Thread: New Swaddlebees Econappi

Default New Swaddlebees Econappi

Has anyone tried the new Swaddlebees Econappi? What do you think of it? Since it is a one-size, do you think it will be too late to get a couple for my 12kg DS? It's not the waist i am worried about, it's around the legs..

Hey Antheia!

We have one. I think they are a bit over priced, but it does have a lovely velour inner and good quality insert. Just a bit pricey for me!
    Nice nappy though. My DD is a bit over 9 kgs, and she has it on the middle snap setting but probably is very close to having it on the largest setting. I think it would still be ok for your son, what does the weight range say??...I can't remember of the top of my head.
    Do you have any BG pockets??..to me it looks similar sizing to that..

It says size up to 16kgs but DS just has quite large thighs. They are a little pricey but if it means to spend more for using organic material then i will. But would like him to be in them until toilet training. It's so hard when you can't physically see them and feel them..

Antheia - I have one and I love it...mind you charlie is only just 7kgs and really skinny, but she is certainly still on the middle snaps.
    If you like I can post it over so you can see what it looks like?

I'll PM you LimeSlice.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Lee:-) View Post
    Do you have any BG pockets??..to me it looks similar sizing to that..
    we're not using the BG pocket cos the crotch is way too wide for my bub.

we use the Swaddlebees SIZED pockets - which have a much narrower crotch.

So i'm guessing the OSFA econappi is a WIDE CROTCH nappy Lee?

the organic velour used in the Swaddlebees is very noice.

Hi Antheia,

The Swaddlebees are wider in the crotch than the sized pockets which is a bit disappointing if you love the true swaddleebees cut but the eco has some good benefits. Sizing wise it is quite generous, nice high rise, my DD is 12kg and the snapper (almost a side snapper) fits well, because the snaps are staggered it gives a nice fit on waist and thighs as you can adjust individually. I don't use the velcro so I can't comment. the insert is delicious and can beused on top if you are in a rush as the one size insert is also topped with organic cotton velour (we often use our spares as a booster in other nappies)

HTH

Hey Gigi, yeh, I think it is a wide crotch nappy. But I haven't actually lined it right up against a BG, but I don't think it would be too far off.

I'm also finding that DD soaks the insert very quickly too. So I think we will have to start boosting it.

Add Gigi on Facebook

THanks Saram

Lee, at 11 months, my bub was needing six layers of hemp or bamboo in her nappies (day nappies) e.g two layers of terry, four layers of fleece. I've been told bubs go thru stages of wetting too. I thought it was expediential - e.g the older they get, the bigger the bladder, so the more they can wee (in quantity). but apparently there are more factors at play. SOme bubs become big wetters then change to LESS, then at another stage, increase again. it's complicated!!!

Hi, I'm still new to the world of MCN. I have purchased an Econappy cause I like the idea of organic velour against DD's skin. The other pockets I have bought have Bamboo inserts.
    What do you think about the inserts that come with the Econappy. I never really thought about whether DD is a heavy or light wetter while she was in disposables, but since trying out cloth, I guess she's an average to heavy wetter. In disposables, she could go for 5 hours or more without leaks, although I didn't make a habit of that. But in MCN's, we have had a few leaks already. One was in a borrowed AIO which didn't have the best fit, it leaked after only 1 hour. Another one was with a borrowed Greenkids Funtimes. She hasn't had any leaks in Greenkids anytimes or Minkies yet and not in her peapod either.

Thanks for your opinions.
    Sasa

Add Gigi on Facebook

at Maya's age, i would definately go for the bamboo inserts

leaks can happen for a variety of reasons
    - buildup of washing detergent (esp in 2nd hand MCN) which requires a strip wash
    - bad fit e.g gaping around legs
    - not enough absorbent material
    - bad fit e.g wing droop

my DD has a narrow crotch, would took me over a year to work out, that there are actually NARROW and WIDE crotched nappies on the market, and that by using NARROW crotch nappies, NOW the nappies fit her. I was putting WIDE crotched nappies on her and thinking "this doesn't look or seem right" but coudln't think what was the problem (well not for a year - the newborn year).

we were using six layers of bamboo by about eight months old (for absorbency layers in each nappy).

THE SB Econappi is a wide crotched OSFA
    The normal Swaddlebees pockets are a sized nappy, and narrow crotched. (also come in the organic velour inner option).

Gigi, thanks for that. I think DD has a narrow crotch, too. I might give the normal sized SB a go. They do not come with bamboo inserts, though, do they? Which inserts do you buy for them? I was told the greenkids ones are great, but would they be too wide?

