Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg and nut allergy

Default Egg and nut allergy

hI there!
    My DD has had an egg allergy that we've been aware of since she was 11 months, she is now 2.5yrs. Yesterday we went back for more testing and discovered she is also allergic to tree nuts. I am really stressing, as we've been told that although the test can't tell you if she's anapyhlactic, there's a chance she could be. We have to avoid nuts at all costs. I am wanting to speak with someone who's been through this, I have so many questions. At the time I had the Dr piling notes and leaflets on me and I couldnt think straight.
    Any advice is greatly welcome!
    xoxo

Hi Webbmeg! I will tell you a bit more tomorrow as we are going to get DD allergy tested at the Royal Children's after a peanut episode the other weekend. She had never had a reaction before and she came out in hives all over her body. She had a mild egg intolerance as well.

We had our consultation today and the results are as we expected - mild raw egg intolerance and allergic to peanuts.

We went to the desk and checked in. They weighed her and after a short wait we were in discussing each of the food intolerance/allergy incidents we had had (not many) and how we dealt with them. She also asked for history of asthma, allergies etc in all three of us, and our families.

They then did the skin tests. DD had some lines drawn on her back, and then was gently scratched with the two allergens we were testing for (egg and peanuts) as well as a histamine control (so they can compare the reactions of the other allergens with this one).

The results only took 10 minutes, and are done by measuring the size of the small welt that comes up. The size of the welt was an indication of how allergic she is so the egg welt was much smaller than the peanut welt. The peanut welt was only slightly smaller than the histamine control.

For egg, we just continue as we are. She's fine if it's cooked in something (cake etc), but she's likely to have a reaction if it's raw (soft-boiled eggs, choc mousse, pavlova, pasta carbonara etc). Her reaction isn't life-threatening, just uncomfortable and fingers crossed, she'll grow out of it.

For peanuts, the reaction was more severe. So, again, avoid peanuts in things. We will, however, be telling everyone that she is allergic to both peanuts and egg, so that we can control if and when she does have these.

We've got an action plan poster to give to childcare which they'll put up. We normally would not have been given an EpiPen, however we are going away soon so they thought it best to give us a script, as we may be away from doctors/hospital/etc. So that makes us feel more comfortable. We have the EpiPen, even though, in all likelihood, we'll never need it.

Hi Nai,
    Thanks for the update, sorry to hear there's a peanut allergy. We are doing the same as you, avoiding egg and nut. I am currently trying to talk to my Dr (who is waiting results from the allergy clinic) as I'd like to have an epipen. I just want to know that if she ever comes into contact with something that she is anaphylactic too, Im not going to sit there going "I knew she was allergic, but wasnt' allowed the pen". Hopefully I'll get it.
    What were her measurements for the egg and the peanuts? We were 8mm for egg and 4mm for the nuts.
    Apparently though, after loads of research, I am finding that it doesn't mean alot..and they can be more or less allergic than the results say....why bother....
    Anyway, we have been de-nutting the house and Im learning alot. It means no ice cream, lollies or chocolate, (which is only a prob around bday parties etc)but I have found out that aero bars are nut free and there is also an awesome website where I've ordered some egg/nut/peanut free things. I can give it to you if you'd like.
    Talk soon ox

Hello your story sounds very similar to mine! My DD has always had an egg sensitivity from about 13 months so we have always avoided it. 2 weeks ago while at a friends house she got into some raw cake mix and had a severe reaction(anaphylactic). We went to the Dr's and had a blood test done for common allergies- peanuts, milk, soy, wheat and eggs and she too is allergic to peanuts as well as egg whites. Her levels for both on a scale of 1-5 where 3. My Dr says her levels are moderate but these should be avoided at all costs just incase. He also said her reaction appeared worse than what they'd expect from her level when she was tested iykwim. I am seeing a paediatric allergist on the 26th and cant wait as i have some other concerns. Even last night at dinner she came out in hives and i have no idea what it was from as there where def no eggs or nuts in the meal. My DD is also asthmatic I will be asking for an epi pen too as after her reaction 2 weeks ago i am petrified it will happen again. I am having trouble already getting through to family not to feed her anything without my permission.

