Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing/Midwifery students (or wannabes LOL)....

Ahh ok. Its just I got my offer for nursing yesterday so I assumed you would have gotten yours by now too! Good luck on getting into mid. I didnt really speak to them about transferring. All they said was that its extremely competitive to get into mid and they always have heaps more applicants than places. I looked at the subjets in both degrees (just on the internet), and yes, there are some that are the same. It looks as though there are four in the first year and then one in the third year that are in both nursing and midwifery. Hope you hear back soon.

Congratulations Karina!!! Hope you love it as much as I do!

MG

Thanks MG, cant wait to start!!!

Ok so the offers are out now.. Wonder if I will get mine? I dont think that I will take them up on it though.. I have so much on this year already and there are five small mouths in my house too. I'm not sure that I could do it all.. Not super mum and all..

My letter should be in the mail today or tomorrow. I got an Email from CSU this morning so that is a good sign. I hope...

I wonder when i will find out.

Karina - Yeh i will go on the net today and compare the subject i think. At least then i don't have to feel too bummed about not getting into MID should i not get in.

Blue - You sound like me at the moment. Bit up in the air about it all. You'll know what to do when the time comes.

Hi, there's a girl in my course who did one year of Nursing and then transferred. She got credits for a few subjects that she'd already done in Nursing. I would say if you do one year of Nursing and get good marks you would have a high chance of getting into Midwifery as you're already in the system and have proven you can do well at Uni. Just my opinion anyway, and good luck girls , you'll love Uni!

Does anyone know if there is still placement in the first year of Nursing??? What about workshops??? Are you still required to go down to Adeliade, if you are an external student, do attend worshops??

I wonder, if there is placement in the first year, wether you could be place in the antenatal clincic, birth suite and maternity wards????

I suppose these are all questions i will have to ask if i get in but i thought i would check in here first.

Stacey - Yeh that is my understanding of it aswell. Complete first year with good marks and then transfer over to Mid.

Sara, i talked to them and yeah if you are an external student you have to go to the workshops. I think MG was saying that they no longer do placement in the first year of nursing at unisa, but they two in second year.

ninacadman Guest

Hi Ladies

I haven't posted for ages but have been keeping an eye on the conversation. I have been offered an external placement in the BMid at UniSA which I am so excited about. I know it's hard to get in and I wish everyone else lots of luck. I think my science degree must have helped. I've also been offered a place in my local (University of Tasmania) nursing course. I am leaning heavily towards midwifery as that is what I want to do and it will be much more flexible working online and I can also study it part time if need be.

I had a little accident and got pregnant (am 12 weeks now) which we didn't plan for a while longer. My son will be nearly 3 when the baby comes in August. So this has thrown uni plans a bit. I plan to study first semester, defer for a year, then go back when the little one is 1.

My main worry with the BMid is whether I will get my practical placements in Tasmania. Does anyone know of someone who is studying/has studied the BMid at UniSA externally out of Tasmania? The uni is being very cagey and basically saying that while they endevour to get you pracs in your home state they can't guarantee anything which is fair enough but not very helpful for me. We're pretty behind the times in Tassie and all the hospitals are set up for nursing then grad dip mid students. I will even struggle getting work without the nursing here. I'm worried that the hospitals will all say no because of the extra work dealing with a "special case".

Because I'll have two young children I can't afford the time or money to go to Adelaide for several weeks of placement on top of the 2-4 times per year that I'll need to be there for workshops. I'd hate to start the course then get half way through and be unable to finish because of logistics. Hmmmm. I think in the end I'll probably have to just take the risk and hope it works out unless anyone can shed any light on practical placements for external students???

Hopefully I'll meet some of you in Adelaide for the first workshop in a couple of months!!!

Thanks

Nina

Nina,

Congratulations on getting into your course and your pregnancy! Wishing you a happy and healthy journey!

Even better having 2 offers. This gives you a couple of options at least.

I would reccommend getting in touch with your local hospital and finding out who the placement officer is there. I am luckly enough to have met the placement officer at the Townsville Hopsital through the Doula organisation i work with.

