Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Nursing/Midwifery students (or wannabes LOL)....

studyingmumma Guest

Hi all,

havent been here for a while, been very busy with my summer school subject. My head is literally swimming as it is such an intensive subject which is worse cause I am doing it over a shortened study period. This time in 3 weeks it will be over though, so I don't know if I am more happy that I am nearing the end of it or just freaking out that I don't feel anywhere near ready for the exam !

Regarding working whilst at uni, I know that here in SA we can get positions at alot of the hospitals once you have completed all of your 2nd year subjects and it is called a 3rd year undergrad position or something similar. I am looking to do this as I think i will need to do my 3rd year over two years to be able to do both of my 8 week placements whilst organising the kids etc. I also think it will be a great way to actually learn more about what our role will actually involve. I don't feel like uni is preparing me anywhere near enough! I also have heard you can go and do the mental health uni at TAFE after 2nd year finishes to become an EN but I figure that you may as well stick out the final year and then just get to RN anyway! But you might also need to talk to the nursing board in NSW to see what student positions you can get or the requirements for the EN positions.

I have come to terms with finishing nursing now and realise that the thing I found the hardest about missing out on midwifery is that I feel like it was a bit of a kick in the guts that I wasn't "good enough" to get into mid which because it is such a highly sought after and not a reflection on me. I think this has been the hardest thing not so much doing nursing. Still holding out hope for second round offer on 4/2/08 but not expecting anything as I don't think many people will actually turn the spots down!

Sara - you can actually accept the nursing offer whilst still being considered for midwifery so you don't miss out on both if you don't get a mid offer. If you haven't done that I would talk to SATAC to make sure your nursing place doesn't get offered to someone else in the second round offers.

I am hoping to do some placement in the special care nursery at the Womens and Childrens hospital in Adelaide and not really too sure what else at the moment. I think I want to end up in NICU or PICU when I finish but who knows, I might get in there and see it and think it isn't for me.

Will still aim to do midwifery after nursing and will try to get a RN job on a mid ward.

Anyway, off to do a bit of reading about asthma before I go to bed.

My oldest son is off to his first day of primary school tomorrow! My little boy is growing up!

Bye for now!

Megan

SamanthaP Guest

Hi Studyingmumma! I'm a BMid student at Flinders who lives at Golden Grove. Don't be put off by the distance!!

SamanthaP Guest

And not as much competition for placements out this way either!!

The Flinders TER has jumped this year - I think it was a 91 so quite a jump from last year. I initally got into UniSA Externally back in 2005 back deferred and then missed out by a point. Exactly the same as you SM! I had a 5.73 and the cut was 5.8! Anyway these things happen for a reason and I now go to Flinders which I love. Great uni!

Studyingmumma, i am definately planning on finishing the entire degree, but just wanted to work as well for more money and experience. Will look into the undergrad positions though. Let us know how you go with the second round offer. Good luck.

Well I just enrolled into two subjects the other day! Very exciting. I recieved one of my books yesterday so thats cool too. I havent had the chance to look at it yet, but am looking forward to starting some reading.

Teetee Guest

Karina, it is very exciting once you have enrolled into your subjects, cant wait to start the study part now.
    Have just finished enrolling into mine and worked out a really nice timetable and my DS asked why I hadn`t enrolled to study online? So I have just gone back on line and there are only 2 of my subjects that I can study on line, if I swap them it means that I can be at uni an hour later and leave an hour earlier, not sure what to do???? Would I spend this time wisely? or just sleep in a bit later? Leaning towards leaving it as it is, at least I know then I will be studyingit is just going to be such a long day.

I love the enrolment process too!! However I hate the fact that I still don't know what days my hospital placements are! I have applied for a credit for my prac 1 subject, so don't even know if I am at the hospital at all!!!

My timetable last year was so easy. Three days and that was it. Two weeks block prac, that is when hubby took holidays so I didn't need the extra childcare. But having changed Uni's they do it completely different. Three days a week at the hospital, and friday's on campus for all day.

What are everyone elses' days?

Teetee Guest

I managed to get one lecture on monday afternoon, tuesday I am there from 8.30am till 5.30pm then I have 2 lectures friday am and one later in the afternoon. Not too bad really. Had another look at which ones I could complete on line and it didnt help much, just meant that I could loose one lecture midday on tuesday and the middle one on the friday, if I could have wiped out one day that would have been different. Went for a tour round the uni last night, I cant wait to get there now.

Anyone else studying in Perth? ECU or Curtin?

Karina - I have already bought my textbooks too! One of them, about the history of nursing, I have almost finished reading. It is a fairly short book, but really interesting, and it was written by the lecturer. I also bought the marieb "Human anatomy and physiology" which I need for my bioscience subject. Expensive, but it will be the only text I need next semester when I do the physiology and anatomy subjects, plus it will no doubt be invaluable throughout my program.

I am also relieved as I found out I only need to travel to CQU's Noosa campus to do my residential schools and not Rockhampton. That is only 1 hr or so drive from home which is great!

