Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing/Midwifery students (or wannabes LOL)....

Lisa76 Guest

Mother Goose.... THANKYOU so much for all your help. I have now finished all my work and posted it in. Phewww, I am so glad it is all finished and hopefully if i pass I will never have to think about that subject again. Society and Culture has to be the worst of the lot, although having said that I can see it's relevance to nursing. Thanks again, you have been fantastic

Good for you Lisa! And not a problem. If you want to email me, my Uni ID is NITNL001 and my last name is Dewhurst - just look me up in the directory and flick me an email. I hope what I wrote actually helped you. I think I must have blocked that subject out of my mind!
    I did my last exam today and am pretty nervous about it.... Hopefully I passed! But I got my NC5 results and got a C - 1 point off a D which really annoyed me but that's life!
    Good luck with your results!

Lisa and Trish, i've just emailed you the info on Birth Central. Sorry it's taken a while! Let me know if there's any problems.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say I did 2.5yrs of my Bach of N and stupid me didn't finish it. I have become very disillusioned by the industry lately and I am starting to look in other directions. The main subject I had problems with was Sociology. I had a lecturer who was Deaf in both ears and hence spoke in a mono tone and put me to sleep every lecture or tut without fail. Hence the reason I didn't pass the two times I attempted that course. Part of me wishes I had've finished as then I could have gone on to do Midwifery or something instead of being a sh*t kicker in a nursing home. My Dh is now pushing me to go back to work. he claims for financial reasons (we just bought a house but are coping well on just one wage). He doesn't understand that putting the kids in any type of care eats away any benefit from working...*GRR* Sorry bout the vent. Am almost to the point of leaving him atm and no-one in my family seems to want to hear it. They know how he treats me and they all say it's wrong, but it's up to me to fix it, yet how can I when he makes me feel so inferrior and worthless? When he cuts me off and won't let me finish? When my brain won't let me get what I feel out properly? Ok. Enough ranting and raving.
    I'm not even sure I remember overly much from what I learnt at Uni. But maybe in time I will go back and finish it. Anyone else sick of the politics beind nursing institutions??

Katkins, I'm sorry about the troubles with your DH. But I totally hear you about Sociology. I did it 3 times. The first time I dropped out after being accussed of plagerism on an assignment I actually didn't do any research for. Turns out half my step mother's class were accused of the same thing the year before. I complained of course and the teacher isn't there any more. Second time I dropped out because I was doing too much and third time I refused to spend any more money on the stoopid course so bit the bullet and finished it.
    About politics do you mean hospital politics, government funding politics or nurses politics? After all the nurse politics at my last placement, I have vowed to never return to that hospital as either a patient or a nurse! But unfortunatly, politics is everywhere. I've learnt to ignore what I can, I keep away from the "bad eggs" on wards (once I work out for myself who they are) and keep in mind why I'm there. I love looking after people and I actually enjoy most aspects of nursing so I guess I can overlook certain things. Plus, I love the fact that there are so many areas of nursing so I am always bound to find something that suits me. There's community nursing (RDNS), being a nurse in a GP's office, being a nurse on production sets or in remote areas like the mines, Royal Flying Doc Service. I love it. I can't wait to get out there and start spreading my wings in all those areas! And if I ever get sick of nursing, I'll just swap over to the ambulance serivce!
    If you've completed 2.5 years of your RN, you should be able to enrol with the nurses board as an EN and work as one in any number of areas (not restricted to nursing homes). If you don't want to finish your degree, that's another option. And I believe they get paid ok money too.
    Good luck with what ever you decide.

MG

Tegan, thanks for the info. I haven't really had a chance to have a good look at it yet, but I'm sure it's fine

I rang re registering as an enrolled nurse. They said you can't do that unless you actually do the EN course so I can't even work as an EN. My only option is to work as an AIN or CSE.

Hi Liana,
    I started studying my Masters of Midwifery and left with only one subject to go because I was the same as you and really didnt feel like I was 'supporting' the woman like I wanted too. I also studied to become a Doula through Optimum Birth and havent looked back since. I absolutely LOVE being a Doula and would recommend it to everyone who wants to support a woman through pregnancy and birth without all the hospital/medical issues.
    Claire (Belly to Baby)

Lisa76 Guest

Tegan... Thank you so much for emailing me the info pack, it is really interesting.