Go onto the website for your local hospital, if it has one, and look for anything to do with Uni student clinical placement. Maybe even post in the Local Members Forum here in BB to see if anyone from your area has/is studying externally.

I wish you all the best of luck hun!

studyingmumma Guest

Default New to Belly Belly

Hi all,

my name is Megan and I found this forum whilst searching for things about the Bachelor of Midwifery at UniSA.

I am a mum to 4 children (aged 9, 5, 3 and 1) and am about to embark on my second year of nursing at UniSA.

I applied for the Bachelor of Midwifery for this year however missed out by 1 point (my ranking score was 86, the internal cut of was 87 and the external was 88). To say that I am devastated is an understatement. There have been alot of tears, tantrums and reflections along with the what ifs??? over the last 3 days and at the moment I am just trying to get back on track and refocus on the nursing degree. My STAT test when I applied for nursing wasn't high enough for midwifery and for some reason they dropped the midwifery places back to 25 spots this year from around 40 in 2007 so it was harder to get into, even though my rank was high enough for the 2007 entry I don't know if they have done this because it has a high drop out rate or if so many mid students are doing it part-time that they aren't filling the expected classes or wether it just comes down to a funding issue, which is silly if that is the case because there is such a huge shortage of midwives at the moment!

I am trying to work out at the moment wether to do nursing part-time this year and try to improve my grade point average and then reapply to midwifery hoping to get in for 2009, or just accept it and finish nursing and then apply for a post graduate position in 3 years after completing my graduate nurse program. Unfortunately the post graduate positions in Adelaide are becoming quite hard to get into as well. At UniSA this year there was only 10 post grad midwifery positions and Flinders only offered 15. My best friend (who is an RN working on a post natal ward) finally just got an offer of a place in her third year of applying.

Sara - have you checked on SATAC to see if you have an offer for nursing?

To answer some of your questions about the nursing course, there are 4 subjects in the first year that both nursing and midwifery students are required to do (Human Body 1, Human Body 2, Being a Health Professional and Determining Australia's Health). There is a compulsory workshop to attend for being a health professional which was two days and then we had an elective workshop for determining australia's health but I am not sure if this will always be an elective or wether it was just last year. I would check to find out about that one.

Regarding placements, at UniSA nursing your first placement is in the second half of 2nd year and it is done in a Residential Aged Care Facility. It is a 4 week placement either in October or December and it is a full-time placement. You then do 2 x 8 week placements in 3rd year in a hospital setting. From enquiries we have made they do not offer mid ward type placements to nursing students as they are reserved entirely for the midwifery students.

Nina, congratulations on your offer for midwifery that is awesome, and congratulations on your pregnancy. I had the same thing happen to me when I first applied for uni and ended up deferring until after Jack was born, but luckily for me he has been a great baby and I have been able to study with him and I had great pregnancy's as well so it made it a bit easier! Regarding your placements I would definately take Sara's advice and speak to your local hospitals and make sure that they will allow it. I know in nursing most people haven't had a problem with interstate placements but I guess there are alot more hospitals around that the uni can put agreements into place with. I think the issues are something to do with insurance and invigilators etc. I know that on the course rules it says that interstate students may be required to attend placements in Adelaide (which is what they have told you) but I would talk to them and ask. Don't forget too that in order to gain your qualifications with the nursing boards you need to do 40 follow throughs with women for the antepartum, intra partum, post partum and post natal experiences as well as assisting in 30 (that is from memory so may be 40) normal births and there may be a requirement for complicated deliverys that they expect you to get outside of your normal placement times. Delivery's at placements do count but you also need to get extra from what I can tell. I am pretty sure you can start that from your first semester though so I would start seeking out pregnant women! LOL! Just give the nursing and midwifery school a ring (08) 8302 1805 (I had to speak to them today about subject choices so I had the number written down) and ask them about what places are available in Tasmania. They should be able to give you an indication of numbers as well as how hard it is to get hospitals on board if they aren't already.

Anyway, enough rambling from me!

Hope to talk to you guys a bit more and Sara, I will be checking back to see what offer you get! I am thinking that If I do study part-time this year I might look at doing a doula course as well so at least I am making a head start into my career as a midwife (especially as I won't be doing any placements this year doing it part-time!)

Bye!

Woo lots of things to comment on here!

Firstly, the BMID and BNURS course are fairly different in first year - there are only 2 of the subjects each semester that are in common (biology and being a health professional in first sem, and biology and cultural perspectives on health in 2nd) and there are big mid subjects in both semesters. It is hard to convey just *how* separate you are when you study mid - you have little to do with the nursing cohort except for a few labs and it is a fairly tight-knit group in the BMID (not all chummy though!).

Not sure about transferring but the problem will always be that there are limited spots for the BMID course so transfering isn't easy - it's still a small pot to try to get a place in!

Sara - there are no placements in first year for nursing, but there are for us student mids . I did 3 last year - one in a postnatal ward with a bit of birthing as well in a private hospital, one in an acute care nursing situation (it was a placement for the nursing skills subject that I did) where I caught lots of babes in Whyalla, and one in an antenatal clinic in Adelaide.

To a point you get to choose your own placements but it's only to select three preferences and there's no way to guarantee what you do. Keep an open mind about placements because all experience is fantastic! Placements are all over the place in Adelaide by the way.

Nina - This is going to sound harsh so I'll done my flameproof suit but from my experience, nothing upsets the staff at the uni, or other students, to see a place go to someone who can't carry through the course and then it's lost for an entire 3 years. I'd look into whether you can defer or not because my understanding is that you can't - some students have cut back their case load but I still think you need to keep studying and travelling and doing placement to maintain your candidacy.

Places in the course are *really* hard to come by and there are always more people to take the place and if you got in one year you have a good chance of getting in the following. Hard as it may be to swallow, doing nursing at your local uni and transferring at a later date, or doing the graduate program to get the BMID qualification may be a better and more flexible option.

Placements are usually in your home state and city but for Tasmania I can see that being a hard call if the culture isn't there to support the concept of direct entry. If there's no support for placements for local students, then you'd have to attend a placement in Adelaide as part of the course. Placements aren't deferable either. You'd have to find out whether there are arrangements in place with various hospitals to accept you from an insurance/liability point of view. I do know that people have had placements in Wollongong, country Qld, country Victoria and Canberra but not Tasmania. I doubt that the clinical placement unit could guarantee that until placements were arranged each year either - that's what has happened with the non-local students this year as well.

studyingmumma Guest

Default Hey Emma

Hi Emma,

well done on being in Midwifery. I have met a couple of ladies through the joint nursing subjects that are doing mid and they are lovely. I really was praying and working towards joining you guys but looks like i will need to try again next year!

Unfortunately I have done all 4 subjects that I could in nursing to count towards midwifery so I will be doing the nursing subjects this year so hopefully I can use them to get my GPA from 5.8 to 6 and give myself a bigger chance of getting into mid next year.

I tell you, after seeing I missed out by 1 ranking point my last couple of days have been a total write off.

And I am doing SBOCP1 over summer school so my motivation is down at 0 at the moment because I really felt that I was going to get into mid. I have even put a late preference in for Flinders in the hope that I may get a second round offer there cause I was well within their cut off scores.

Bloody UniSA dropping their places back!!!

anyway, enough from me, hope to hear around the boards how well your mid course is going! Good luck, hope you are enjoying your study break (why oh why didn't I give myself the time off!!)

Bye for now!

Megan - sorry to hear you missed out. Wait until the second round of offers is finalised though before you *completely* write it off! You never know what happens .

