Thread: Allergy free finger food?

Default Allergy free finger food?

Does anyone have any good ideas for allergy free (no wheat/dairy/egg/nuts etc.) finger foods suitable for an 8 month old?
    ATM Abbey only has banana and mango and soft fruits and she has had the bellamy dried apple, but I would like her to have a bit more variety. She has 8 teeth now and its probably time she started using them.
    Also any good suggestions for meals at all would be much aprreciated.
    Thanks!

Polenta & Pumpkin finger food

1.5 cup polenta
    3 cups water
    100gm pureed pumpkin
    olive oil

Boil the water and add the polenta slowly making a porridge like consistency. Take off the heat and stir in pureed pumpkin, pour into a flat tin with raised sides, level off the top and pop in the fridge for an hour or so until sets. Cut into shapes, triangles or soldiers. Spray olive oil into pan and cook on both sides for a minute and serve!

*Fried Rice - instead of egg use tofu (maybe a bit old for her but you could use the idea of rice with tofu fried in a bit of olive oil with pureed veges or mashed ones.)

Will have to look up what is right for an 8 month old to eat to get some ideas for you
    Last edited by christy; January 18th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.

My son's also on this diet. Trying to think back to what a 9 month old might be able to eat ...

Continue experimenting with different fruits and vegetables. What about some soft cooked minced meat (lamb, turkey, chicken or beef)? I buy rice flour sticks in the shape of rusk sticks but with the texture of cruskits for my son. They are made with nothing but rice flour and water and are sold in heath food stores. Do you need to avoid gluten? If not, have you considered trying oats mixed with either EBM or water for breakfast?

Thanks!

Christy.. The polenta and pumpkin ones sound yummy and easy too.. will have to get the ingredients when I go shopping.

Kirsty.. Do you know what brand those rusks are? I have been asking in health food shops but no one has any.

Thanks Fletch!!

Ella has severe dairy/egg allergies so this thread is great!
    *Yeah the polenta is great - i add salmon or tuna into it and bake, cut into cubes and refridgerate. Will definately be trying the pumpkin one
    * I make a risotto (i posted the recipe a while back i think in the chn's recipe ideas thread). With left over i roll it into bite-size balls in bread crumbs (bread which is suitable for her to eat that is).
    *Mini sushi is also a hit - with vegies, tuna, smoked salmon, shredded chicken...Sushi rice and seaweed sheets (buy in coles) - easy to make.
    *I make Ella icecreams using soy yogurt poured into the little tupperware iceblock thingies.
    *Falafels - you can make your own in bite size portions using the falafel mix from the supermarket and added herbs and spices. I have a good recipe if needed.
    * I've also got a recipe for cornflake and sultana biscuits where i substitute the milk with either soy or her prescribed milk and the butter with Nuttelex. She loves them and they don't contain a lot of sugar.
    * Oh and I've a recipe for mini fruit muffins (similar to fruit cake) not containing any dairy or nuts - really yummy!
    * i've just made Banana and sultana mini muffins as well as:
    * potato, chive and zuchini scones (can add tuna, sweet potato, pumpkin, olives....)
    * Home-made ravioli with any suitable filling - spinach, tuna, mince, pumpkin or sweet potato. I've a simple pasta recipe for that one too.

Ella also loves just snacking on dried fruit pieces, apricot rolled in coconut balls, chickpeas, olives, peices of ham, fresh or the mini frozen corn on the cob pieces, carrot sticks, sultanas, mini wheats and Cherios (dry cereals) in her snack trap. Raisin toast is a huge hit aswell using Nuttelex to spread on it instead of butter or marg.

Please let me know if you're interested in any recipes and i'll post those too

Oh and Ella only has 7 teeth and has been coping really well with all these foods
    Last edited by *Rae*; January 23rd, 2007 at 04:27 PM.