Thread: So is this a positive sign?

Question So is this a positive sign?

DH checked his application status last night on QTAC and it said "QTAC records show you have met the minimum requirements for this course"

So we know there are points that you have to reach, and between his grade 12 and diploma course - must of fulfilled all the points required - so is it a positive sign that the next step is to be offered a place, or can you fulfill all the requirements and NOT be offered a place?

Has anyone known of anyone who wasn't offered a place in the course that they put down even though they fulfilled all the point requirements?

Just wanna know if I'm moving to Queensland or not

It is done on a preference basis so it is possible to meet the requirements and not be offered a place. It works on a ranking system where each applicant is ranked against other applicants - straight out of school they are given an OP to rank them against other applicants (it's called other things in other states), mature aged students are also ranked on their qualifications and experience but I don't they are assigned an OP as such??? It just depends on who else applies for the course and it can change from year to year so it is impossible to know until places are offered.

For example - a bachelor of education (BEd) may have course requirements of a sound in English and Maths B and a minimum OP of 12 which means you are eligible to apply for the course. However, if there are a large number of applicants, places may only be offered to those with OPs of 10 or better. Does that make sense?

I hope I have answered your question. I don't want to dash your hopes at all but it really is impossible to know. Meeting the course requirements is a great first step!

Yup makes sense.

Just have to cross our fingers that everyone else applying for nursing next year at QUT is a dumb arse.. LOL

Hun dont lose hope yet, Uni's have to have a quota of mature age students and he looks good by those standards considering he finished Yr 12 AND has a Diploma.

Heck they accepted me to a highly sought after accelerated nursing degree and I only had Yr 12 (and they were pass marks but not amazing or anything).

That's a good point about mature age students. Universities tend to prefer them because they are more likely to stick at it and finish the course. Kids straight out of high school have a much greater drop out rate and it doesn't look good on the statistics. Also uni's tend to put a lot by any work experience too, it's not just all about formal education.

Good luck with the application - I hope you are moving to Queensland next year!!! Otherwise, JCU has heaps of space so you could always come to Townsville

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
    Otherwise, JCU has heaps of space so you could always come to Townsville
    haha!! Nah lived there before, too bloody hot and my family isn't there. Plus my ex-fiance lives there... don't wanna run into him any time soon!!! lol

Fair enough. I had to put it out there though ...

Would you change your mind if I moved back Melly....................

Mel. I had completed two tafe certificates (cert II business and cert III aged care) and Griffith accepted me for nursing...

I rang CQU today and they told me that if I do one of their bridging courses, I will automatically be accepted into the bachelor of nursing.

DMB: Thats what my SIL had to do because she didn't finish grade 12 and didn't have any certificates or diplomas. Is that your situation also?

I have done Year 12, but not completed anything since (have started a few courses, but lost interest as they were industry related to an industry I didn't see myself growing old in).. They said that I could apply on that and probably still be accepted, but going this other way, I get refresher on research and referencing, and automatic acceptance.

Ahhh ok cool.

Well if the house doesn't sell, then he'll have to defer for a year anyway if he does get in. I hate not knowing what is going on in my life!

I completed a Certificate IV in Adult Tertiary Preparation - which I think they call a Bridging course. I did it at the Brisbane North Institute of TAFE and it was excellent. I was only 19-20 at the time - I left high school half way through year 12 (long story) and found the TAFE course was fantastic.

I had the opportunity to compare and believe me the "bridging course" stepping stone is a great way to get started before embarking on a university degree - especially for those that have been about of the "studying" game for quite a while. Plus, you're surrounded by people who are also working towards similar goals and they're focused. They want to be there.

I highly recommend it. I recommended it to my brother who works in special education and caring and he started a Bachelors degree in Special Ed, and didn't survive it. He admittedly underestimated the study skills needed. It's only a years worth of a course, and believe me it could save alot of heart ache and money.

Just my two cents :-)

On the flip side - meeting the requirements is have the battle Arimeh's Eden. So i would take it as nothing but a positive sign. But the ladies here are correct - it depends on the popularity of the course.
    I'm a QUT graduate and i'm pretty sure somewhere on the website with all the course details it tells you what the intake was the previous enrollment. I was looking into something just last night and found a university said "all qualified applicants made an offer" - or something similar.

Unfortunately though, can't count your chickens till you get that offer in the mail (or in your case, via QTAC) :-) Keeping everything crossed for you guys. Queensland is a great place to live - and QUT is awesome :P (but i'm biased :P)

Good luck!!