MotherGoose.... I PASSED SOCIETY AND CULTURE I got a P1 for all my journal entries and a P1 for my essay. I am so glad that I can put that subject out of my mind.

I think the problem with society and culture is that it involves soooo much written work, like Katkins, I also had a boring lecturer but instead of talking in a monotone, my lecturer was way tooo excited about the subject and each lecture was filled with 1 hour of reallllllly looooong words, so after trying to get my head around all the ridiculous words he was using I couldnt remember a thing that he said. I still dont know what 'homogeny' or 'autoreflexsivity' means and he was determined that we should make them a part of our daily vocabulary!!!!

Katkins...Can you re-enrol in the nursing degree and get credits for all the work you have already done and finish it? I don't know how all that works but at least you wouldn't waste all the work you have already put in??

Mummabear.... Do you find it hard to get clients as a doula, are you working for yourself (running your own doula business) or do you work for someone who gets all the clients for you?? I am considering doing the doula course but I live in SA and doulas are relatively unheard of here. I was telling my GP about the course the other day and even she had never heard of a doula! So my main concern is if I am going to be able to get the clients and how to go about getting them. I think getting the word out is going to have to be my first point of focus, maybe by getting a story in the newspaper and advertising in all major hospitals. I am worried that I won't be able to find enough work to make it my only occupation, but it would be hard to work another job around being a doula as you can't schedule childbirth into a roster? How does it work for you??

Congratulations Lisa! That is fantastic news! Any other results in yet?

Congratz on passing Lisa! Well done.

MummaBear...I'm so glad you've found doula-ing such a joy! I'm procrastinating w/ my last little bit of the course....it's getting into lots of reading, and I'm mainly just learning to set up business now...it's like I'm freakin' out 'cause I'm knowledgable enough to get crackin', haha...it's sorta scary, feeling the responsiblity of it all...but I'm also so very excited, and just can't wait! I still feel a huge desire to become a midwife though...it's been calling me for many years...since I was 12 or so, and I just want to change the system from within, you know? I have fantasies of being a midwife people write about, who changes society by being real! I'm currently reading 'The Midwife's Tale' by Nicky Leap and Billie Hunter, and it's so interesting! It talks about the time before midwives had to be registered... the 'Handywomen', who were often drinkers but often great favourits with clients. lol....that made me laugh...I don't agree w/ attending a women while drunk, but I agree that most (good) midwives really have a great personality...are peoples people, are fun, and free-spirited, and supportive of everyone. I was into being a (blues) musician before I got married and had my kids (and lost all ability to write, sing, or play.lol) and...well, I feel just as much excitement and passion towards being in the birth field as I did about the music (except, the birth field is so much more family-friendly! ). So I've decided to try to get into midwifery for next year...I just have to give it a shot, otherwise, I'll be forever wondering "what if?"..........and, yes, I already feel that way about the music, some days.
    Last edited by Lil_Pearl; July 9th, 2006 at 04:02 PM.

Hi Everyone,

Yes being a Doula is absolutely the most rewarding job ever invented, and yes Lisa, it is still really unheard of which is really sad. Fortunately the word is slowly spreading and I have been able to get 3 clients within the last couple of months. So if you are looking for a full time career, it is not going to happen overnight. I do run my own business. I called it Belly to Baby - Pregnancy, Birth and Postnatal Doula Support. I had a baby 7 months ago myself, so I am only now really knuckling down and getting myself promoted. I have a friend who is doing a website for me and my husband and I are organising to get the business name printed in HUGE stickers and stuck across our car. A good way to advertise dont you think? I am going to have on the car, Are you pregnant? and mention something about hire a doula!! and ofcourse the website address. So at least if women dont know what a Doula is, they will know its something to do with pregnancy and hopefully have a look at the website and go WOW!!.