Sasa

Add Gigi on Facebook

when i changed our stash from a WIDE CROTCHED selection of nappies, to a NARROW crotched selection of nappies, i very quickly discovered, that inserts for wide crotch nappies do not fit or sit straight in narrow crotch nappies.

The greenkids inserts are terrific (absorbency wise) but that is a wide crotch brand product.

it is worth getting NARROW pocket inserts, like the swaddlebee hemp ones for the swaddlebee pockets. i don't buy the microfibre SB inserts, they are bulkier and don't soak up as much wee. SB unfortunately don't make bamboo inserts (yet). I adapt the hemp ones they do make, i sew a double layer of bamboo terry onto the top of the SB hemp insert.

I am a big believer in trifolds, being very adjustable, will stuff just about any pocket BUT with narrow crotch pockets, it is tricker to use trifolds, so in this instance i do think it's worth getting the matching SB hemp inserts - sew some bamboo terry to the top layer if you can. That helps with sudden gushes of wee - to quickly soak it up. THe hemp fleece (what the inserts are made out of) is better at the long term soaking up of fluid. So the combo of terry and fleece works well for pockets.

if you cannot sew, or the description sounds too hard, maybe the combo of th emicrofibre AND the hemp inserts would help you. Im not sure of the age of your baby anyhoo. My DD has been in the medium swaddlepockets for most of her life. They start at 5kg and go to 11kg. SHe was 5kg within a few months, and is now about to turn two. She is now 11kg, but still on the middle snaps, so hasn't outgrown them yet. We didn't buy the small ones, cos she didn't suit pockets in the first couple of months (legs too skinny).

so for approx 20 months, we have used the mediums and are still going with that size.

BUying sized nappies scared me in the beginning, i thought it meant you had to upgrade your stash every few months, but as i've described, it hasn't been like that.

i have the large size in waiting for her, but i fully expect her to be TT-d in that weight range (SB large is 10 - 17kg).

Swaddlebees are mainly our childcare nappies, we use other narrow crotch brands in all different nappy styles, for the rest of the time, plus a few SB fitted pockets at home.

Thanks for all that info. I'm going to get one of the sized Swaddlebees pockets to try out. I will try the hemp/micro combo as the sewing sounds like too much effort. But I might change my mind at some point ;-)
    Do you mind telling me what other narrow crotch nappy you have?
    My DD is 17 months and about 11kg. But she's on the skinny side. And tall. So I might try the medium size and try it on her before washing it so that I can return it if it is too small.

Sasa

Add Gigi on Facebook

Sasa, my DD is 11kg too, and fits on the middle snaps of the medium. She is a short child for her age, but i'm starting to think, it's not so much about the kids being short or tall, more to the point, it's what's their RISE is that is so crucial to the nappy fit.

other narrow crotch nappies we use:

AI2's
    dragonflymagik (minky with hidden PUL)
    lotus (shut at the moment)

pockets
    beetlebums (you need to be a hyena)
    swaddlebees sized with organic velour inner
    sugarshots

fitteds
    cute tooshies bamboo delights
    whizz kidz (shut at the moment)
    daisy doodles (bamboo velour)
    swaddlebees fitted pockets with Organic velour inner
    swaddlebees organic velour fitteds (inner AND outer)
    very baby (at the weewuns)

night nappies
    dragonflymagik (hyena a custom)
    kester kovers aio (at possum's pouch) they do a medium long size
    whizz kidz (shut)
    lotus (shut)

itti bitti do narrow crotch too, their site recommends you getting the next size up if your child needs the rise (they are a low rise nappy).
    the itti bitti boo - fitted nappy
    the itti bitti dlish - ai2

thanks again, Gigi. But what's all that talk about a hyena? Am i just being a bit slow? I just don't get it.

Sasa

Add Gigi on Facebook

in the savannah of Africa, an animal is killed/died, all the hyenas circle that animal, they are salivating over eating that food.

in MCN circles, small output WAHM's will advertise a "stocking", they have sewn up a small number of nappies. MCN fanatics will "stalk" the site, and all sit there on the right day, at the right time, all madly clicking REFRESH REFRESH, hoping to be the one to get to buy that item.

so hyenaing means in the MCN sense, when there is stiff competition for very few items. often the items are very spesh (labour intensive) or not many people make those things, so demand is high.

i am a lousy hyena! never fast enough!!

because i have a kid who suits narrow crotched nappies, of which there are not many brands suiting that body type, i have to at least ATTEMPT hyenaing to get what she needs.

thanks, now it all makes sense. still getting down with all the lingo. lol

Sasa