Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midwifery or aged care!

Thanks so much everyone, i would LOVE to go into Midwifery but at this stage i don't think it's practical and after DP's stupid comment this morning i highly doubt i would get any support if that is what i wanted to do.

I think i will def look into the aged care side of things, i think studying that and juggling the kids, the house and DP's business stuff will be a little easier aswell as less expensive, maybe once i have done that then i can branch out, when the kids are a little older.

I love that everyone on here has so much confidence in me and is able to show support, god knows i wish i got just as much of that at home sometimes... thanks again everyone.. please feel free to add anything else... for now it's something to look at next year once DD1 is either on milk or taking EBM properly.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

We need more gorgeous, gentle and supportive women in mid! I think you'd all make beautiful midwives, respectful of womens choices. We need to get in there and make change and let women know they have choices. But it's also a very stressful thing at times, but we need you

Strongly recommend doing a doula course first, in Melb check out Rhea Dempsey's which starts at the beginning of the year, she is just awesome. Many of her students get into mid, and I am sure it even helps that you've been trained by her when you apply But attending any births and exposure in the area is something that helps students get in, because as you imagine, some school leavers decide to change their minds when they see whats really involved lol!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Something really odd happened this morning, I got an e-mail that you replied ZF then tried to check and there was no reply and it says BellyBelly was the last person to write. What happened?
    ETA_- I can see them now. At the same time all teh "new posts" disappeared and the list started again, about 11am, so maybe something a little bug-like was happening, strange. Anyway, glad you got so many informative replies. Hope you can set about it sometime in the future.
    Last edited by PollyA; July 23rd, 2010 at 01:49 AM.

clare076 Guest

Unfortunately for the aging population, it is getting harder to get good nurses. The postions are being filled by people doing the job because its a cheap fast course, guaranteed work, and fairly decent pay. (yes I know people are going to say aged care workers are not very well paid for what they do etc etc but considering some people can do the course in as little as 6 weeks and then work agency with practically no knowledge, skills and in alot of circumstances no understanding of basic english language, the pay is good.) Not because they want to be there.
    I have worked in aged care for 12 years, I was an aged care worker before doing my nursing degree, I became a registered nurse and then went on to be a nurse manager. Aged care can be very fulfilling IF its something you really want to do. I have had to listen to other nurses tell me I am not really a nurse because I work aged care, but I tell you I work harder than alot of nurses in a normal hospital ward, and its something I have always had an interest in. I love my oldies and really enjoy my day.
    My only advice to you or anyone else in the same situation, dont choose aged care because its the cheaper/quicker option, if you do you will not be happy and nor will the residents. You have to follow your heart. If its midwifery that really interests you then I would go down that path.

Either way you would have options. If you do a bachelor of nursing, it is 18 months to get your mid if you change your mind later on. Same with MID. If you do a BMID, you can do a 18month course for a masters in nursing.

Goodluck with whatever you end up doing. I am loving my course so far and can't wait to get out there and do it!

I'm feeding DS but I'll be back later to fill you in on my pros and cons.

My ulitmate career goal is midwifery. However, because i am now a single mum and need to get into the workforce as fast as possible i have decided to start my career as either an aged care or disability worker. This way I can get my foot in the door and and work whilst my employer pays me to study and get cert 3 and my div 2 nursing diploma. Then i can go on and do bach nursing while working still, then bach mid. That is my plan. I realise that it may take a good 10/15 years to eventually get to my dream job as midwife, but i will get there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12