DD was the opposite to yours Webbmeg, her histamine control was about 8x6mm and her peanut scratch was 7x5mm and her egg was 4x3mm. From that and her previous reactions they deducted that she was more allergic to peanut than egg. She is ok with cooked egg but not raw egg so it must be the proteins in the egg white that break down during cooking that are the issue for her.

Peanuts are more of a problem as her reaction was more severe and her scratch test was closer to her histamine scratch. So no peanuts at all. She doesn't have any other nut allergies though strangely enough. She has to have a re-test every 12 months to see if her reaction has changed.

We were only given an EpiPen as we are going to Thailand for 2 weeks and will be away from hospitals. They said in cases like ours we would only be prescribed one if she had a severe reaction or we were in a remote area. If they can't tell you if how bad her reaction would be, you don't want to discover by accident - I would push to have one just in case!

Hoody that must have been very scary. Im glad she's ok. This is the problem, other people (and I know you didn't know she had an allergy at the time), but other people just aren't going to be as careful.
    Nai you mentioned it's a bit of a challenge even now getting the fam to co-operate, and I think this is our biggest problem (that is, parents of children with severe allergies), we are the only ones who are going to look after them properly.
    I have a friend who insists her child eats nuts (pistachio's) all the time, and I am really worried that she will let him eat them just before they see us.
    So I think my big challenge is going to be warning people before we eat with them and just making sure no one offers her things when Im not looking!
    Im booked into my GP tomorrow to try to get this damn epipen!!
    Hope your little one's grow out of their allergies soon! I just never expected my child would have allergies like this, bit of a shock isn't it! xoxoxoxo

I know what you mean Webbmeg - I never expected a child of mine would have allergies to food It took me by surprise even though I have grass and pollen allergies. There are no real food allergies in our families.

We have been teaching DD to say "I can't eat nuts, they make me very very sick". We also saw some wrist bands, badges and t-shirts that say "no nuts/eggs" etc on them which we might also get. They are on the precious children website (just google it).

I have told all family that they cannot have any peanut products in the house if they are going to be looking after her. I will check fridges and pantries if needs be and if I find anything in there then she isn't staying.

I hope you can get the EpiPen - it will be one less thing you have to worry about!

Thanks Nai!
    Im off to the Doc's today.
    My inlaws seem to have been pretty good about not having anything around when she's there. Im not going over there as often though, as I don't want her anywhere that Im not totally in control of. Although we went there for lunch on sunday for DH's bday,and I said I'd do nibblies (that's usually when they have nuts) and I got dips with no nuts (do you know how many dips have cashews in them........), and we also made the crunch salad without pine nuts or almonds (even though at this point no pine nut allergy). So at least they have listened so far.
    Like the idea about the badges and tshirts etc, I will look into buying some!
    Talk soon !
    Love
    Megan xo

Woohoo, I got the script for epipen as well as a referral to a different Dr. Who did you see Nai? Im booked in with a Dr Bryn someone. From Childrens hospital. Im in at end of July.
    Gotta run, kids going crazy
    love
    megan xo

I can't remember who I saw but she was lovely.

We got a t-shirt, badge and wrist band from the precious children website and they arrived within 2 days. They are really good. We have got DD saying "I can't eat peanuts, they make me sick" over and over every day so hopefully it will sink in.

Just a quick update.

We took DD1 to see the Paed Allergist this morning and it went very well. He took one look at the RAST test my Gp had already done and said i would definately need to carry an Epi pen around at all times. He gave me a script for 2 so i picked them up this afternoon. He has re-iterated the fact that my DD is not to have ANY egg or peanuts in her diet whatsoever from now on. He is also sending us for more testing on things like shell fish, stone fruits and dust mites etc as we are certain she has more than these two allergies.

He has also suggested that we invest in a Medic Alert bracelet for her to wear at all times incase she has a reaction when i am not around. He also said this can often make other family members and friends realise how serious allergies can be. I will also look into the precious children website too.

How old are your children with allergies? My DD turned 2 in March so although she is speaking i think it will be a while before i can get her to say that eggs and nuts make her sick. I have already started saying it to her though and she does try to parrot me i jsut dont think she understands what it all means iykwim.