I haven't actually thought much about the clinicals, other than to hope I can do them at the hospital close to home. With my part time load, I won't actually need to do a clinical until second semester next year, and that will be for two weeks I think.

Bon - That's awesome that you can do your res school at Noosa! Yay! I will keep that in mind for when we are back down in Brisbane and I take up my enrolment again.

The Marieb book is def. worth the investment when you can use it for so many subjects.

With the clinicals - we were told that we wouldn't be able to do them in a metropolitan hospital. It has to be a regional hospital so no Brissy hospitals allowed. Having said that though, my brother used to work in medical recruitment and he reckoned hospitals like Ipswich and Caboolture are considered regional so you might get lucky and be able to do it close to home. I live in Gladstone and was chatting to a couple of girls at exams last year who said they had to go To Rockhampton for their clinicals because they have only just changed the ruls to allow Gladstone hospital. Crazy!!

Good luck with your study!

Ohhh I'm so excited about starting! I will be doing this year externally and if I am having too many issues with external study, I think Iam going to apply at a local uni to study internally. There are 2 unis close to me that offer nursing, so I'll have a look at which one I can get the most credit from for the subjects I will have completed by then! I'm starting to think I wont be good with external study because I get distracted too easily. I wanted to go to UTS here in Sydney as you get to do one day a week in the hospital, from about week 3 or 4 of semester, and I reckon that would be awesome.. but only possible if by some magical power I manage to get more days at childcare for Claire-bear.

I got my fundamentals of nursing book the other day and wow, its huge! Its so big that the package it was in while in the post broke. I'm also going to have to get the Marieb book soonish. I was going to go to the textbook shop last week and see if they had it, but I was too lazy. They have it at the TAFE bookshop near me. Might see about going this afternoon as I have to be out of the house anyway because the pest-man is coming to spray to place. Hopefully he can kill my ****roaches - YUK!!

I've logged into my uni thing on the net and I've already got access to all the online course material, but semester hasnt started yet... not sure if I am meant to be able to get into alll the course stuff just yet? Oh well. Its interesting to read, especially the human body subject I'm doing. I didnt do any science in year 12 so its all pretty new to me.

Default UniSA Bachelor of Midwifery

Hey Sara, I just read your latest post.
    Did you get into the bachelor of Mid in the second round offers? I hope so! But if you didn't, could you just do a few subjects from the BN then swap to BMID next year?

I didn't know that UniSA offered the BMID externally. I applied to get into the BMID at ACU in Brisbane and I got in, but as I have a small bub, live on the Gold Coast, and ACU only offer it fulltime I ended up turning down the offer and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to do the BN and then the Masters of MID at Griffith University on the coast here instead.

How did you go about applying for UniSA?

I'd love to hear from anyone who is currently studying externally through UniSA and how you are finding it . . .

Hi Charli'smumma. Congrats on getting in. Sorry you were unable to take up the offer. I have just started studying nursing externally through UniSA. I've only just started so I cant comment much on it just yet.. But Mother Goose completed her nursing degree through UniSA so I'm sure she will be able to give you some good info. All I can really say is that you are given access to their online learning materials and you use those as well as the texts to study. I applied through SATAC (www.satac.edu.au).

studyingmumma Guest

Default Fantastic News

Hi All,

just wanted to share some exciting news. I got a phone call from the Manager of Academic Services at UniSA today and they have offered me a place in Midwifery!!!! They had a couple of places open up and asked if I would like a spot!

I am totally blown away, can't stop smiling, keep pinching myself and so excited. I can accept my place tomorrow through SATAC and enrol straight away in my subjects. I am just so absolutely wrapped. I am now a Student Midwife!

I cannot believe it!!

Congratulations SM I hope you really enjoy the experience

Hi girls!

Charli'smumma - Nope have'nt heard anything back from UniSA. Seems as though they might be handing out some leftover places from SM's post!! I hope to be receving one of those calls! Karina has pretty much told you everything you need to know about applying for BMID through UniSA.

SM - Congratulations!!!! Good luck with it all!

Hey Sara, oh I hope you get that phonecall, I have my fingers crossed for you! Will you start out doing the BN otherwise?

karina, thankyou for the link for SATAC. I shall have to check it out

Studyingmumma CONGRATULATIONS Will you be enrolling in the fulltime study load? I'd love for you to keep me posted on how you find juggling the external study and motherhood

Ohhh, I'm definately going to look into doing the BMID through UniSA, it was so heartbreaking for me to turn down my offer with ACU. I'm so glad I found out about it all through this thread. Thanks guys!

I am currently a 2nd year nursing student & hope to pick up midwifery when im finished because where im from we dont have a mid course so i decided to do it later on

I love the course & those starting this year im sure you will too if you need anything just ask

Congrats to those that have gotten in, and *hope* to those who are still waiting!!

I'm going into 2nd year in just 11 days and am excited and a bit overwhelmed. I've had 5 births this year already and when I am asked what year I'm in, I have to remind myself that I'm a second year and say it proudly . I get treated very differently even now and it's a big reminder that in just 2 years, I'll be registered and Real.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast