Thread: Failsafe stuff! Please can someone help me?!?

Default Failsafe stuff! Please can someone help me?!?

I need to make some failsafe stuff for the girls party next weekend. Does anyone have a failsafe cupcake recipe?
    And the biscuit recipe's in the failsafe book/fed up book, can you freeze that after you cut the shapes out?? The party is the 21st (so next Saturday), how far in advance can I make these.

I'm also going to make sausage rolls, meringues, rice bubble crackles. I'm going to make some cordial (as per the fed up book). What soft drink (if any) can they have?

Any other suggestions for party food would be greatly appreciated!
    TIA so so much!

Plain popcorn is good and rice crackers (plain) with dip.

I would probably steer clear of the popcorn, as the corn itself is high in food chemicals.

My GF has followed this at times and is the queen of "white food" parties LOL. She does things like plain vanilla cupcakes with white icing (or pale pink using natural food colouring only), and white only marshmallows, pikelets with golden syrup, soft mild cheese & rice crackers, she also changes recipes with chocolate in to white chocolate, this doesn't set the kids off as much. She gives her kids the schweppes lemonade only, no other brands or flavours, unless you wanted to make up like a punch using pear juice & soda water etc.

LOL I'd die at those parties - I'm allergic to something that seems to be endemic in white junk food. White chocolate is lethal!

And when I say die, I really just mean violent sneezing.

I'm more of a fan of things like fruit kebabs, mini-pizzas and baby hot dogs. Although baby hot dogs barely rate as food, kids love them and they are more filling than most rubbish you usually see at parties.

We do cupcakes all the time, you just take a basic cake mix (we tend to us a simple chocolate cake recipe for this) and put it in patty cases and bake for 10-15 minutes not 45.

You can't use packet cup cake mixes either cause they have 320 in them. DS reacts really badly to it , its banned in infants food and in some countries yet i seems to be in many everyday foods here.

Rumpled Elf- failsafe wouldn't let you have hot dogs!

I did say hot dogs barely count as food Someone brought some (ie, an entire slow cooker FULL) to school last year for a party and they lasted about 2 minutes. The vegetables lasted the longest

I can't have most packet cake mixes either, different reason though. They often have 322 in them (as does almost all chocolate and lollies) and it makes me sneeze. Why do they need all that extra crap in them anyway? Make them yourself and it is flour, butter, eggs, milk. Buy them and there's a bajillion numbers on the list. Even organic chocolate has 322 in it, the only chocolate that doesn't is the really strong, expensive stuff.

Heck, cosmetics are full of 322 and I never knew (they don't have ingredient lists). I just knew that wearing makeup is to be avoided if possible because it always makes my eyes red and puffy and my skin itchy. 15 years of avoiding makeup later and I find out the reason is the same one that stops me having chocolate.

Edit: our chocolate cupcakes
    1 cup SR flour, 1 cup brown sugar (you can drop this a bit), 1/2 cup milk, 2 eggs, 3 tablespoons cocoa, spot of vanilla essense, 30g melted butter (but more is nicer).

Sift the flours/cocoa into a bowl, mix in sugar, add everything else, beat until smooth. Put in patty cases. Cook until done. 10-15 on 180 does the trick. Kids love em. They freeze really well.
    Last edited by deletedit; August 14th, 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Ok - I have brought ingredients to do EVERYTHING from scratch! OMG - what am I thinking.
    I have stuff to make cupcake - only thing is i'm not sure about the buttercream icing but hey.... its only a little bit on each cake! Gingerless biscuits (from failsafe books), white choc spoons for lolly bags, crackles (from failsafe books and using puffed rice not rice bubbles), cheese fondue thing, sausage rolls (from failsafe), potato chips (hot ones from f/safe), fruit/cheese/dips (dips all home made also), meringues (home made), cheese cake for birthday cake.

Default Allergy friendly banana cake

Hi,
    I have kids with multiple food allergies and this is the banana cake recipe I use over and over and over again. It is failsafe and easy-peasy!! Can also be used to make cupcakes.

125 g nuttelex
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons 'No-egg' replacement
    3 medium bananas (* you can use the equivalent amount of stewed apples and/or pears if bananas are a problem)
    2 cups SR flour (or gluten free flour of your choice depending on the allergy you are managing)
    pinch salt
    1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
    2 tablespoons of soy milk (or any liquid as per your needs)

Cream nuttelex and sugar until light and creamy. Add No-egg and mashed banana/fruit. Fold in sifted flour, salt and bicarb and then milk/liquid at the end.

It creates a very sticky mixture.

Cook for 45 mins at 180C.

The kids love it and it always works and takes about 10 mins to prepare.

Cheers,
    Pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by **Sunshine** View Post
    Ok - I have brought ingredients to do EVERYTHING from scratch! OMG - what am I thinking.
    I have stuff to make cupcake - only thing is i'm not sure about the buttercream icing but hey.... its only a little bit on each cake! Gingerless biscuits (from failsafe books), white choc spoons for lolly bags, crackles (from failsafe books and using puffed rice not rice bubbles), cheese fondue thing, sausage rolls (from failsafe), potato chips (hot ones from f/safe), fruit/cheese/dips (dips all home made also), meringues (home made), cheese cake for birthday cake.

Yum what time do you want us round ?????

LOL - anytime especially if you feel like preparing all the other stuff

So far i've made 36 cup cakes, 2 batches of piklets (because I couldn't get the meringues to work , choc spoons and biscuits. I've even written the kids names on them because they are ones for lolly bags! I took a photo because I was so impressed with them!! LOL

Well done!!! Tonight I spent developing a recipe for pumpkin pie muffins that are gluten-free, dairy free and egg free. Its hard work finding things that work!!

When I did the fail-safe, I found that the only way I could do it was to do everything from scratch. I found some things you can use though like the natural confectionary company lemonaide.

For Matilda's party this year I did home made sausage rolls, fruit sticks, dips like hummous and guacamole with carrots, celery and plain rice crackers. I made a cake but I didn't follow fail safe for that as it was so much work already.

Question - i read somewhere about cochineal - is that a failsafe thing? If it's not can I make something pink or purple with something else? IF not it's ok. Just thought i'd ask