Thread: How to start?

Cool How to start?

I'm wanting to start using MCNs but not sure how to begin. I don't have a credit card so is it possible to purchase them at shops?

Which brands to start with?
    Are they able to be put in the tumble dryer?

any help appreciated.
    kaz

Kaz firstly with the credit card, i dont have one either but pay for everything via direct deposit. so no problems there.
    you need to work out which ones you want, fitteds and covers, AIO's or pockets, if you want ones that can go in the dryer lots then fitteds are the way to go as pul shouldnt go in to often, pockets dry quickly and the inserts can go in the drier as many times as you like. AIO's take longer to dry as there thicker. where in melbourne are you??? we are having a sew up in 2 weeks if you like to come along to meet us and check out people stashes!!

Hi Kazbah, i'm the same as you, would love to use MCN's but dont really know alot about them, i've brought a couple of different one's off ebay but dont know if they are good or not.
    AJP, i would be very interested in seeing the nappies 'in the flesh', where in Melbourne is the meet up, if it's ok for me to come that is!!!!

Yes, MCN can go in the dryer, preferably on low temp. There is a cloth nappies discussion thread and the girls in there are very helpful. Also there are great websites around if you google - or ask the girls in the cloth nappy thread. I got started by going to a nappy party where I could see the nappies IRL - but I asked lots of questions on here first!

Not all AIO take a long time to dry - the ones I have are super quick to dry. So it's not just about type of MCN but also brand. There is a lot to take in but once you get started it's much easier than you think.

Most of the online shops take paypal and direct deposit so no worries there. GL with it, my only regret is that I didn't start using MCN earlier - I love them! BTW I use a combination of fitteds with covers, and AIOs.

lea the meet up is in langwarrin at Melbels house sat 17th november

Bugger !!!! That's my son's bday, i wont be able to make it
    Hopefully there will be something else come up soon, how do i find out about nappy parties, is the info in the cloth nappy thread?

Sorry to crash your thread Kazbah

GL - no, crash away!

Will have to check where Langwarrin is! And also if we're doing anything the 17th
    Thanks for the invite.

Lea, the one I went to was run by a company selling MCN called Baby Beehinds. If you contact your local rep (which you can find from their website - it won't be too hard to find!) they can come and do a party for you. I found it really good to be able to see and touch the nappies, and also ask unlimited questions. I am pretty sure some of the other MCN sellers to them too, also some of them have physical stores you can go to - maybe ask in the cloth nappy thread or use google and try looking at some sites.

Are Monkey Doodlez a good place to start?

I use Monkey Doodlez....but only cos i sell em and never had a problem :P

I like BBH for AIO's.....or Bubblebubs.

Where are you Kazbah?

theweewuns store is in Emerald and sometimes she will allow you to shop in person at her home. You can take along what you want to spend and the best part is you can see and pat everything
    She also accepts direct deposit so you don't need a cc if you'd prefer to order online.

I'm not affiliated with her but I live close by and I've been to her place a few times.

oooh I'm in Belgrave Sam

And there's a bus to Emerald too! - I've emailed her to find the address.

I'm very excited, I'm getting some MonkyDoodlez today, and have started trying to convince DF about the $$$ savings. Which I think will be more for a second child if we're blessed that way.

When I get my new MCNs home, I think I read somewhere to wash them 3 times - first time with detergent and the 2nd / 3rd times with plain water? Do I let them dry in between or wash them already wet?

Last edited by Kazbah; November 7th, 2007 at 09:40 AM.

There is no need to dry in between the prewashes - thank goodness because I couldn't wait that long to use them LOL!! They don't reach full absorbency until around 10 washes though, so be aware of that. I found it made a big difference.