Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why cloth?

Cloth wipes are also heaps better than sposie ones. If one side is flannel adn the other is sherpa (for example) it grips poo heaps better than a smooth disposable wipe and is heaps easier. Just chuck them under a tap when needed. You can make your own. Some people use chamomile tea or other nice herbal teas instead of tap water (you'd make up a litre each day sort of thing) for a nicer smelling bub, plus tea has nice healing properties. A lot nicer than those smelly, overpowering sposie wipes!

It's nice to know that bamboo is the fastest growing plant on the earth (it can grow up to a metre a day!), requires very little water, is great for the soil and doesn't need pesticides. It's also the most absorbant nappy material out there

Cloth is great! I did use flats very breifly but Claire has skinny little chicken legs and I could never find a good method of folding that wasnt too big in the crotch and they all seem to gape around her thighs then she'd leak through the cover/pilcher.

We now use MCN's during the day and occasionally I will buy a box of sposies for night time. I am definately saving money. Claire is a champion wee'er and can fill a sposie pretty quickly. I also love seeing a pretty nappy out of the bottom of a cute little dress. Sposies are ugly for that, lol! She often just crawls around in a nappy and a cute little tshirt, or sometimes just a nappy. Sposies are so plasicky and I dont like the idea of them being in the ground for so long. I read once that they take around 200 years to break down! When I get sposies, I get the ones that are meant to be more environmentally freidnly.

We havent found that she gets more bum rash from cloth. She barely gets bum rash at all anyway, but I havent noticed an increase since she's been in cloth. She used to get bum rash all the time as a newborn in sposies but that might have just been those newborn poos!

I should also add that I'm rather unco and lazy too and I dont find them too much effort at all. I use pockets and I make them all up when they come off the line so I dont have to fiddle with putting it together while I am changing her. I get the ones with snaps as she knows how to open velcro!

I'm not even pregnant yet, but love reading about cloth nappies. It's great to hear all these positive reports. I've already ordered a Pea Pod (wanted 3 but they'd run out during a big 50% off sale) and some biodegradable liners (not to be used all the time). I'm thinking of trying a few different MCNs to see what works before buying the required number.

It's such a shame MCNs aren't in all the shops alongside the sposies and flats. I think there's only one shop here in Adelaide which sells them....please do correct me if I'm wrong

I think there's two or even three shops in SA. Natures cradle (Nature's Cradle, 425 Brighton Road,
    Brighton, AND Nature's Cradle, Shop 5/69 Gawler St, Mt Barker,) and...hm, someone else will have to answer for the others!

Also - bamboo and hemp both have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties so are actually good to have against a red bott.

Default First time Mum - thinking about all in one's?

hi all, an interesting read about everyones different experiences and opinions regarding cloth nappies. At first the thought of using the 'old fashioned' nappies never entered my mind, until i did some research. All in one nappies have impressed me the most! and they look absolutely gorgeous, and not to mention to the happy covers out there!!

I'm after some all in one brands that anyone has used, and can recommend??

Do all in one's come with snap fasteners so i can use them as little one grows??

Any reccomendations regarding any AIO or any other cloth nappy would be greatly appreciated!!!

Can anyone tell me how i can put up pics?? i have no clue!

to be honest, I spent about $300 on MCN's but dont use them, I think disposables are much easier and use them instead, the only ime I use cloth is if I run out then is only for a day and is back in sposies.

I just washed two huge loads of nappies the other day and hung them on the line to snap in the sun. So bright white and fresh. Heh. Hormones must be really doing my head in, cause I can hardly wait for Rabbit to get here so I can put them on her.

I'm just really pleased and surprised that cloth nappies are having a bit of a renaissance, I thought before I was pg that I'd use them but that it'd be hard to find them/ know what the fat I was doing. But not so. When I'm at the grocery I stroll down the baby isle and just the cost of sposies is enough to make me happy to do a few extra loads of wash a week. Then there's the thought of throwing them away... No, I don't think I mind doing the washing at all.

Bugalug, pop into the cloth nappy chatter thread. You'll find a group of very enthusiastic nappy users who will be happy to answer any of your questions! Just stick your head in and say hi, and ask away! We love newbies

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...85#post1133385

Really Mel? I find cloth just as easy, but it does take some getting used to I guess - I hate emptying the bins too - ours fills up fast enough without using sposies!

What kind of nappies are you using Steph? Flats? They do look rather nice swaying in the breeze.

Welcome Bugalug! There's also Help for New Users! where you can see questions other newbies have asked! Janie's going to pop in there any day now to join us in answering questions!

How old's your bub? For a younger bub, you want to find an AIO that's really really snug around the legs, to stop that explodey poo! For a bub that's started solids, there are stacks of good AIO's! Magicalls, BerryPlush, Itti Bittis, Honeyboys, Monkey Doodlez all work well for us. That's only the tip of the iceberg though!

AIO's come with snaps or velcro - but velcro allows for varying sizes too. If that's what you meant.

Recommendations? Argh! Depends on so many things - how often you want to wash, how old your baby is, what style you prefer to use, drying time...decide what you want the nappy to do for you, and then we can be more specific perhaps? I've found our One Size Fits Most nappies get a lot of use though, for example, Riv's been using his BumGenius Pocket nappies since birth!

As for pics, try asking in the in a FAQ section? I don't know if you need to have a certain number or posts of anything...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12