Liana, you will love being a Doula. I studied 3/4 of my Midwifery and never went back after discovering the life of a Doula. When I go to see my clients it is basically like having a coffee and a great chat and getting paid for it!! I spent almost 2.5hours today talking to my client and the time just flew by! I managed to calm her nerves about a few things and she was smiling and happy when I left. It just makes you feel like you have really achieved something and changed someones life over a cup of coffee!. It is very rewarding. As a midwife you will duck in and out from patient to patient, and not really get to know the woman, where as a Doula is part of the whole pregnancy and birth and is there to support the woman every step of the way and also be there to help them after they have the baby. I guess being a Doula you get to see the whole story and not just one chapter as you would as a Midwife. I find this so much more rewarding!.

However as Lisa mentioned, the births arent exactly scheduled and it can be difficult with two little ones at home too. Luckily I have a very supportive mother who is here when I need her. I also work as a Mothercraft Nurse and help mums with their babies. For example, I have a job coming up Mid Aug and will stay at the families house throughout the night from 6pm to 6am and do all the newborn care. (luckily the pay is FANTASTIC!!) However I also have a client who is due mid Aug, but my Mothercraft Nurse client is very happy for me to go to the birth when I need too. So basically, it all works out in its own little way!!.

MummaBear...yes, that's one thing I love about the doula, that we support the woman, not the system. If I get into midwifery, I'll certainly continue doula work (while a student midwife), and when I have gained enough experience, I will become an independent midwife. If I knew I'd just be hanging out in hospitals my whole life, I'd never do it! But I love the idea of being an independent midwife, to have that responsibility, and to help change the way midwives are portrayed and treated within the birthing system as we know it today. It's all got to change, it's just all such a disgrace at the moment....we've gotta tear down the idea of birth as a medical event. I'm hoping that by becoming a midwife, and while having to work within a hospital setting, I can at least try to decrease the intervention rates, at least, among my clients. That's the frustrating thing about doula work...yes, we help drop intervention rates by supporting the woman, helping her go-with-the-flow, and by educating her of her rights.... but when a woman is in a hospital system, she is just so vulnerable, and so likely to still be taken advantage of by the "health care professionals".... as a doula, we can't directly stick up for her. I want a bit of authority...not over the woman (!), over the system.

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!! I just got my first semester results in this morning! I got a High Distinction for Bioscience, and a Distinction for Nursing & the Healthcare system!! Am soooo happy with that, though I dont know how I managed to pull of that grade for the nursing subject... I was convinced I was only going to just scrape a pass!!
    Awesome news on passing your assignment Lisa.. that subject sound SCARY (is Society & Culture pretty much the same subject as Sociology?). I certainly wont be looking forward to that one!
    Your marking system sounds different down there Lisa & MG, I dont understand it! We have grades 1 - 7.
    1 & 2 = fail; 3 = low pass; 4 = pass; 5 = credit; 6 = distinction; 7 = high distinction.

I start back at uni on Monday, am picking up a 3rd subject this semester, so hopefully I can handle it!

Congratulations Ambah! They are great results! Yeah, our system is slightly different. It's done on %. I forget how it's all divided up but a P2 is just pass, P1 is slightly better, then we have Credit, Distinction and High Distinction.

Lisa76 Guest

Ambah... CONGRATULATIONS on your results, a HD in Bioscience is fantastic. I don't have my bioscience exam for another 2 weeks (long story) so hopefully i do ok, I got a distinction for the first exam and would like to get the same for the major exam so I get a good overall mark. Yes i think society and culture would be the equivalent to your sociology. I HATED it, but you never know, you may enjoy it. I am going to pick up an extra subject first term next year as i think the two subjects that I have to do are quite easy ones so hopefully I can handle the extra subject.

Mothergoose... I don't have any other results in yet, have to wait until I have done my bioscience exam. Are you an external student? and are you going to be doing midwifery after the nursing degree? Your nearly finished nursing aren't you, how long do you have to go?

Mummabear... your business name is excellent. I hope it is really successfull for you.

Liana.... Good luck with getting into midwifery next year. Are you going to sit the STAT test? Have you thought about putting nursing as your second choice in case you don't get into Mid?
    Last edited by Lisa76; July 10th, 2006 at 09:00 PM.

Ambah, congrats on your fantastic test results YAY to you!!!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast