% for, and my major assignment, I got 85%. I'm on track to getting that high distinction after all.

DH laughed when I called to tell him. He said I put more pressure on myself that anyone will ever put on me. He said 'who gets full marks for their assignments anyway? Nerds and overachievers, that's who!'. I guess I am a little bit of an overachiever. Now just have to achieve looking after myself a little more...

Undies on the OUTSIDE now Sushee....

WTG on being a nerdy overacheiver!!!

Oh Sush I just found this thread! Brought back memories for me... studying, raising a family, working: simultaneously... then pregnant during my final assessments and dealing with morning sickness ontop of everything!!! Lulu's advice was great! Just keep swimming, do something... and keep muttering to yourself "This Too Shall Pass"... and PASS you did... with a HD to boot!!!! You can do anything, you know that now don't you