WTG megan getting the Epi pen must be a relief for you

Take care ladies.

Ooh another Q- Do you still allow eggs in your house etc? So far i am not and DH thinks i am been over the top as its not like she will help herself but for me i think its safer. What do you think?

Hoody, Mia is exactly a month younger than Genevieve (11/02/06)! I haven't removed all eggs as DD is only slightly allergic but I have removed all peanuts and peanut products from the house. If the egg allergy is bad then yes I wouldn remove them. How easy would it be for her to open the fridge, get an egg out and break it?

Hi guys, didn't realise you'd posted!!
    Hoody, until the other week after the allergist, we still had eggs in the house. We had cut down big time on using them, but now I have no egg at all. I also have no nuts obviously .I found egg to be a problem in that if DD1 was eating it, bits would fall on the ground, so I was constantly cleaning up after her hoping I"d got it all.
    Also we didn't use them much, but I would wash hands after, but now I think about it, I didnt' brush my teeth, and knowing DD got her nut allergy through kisses etc, Im not sure if egg is the same and if I've made it worse.
    coco is 2 and a half. Because she's been egg allergic since she can remember she knows not to eat something if I say "it's got egg, not good for coco'> But she doesn't know to tell people that. At the park yesterday she wandered over to a family (I had her in my sights ) as they were eating some kind of cakes. I ran over and said "no she can't have any, egg allergy". Coco would've taken it, she can't differentiate what does and doesn't have egg. I felt SO sad for her, she just looked like a lost puppy looking at all these kids (about 6 of them) eating the cake. I felt like crying.
    Im off to check precious childrens website, thanks for the tips. Sorry you guys are going through this too, but good to know we have each other to talk to. xoxoxox

It's funny they are all girls almost the same age too!

We are off to Thailand tomorrow for 2 weeks - not the most ideal holiday location for a peanut allergy but it is for a wedding and was booked prior to the peanut incident!! We have little signs written in Thai saying that she can't have peanuts as they make her very sick. We also have the epipens which hopefully we won't have to use. It's freaking me out a bit but I guess we can't stay at home for the rest of our lives.

Nai, have a wonderful holiday and enjoy yourself. I hope all goes well, just stick to lots of vegies and rice and meat!! At least it's a nice balanced diet, just without the unknown sauces I guess! Im sure you've looked into it, or will sort it out once you're there. It's alot about preparation isn't it. Are you taking food? Im not sure what things you are allowed take, but snacks would be good.
    Have a fab time and look forward to hearing all when you get back!! xoxoxoox

Nai- Have a fantastic trip. I'm sure your DD will be fine. Like Wegmeg said vegies, meat and rice

Webmeg- It is hard in a situation like you had at the park. My DD is by no means shy and will take food off of anyone offering.

We are all well and getting used to having to carry around all the extra medication every where we go. We are taking the epi pen of course along with some antihistamine incase we ever have a mild reaction and also all her asthma stuff. Gone are the days of just been able to nip out with my purse etc. My FDC'er has been really sweet and even got a DVD and whole heap of information on allergies for me to look through. My DD is the only child she has ever looked after with allergies so you can imagine how careful she is trying to be. The sad thing is she will only be doing daycare for another month. My DD only goes one day a week so i was going to move her to a big centre but now with all the allergies i might just keep her home- not sure i trust leaving her in care with so many other kids. Are any of your girls in day care?

Hoody I am really really lucky with day care and after a LONG search of the local daycares (and being told that they would "DO THEIR BEST" with her allergies. .....) I found a local egg and nut free long day care. Maybe if you ask around or google you might find one. They dont' even accept egg cartons for craft they are that strict. Not all kids there are allergic, but they all accept it and would never send anything allergic. we pack lunch and recess and the teacher checks every box which, for an allergy parent, is awesome. And for those not allergic, they know this going in and accept it. On top of all that they are not too big, compared with alot of day cares I've seen.
    I really hope you find somewhere suitable. Also do research, Im sure there are places out there that would accomodate her and happily let other parents know not to bring anything containing the allergy foods.
    Gotta run, bath/dinner time!!! xoxxo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast