Thread: A question about cows milk protein intolerance

Default A question about cows milk protein intolerance

We are fairly sure that Sam has a mild intolerance to the proteins in cows milk. Even now at 18 months old he isn't able to tolerate cows milk and we use toddler formula instead. Two days of only 50mL of cows milk in 2-3 bottles per day was enough to bring on the runny poos... He has been on a partially hydrolysed formula from birth, so I know it's only a mild intolerance as we didn't need to go to the elemental formulas. He is also fine with milk products when they have been cooked (like custard), he refuses to eat cheese and yoghurt so no idea if he's ok with them or not.

Now... his paed the other day suggest we try lactose-free milk for him. But I'm wondering if this would actually make any difference. Changing the form of one of the sugars in the cows milk can't make much difference to the proteins, really.

Would the A2 milk be a better option to try? I don't know a great deal about it but believe it has slightly different proteins to regular milk. I just don't want to pursue the lactose-free milk if it's not going to solve the problem!

BW

Just curious, if he can't handle dairy protein, then how is the formula ok? Is it not dairy?
    The lactose-free suggestion doesn't really make sense to me either, unless maybe he's getting loads and loads of it...? There are two kinds of proteins in cow's milk, so depending which one SAm has an issue with A2 might be ok.

We've always used the HA formula. It's partially broken down - not as much as formulas like neocate, but it seems to be just enough to make it ok for Sam. We have issues with non-HA formula, though. But haven't tried a non-HA formula in quite a while. At this point I would rather get him off formula rather than switch. Although I can see that formula would be easier when out, but now that he's down to two bottles per day, it's not that much of an issue.

BW

my naturopath is certain DD2 has a milk protien intolerance (will find out in september when we reintroduce it and retest),she is on oat or rice milk, why dont you try that???

Ah, I see! Maybe it'd be best to talk to a dietician or someone like that to work out a plan like Olive's to cut things out then reintroduce. And makes sense to get off the formula, yeah.

DD1 is/was intolerant to the A1-beta casein protein found in most milks. She was much better on A2 which has the A2-beta casein protein. Some people think A2 milk is a crock, but it made the world of difference to us. Some people are intolerant to both proteins, but no harm in trying. Another good other option would be goats milk.

It's funny that he wont eat cheese and yoghurt, my naturopath told me that our bodies often either crave or reject things we have problem digesting. So his little body might already know the answer!

Dairy intolerances can be due to the actual lactose, so it could be worth a shot to see if it makes a difference, if it doesn't you can at least cross that off your list. They sell lactose free milk in the UHT sections of most big supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Junglemum View Post
    It's funny that he wont eat cheese and yoghurt, my naturopath told me that our bodies often either crave or reject things we have problem digesting. So his little body might already know the answer!
    agree 100% with JM, DD2 refused to eat brekky when she was having a little cows milk and i swear she knew she wasnt ment to have milk!

I have to say that I use lactose-free milk myself, but Sam seems to have different issues with milk to me.

I tried rice milk once - never again! I found the smell to be completely off-putting so not really keen on that idea for Sam.

The funny thing is that Sam LOVES custard. He would eat custard all day long if we let him - it seems that the cooking process is enough to fix it for him. I'm told that if that's the case then cheese and yoghurt will be fine - day care keeps telling me he eats cheese, but he never will at home and yoghurt just meets with utter rejection. When on antibiotics we would mix them (in powder form - that's another drama in itself) with custard to make sure we could get them into him - with absolutely no evidence of issues at all.

DH had to have goats milk as a child, but tolerates regular milk now - there's certainly some kind of family history here!

BW

jaskie Guest

My friends daughter was diagnosed with a milk protien intolerance when very tiny and was only able to take the neocate formula. She is now 21/2 and is on A2 with no problems at all.

Both my girls had problems with normal milk and their Pead said to change them to UHT milk and it has made all the difference to them.

BW try oat milk, it barely has a smell and tastes good! remember its for sam and not about whether or not you like it

My girls have rice milk & I haven't noticed any smells at all maybe you got a dodgy one? I don't know.... I bake with it all the time and no one has ever noticed.... I like it on my cereal as long as its cold its good. We went from goats milk to rice milk and I appreciated the change. Sorry, no help here

im the same christy cook with oat milk all the time! i love the stuff now and cant stand cows milk

BW, I think you already know that my DS is in pain with cow milk but can have goat milk. He loves it. He can also have sheep and soy stuff, so soya yoghurts and ice-cream and a lot of dark chocolate is dairy free (check the labels for whey protein though!). Aside from rarely being able to buy a cake at the shops, it's not that difficult.