Thread: study Midwifery externally??

Default study Midwifery externally??

Hi everyone!
    I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about studying Midwifery externally?? I was going back to uni next year to finish my Masters of Midwifery but I just cant bare to leave my little boys. If anyone knows anything, it would be great to hear from you

What state are you in? I have applied to do a BA of Midwifery externally through Uni SA. I'm not sure if they do the post graduate degree externally but it would def be worth checking out. I'm pretty sure that you can do your placements in your own state so no travelling to SA would be involved. HTH's!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

HI Mummabear - yep I second what Nat has said! In all of my research for studying midwifery only Unisa does offer the study externally, and I have heard really really great things about the course!

sweeitpi Guest

Howdy Mummabear,
    Yep the only place to study mid externally in SA is uniSA. the only thing isbecause you aren't on campus it can be difficult to find time to study, especially with kids, apart from that, go for it!

If you are in Melb, Monash Uni runs a Master of Clinical Midwifery, off campus. Just go to their website and head to the School of Nursing/Midwifery. Applications for next year may have closed but some allow for late applicants. Good luck with it.

Hi ladies,

I have done my nursing degree externally from Vic with UniSA. I'm pretty sure that the Uni does offer post grad mid externally but just check on the website. I love the flexibility of external study as I can study when it suits me. Finding the motivation can be difficult... In regards to placements, you can do them all here in Vic. The only thing is you will need to attend workshops at the University a few weeks prior to the placement commencing. The workshops are generally only a couple of days. I think most of mine were about 2 or 3 days. Exams can be done here as well - you just have to organise an invigilator (supervisor) who has to meet certain criteria i.e. be a lawyer, JP, teacher, police officer etc. Although I did nursing and not midwifery, feel free to fire any questions about external study through UniSA my way and I will answer them if I can.

Love MG

Hi girls,
    I am on the Gold Coast, so I am not sure how it would work. I might email the course convenor and see what she says.

Thanks heaps!

How did you go Mummabear? I am also interested in doing this, but am also in a position where studying full time at UNI would be difficult with 3 young (none in school yet) at home.

I'm in Syndey.

MummaBear what did you find out? I am on the GC too and am interested.

Me too, I would love to find out if the course is available to us Gold Coasters.

The University of South Australia offers the Bachelor of Mid externally and you do not have to be living in SA to do this course. You can also do it part time. HTH.

MG

MG,
    for your nursing degree, did you have to go to SA for workshops for each subject? Or was it just before you did a placement? Also, do you begin placements in your first year or second?
    I'm thinking of applying to do this next year, hopefully part time to begin with if I can.

Karina - Not sure if you're still looking for info on this - but I am studying a nursing degree part time and externally through CQU (Central QLD uni). There are short (2-4 days) workshops that I have to go to CQU for but only for some subjects. For example, the science-type subjects or practical nursing subjects where there is a practical component that just can't be completed off-campus. It makes it expensive - paying for travel and accommodation to the uni for those few days but it is well worth it. In the CQU degree, clinical placements start 2nd semester of your first year but it depends which subjects you enrol in. Because I am part time, by the time I get around to enrolling in the subjects that include a clinical placement, I will probably be in my 3rd year. It is pretty flexible as long as you complete pre-requisites in the appropriate order.
    There must be other unis that offer nursing externally - I would just google it and have a browse through the different websites. GL!!

Oh my goodness! Karina - you posted in April and I'm only just reading it! How awful do I feel!!!!!!!!!!

The course at my old Uni has recently changed. When I did it, you only went to workshops for clinical subjects and you went a couple of weeks prior to commencement of placement. I understand that in addittion to those workshops, students are required to attend one in first year, second semester.
    There are no clinicals in first year any more. I think there are two lots of 6 weeks placements in 2nd year, a 6 week and an 8 week in 3rd year. Of course, if you do it part time you can manipulate your work load by picking your subjects to determine when you go back to SA and when you do clinicals. If you aren't in a position to take time off work you can defer the clinical subjects for a year. The only catch is you have to ensure all pre-req's are met. The Uni is pretty flexiable about work load (providing your pre-req's are met).

HTH and sooooooooooooo sorry about the delayed reply!!!!