Thread: So what happens from here?

Question So what happens from here?

I've never applied to uni, I wanted to go after grade 12, but the stupid teacher at my school gave me the wrong information, and I only ended up doing 5 board subjects instead of 6 - so never got given an OP score. So I have absolutely no clue as to how the uni applications work.

DH has applied to study nursing - at QUT Caboolture for his first preference, and USC for his second choice (University of the Sunshine Coast). He completed year 12 in 1993, did a Diploma in 2004 - so he has had previous study experience - if that makes a difference!

My SIL is currently studying nursing now (first year) and thinks he will get in on his first preference.

So how long is the process? When do you usually find out if they have been accepted for 2011?

If he gets in, we'll have to sell the house and move to Qld - so its hard to determine what kind of time line we have, when we really don't have any idea of the process and the length of stuff.

Anyone able to help me out?

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

Did he apply directly or through QTAC? QTAC should have a fixed date of notification, requires you to check online. If he applied directly then it's more of a up to the uni thing, give them a call and ask when the letters of offer are sent out. I got my letter of offer late January for an early March start.

He applied via QTAC yesterday arvo - through their online application process.

I don't remember seeing a fixed date of notification.... would it be in the emails they sent us?

if he applied to start in 2011, he'll find out in January.
    the good thing about being a mature-aged student (over 25), is you have a greater chance of getting your first preference as the uni's have to have a certain amount of MA'd students.
    btw, usc is brilliant, that's where i went, and i loved it, really chilled out, the facilities are great.

just checked - he'll know which one he got into on January 13, on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by boobaloo View Post
    just checked - he'll know which one he got into on January 13, on the net.
    Thanks babe!!!

Oh - and USC was his first preference, but since he wants to live close to the uni (since we will be so very broke and won't be able to afford petrol!) it was a toss up between Sippy Downs or Caboolture to live - and its way cheaper to rent in Caboolture than Sippy Downs, plus my sister lives in Caboolture. So he saw my logic (ha!) and changed his preference.

so you'll be a qld'er again!
    we rented in sippy downs, some were quite reasonable, apparently buderim is also pretty good rent-wise and is 5 mins from the uni.
    good luck for dh!

Are you moving back to Qld??

And good on him for wanting to do nursing, more men should! Hope he gets in.

I dont know anything about uni hon but Ill be stoked if you move to QLD!!!

Haha yeah I'll be a qlder again. I've already been asked if I would be able to handle the heat up there - helllloooooooooooooo I lived there for 20 years!!! I think I can handle it..

We checked the places for rent - and for the amount of bedrooms that we want, there is hardly any on the sunny coast under $380 a week. You can get a 4 bedroom place in caboolture in a brand new house for around $320 on average....

Limey - if he gets in, we're moving. And I told him he should be a midwife, cos hardly any men in that field - and he was such an awesome birth support for me.

Natty - haha thanks

Yay on him applying.. Did he just apply as mature age with the personal compencies assessment? I am debating whether to do the STAT test or not.. I have two people doing the referee guff for me, then I am going to apply.. (doing correspondence though through CQU)..

He applied as mature age, but I don't know much more than that? He didn't elect to take the STAT test because he has studied before, and Diplomas count for something I'm sure - he didn't put his work experience in because its not relevant to nursing (unless architecture and nursing are related haha) so he didn't need to have any references stuff from past employers.

They aren't employer references, just personal ones... But previous study will definitely help, LOL..

Ahhh ok, we didn't see the personal references part - well maybe he did, I probably wasn't paying attention.. LOL

I got a letter from my employer (nursing home) to help with my nursing application. I didn't do the STAT test either. I got my first preference. Good luck!