Just a few things I'm going to comment on though:
    * The reason for the reduced places is because of clinical placement spots being limited. This is, and always will be, the limiting factor in determining the number of spots available on the course, as there is no specific funding for these places under HECS or university funding arrangements.
    * In first year, mid students don't do Det Aus Health - that's a 3rd year subject for us because of our workload. First year has Cultural Perspectives on Health though.
    * Given my first point, the reason nursing students can't do mid placements is because we have enough trouble getting placements . I can tell you though that if you go to Whyalla and get a placement in the Women's and Children's ward, you get a lot of exposure to pregnant women and immediate post-partum and if there is no other mid student there, you may get to observe a birth. But given you have no "training" in it (from the university's and hospital's point of view only!!!!) they may be reluctant for that to happen, which I think is really sad.
    * Follow-through count is 30. You also need 40 normal births (so instrumental, c-section, complicated etc don't count there although you are supposed to be at 40 of those - I think it's easier to get them than normal ones!). Follow-throughs are amazingly time-consuming. For example, I have 14 of them to birth between now and August and I have been literally every day to the hospital for an appointment this year so far, and my holidays are not my own! They are time consuming, challenging and frustrating all at once. They are often boring, or unfulfulling, and a HUGE amount of work that really we get no credit for. They are expensive as well - petrol, parking, food, documentation and time lost from working if you, like me, hold down three jobs at the same time.

BUT

I wouldn't trade them for the world. My FTs are the real part of my studies. I get to know them and I get to welcome their babes into the world and words CANNOT describe how much that thrills me.

For reference:
    Program page: Bachelor of Midwifery at UniSA
    Structure: University of South Australia - Program IBMW, Bachelor of Midwifery (Pre-registration) (2008)
    Clinical placements: http://www.unisa.edu.au/nur/pdf/UniS...mentPoster.pdf

I totally know how it feels to wait and wait and wait - I quit my job and waited 4 months to find out whether I'd made a HUGE mistake and passed out with shock/delight when I found out I'd gotten in. Flinders is a great course as well and a great uni by the way - no idea why the lower TER for it though.

As I know what SBOCP1 is I can totally commiserate with you!! I did enrol in that for summer school but just needed.some.time.OFF and am SO glad that I did!

It's not so much of a break though - birthing women, 3 jobs, two weeks away with my honey singing with 200 other people, and trying to keep sane .

Good luck, honestly and heartfelt - it's hard when your calling is thwarted .

studyingmumma Guest

Default Thanks Emma

Thanks Emma for your kind words. I think I am just about cried out from this past few days. It has really shocked me how hard I am taking it as I thought that I prepared myself for not getting in when I found out there was a drop in places but obvioulsy I still believed it was achievable because I felt in my heart I was going to get in. I wish that I had applied for Flinders now because they have more places so I guess that is why their scores are lower. I am in Ridgehaven which is near Modbury so along way away from Flinders and with two kids still at home with me this year I don't know how I will manage it, but if I am lucky enough to get a place I will do whatever it takes to study mid. Judging by my disappointment I obviously am supposed to be doing midwifery.

Yes, SBOCP1 is so full on. So much reading and since finding out I missed out my motivation has dropped which makes it hard to keep reading so much and trying to take it all in. I know that I need to just concentrate on it and move on, but I am finding it easier said than done.

I don't work, but do have four children so that is my biggest issue with juggling placements etc, but hey I will do whatever it takes.

Anyway, need to go and feed the tribe.

Again, thank you for your kind words, they are appreciated

ninacadman Guest

Sara - thanks for the advice and congratulations - it's so different with the second baby - it's easy to forget that I'm pregnant (apart from feeling ill the whole time!) as I'm so busy with my son. With my first pregnancy I read all the books, took monthly progress photos and talked about it continuously!

studyingmumma - thanks as well for being so generous with your words - you must be devasted about the course after all your hard work. I know that since I began researching midwifery I have been really down about how bloody hard it is especially here in Tasmania. Until I found out about the external course at UniSA I was looking down the barrel of a 2-3 year nursing degree, minimum 1 year working as a nurse then 2 years postgrad diploma of midwifery. And I've already done a 4 year science degree with honours! It seems such a shame given the shortage of midwives in Australia and the number of keen people around that it should be so hard to get qualified and that there are so few direct entry courses. You're so tough doing study with all those kids - I don't know how you manage!! Still, at least you're in SA which is one of the best and most progressive parts of Australia when it comes to midwives and birthing options, continuity of care etc.

Emma - although it might be harsh it's good to have the opinions of someone on the "inside"! I have already been advised by several people at UniSA (including senior lecturers) that as long as I complete at least 1 unit in the first semester (I intend to do all 3) it will be fine for me to have 12 months leave of absense (meaning I won't study at all between mid 2008 and mid 2009). I realise this mightn't be popular with other students but I am passionate about this (as we all are) and have been thinking about it for a long time already. I want to make a start and if I didn't start this semester I would need to wait till 2010 to start (as I'm not prepared to start a degree with a toddler and a 6 month old baby). I have also been advised that it is possible to study the course part time (maybe this is only available to external students??) - obviously the placements would still be full time for the units I was studying. Because of this flexibility, while I might not neatly fit into the ideal 3 year full time mold, I don't think there's any chance of my place being "wasted" by me dropping out. In fact one of the main reasons I think the BMid would be a better option for me with young children is that it is so much more flexible than my local nursing course which I can't take leave of absence from, can't study partime and is an accelerated course which runs all year with no breaks. The other great advantage is being able to study online.

About the prac placements - when I first became interested in BMid through UniSA last year I began ringing my local hospitals . On the whole the response I got was pretty negative - they're set up for local nursing and post grad mid students - "we can't support special cases ie direct entry" but I did find one smaller private hospital in Hobart that was open to the idea. What I don't understand though is that the two hospitals who specifically said "no" to me on the phone (a private and our main public one) are affiliated with UniSA (according to someone in the Clinical Placements Unit who I have been emailing). I don't really understand what "affiliated" means - I plan to ring the CPU and talk to them about it. I'm a bit hesitant to call hospitals again as the lady from the CPU specifically said that they like to do all the negotiations with the hospital themselves. I do feel that the small private hospital is a real chance though and I haven't tried other parts of Tasmania yet - only Hobart.
    About the follow throughs - are the details of this all explained at the start of the first semester? Is it part of the uni degree or a separate requirement of the nursing board? Can some be done after the end of the degree? How does one "find" pregnant women? Do you go to all of the antenatal appointments for every woman or only some? If I need to find pregant women outside of my placements then I'm pretty sure that our local homebirth/independant midwife will take me on for 12 months which would really help.

Anyway, better get my little boy up.

Good luck to everyone.

Nina

studyingmumma Guest

Hey Nina,

I just wanted to say, if you can make it work to be able to see it through then go for it! If you can get the placements plus your follow throughs in Tas then grab it with both hands. The follow throughs are compulsory for both the course and the South Australian Registration Board and I assume the same for most of the other state boards. I am almost positive that you have to finish them to register as a midwife (that is what is says on the UniSA website for the course). Maybe just confirm it with the nursing board of Tasmania that the qualification will be recognised in Tas cause I know I have looked at a couple of courses interstate and have been told that their qualifications aren't automatically recognised here in SA so am not too sure if it works the other way too. (I hope that you understand what I am getting at - having a brain meltdown today )

I am insanely jealous of your offer, but I can totally understand your passion too because that is how I feel and unfortunately at the moment for me it seems like I am going to have to finish my nursing, do my Graduate Nurse Year and then try to get a post grad course (which is now 3 years at UniSA ) . This path is not exciting me right now, but unfortunately it looks like the only way I am going to be able to do it unless I reapply next year and try to improve my STAT test by resitting it. But now not so sure as to wether to just continue on with my nursing as I will only have 12 months to go and maybe it will open up more opportunities. So confused and unsure at the moment and am actually having a meeting with the head of the school at UniSA next week to get some guidance as to which way to go. I thought that I was doing the right thing by starting nursing to give myself a better chance of getting into midwifery and it turns out it doesn't make a scrap of difference because all they went on was my overall STAT score (4 marks under) and my ranking from my GPA (1 point under).

Anyway, congratulations again, and I hope that you get some firm answers from UniSA because I know how ambigious they can be and for interstate placements they should appreciate how important it is that you get the right information.

Good luck with your pregnancy! I know what you mean about forgetting about being pregnant. You should have seen me during my fourth pregnancy ! Poor Jack's photo albumn is alot thinner than the three others particularly our first!!

SARA - any news yet on offers?

Bye for now - back to read more on cardiovascular disorders!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast