Thread: egg free chocolate free cakr recipe

Default egg free chocolate free cakr recipe

hi my SIL is after an egg free, chocolate free recipe for my niece's bday cake (first bday) can any one help?

Ummmmm......no. Any cake I've ever made does NOT fit that description! You would have a heart attack as soon as look at one of my cakes LOL!

But I will have a look through my recipe books tonight to see if I can find anything.

same here, I make cakes for weddings but have never made a egg free cake that also doesn't include chocolate, all my recipes are for eggless choc cakes.

I will have a look for you....

Okay. I didn't have one, but googled and found quite a few. This one seems the best, and is probably the one I would make. I love chocolate cake!

Egg Free Chocolate Cake
    (can also be made to be Dairy Free, and is Nut Free)
    1 1/2 cups plain flour
    pinch salt
    1 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    5 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup cold water
    1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 175 degrees C, and grease an 8 inch square pan (I would line the pan too).
    In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Mix well with a fork, then stir in oil, vinegar and vanilla. When dry ingredients thoroughly moistened, pour in cold water and stir until batter is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and pour batter into prepared pan.
    Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a rack.

I'm not sure why the vinegar, but all the egg free chockie cake recipes I found seemed to have it in it, and reviews I read said that it can't be tasted. A slight variation to this recipe I found is to just sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the mixture once it has been poured into the pan.

Chocolate Ganache Icing (if you need it)
    150g dark chocolate, broken
    100g unsalted butter, softened

Melt chocolate, either on stove (double boiler I think), or in the microwave (don't set the time for too long, as you will burn the chocolate). Add the chopped butter, stirring until the butter blends into the chocolate. Allow icing to cool and thicken to a good spreading consistency, then use immediately.

The Ganache thickens really well as it cools, and is the sort of icing you get on some mud cakes. This is what I use on my chockie and mud cakes, and is what my Man calls "real icing". When the icing is still 'pourable' or relatively thin, you can pour some of it over a cool cake and it will run down the sides. Some encouragement with a knife and it will cover the entire cake. Once the remaining icing has cooled and thickened more, pour the rest over the top of the cake and spread with a knife. This makes the icing on the top nice and thick!
    Last edited by Netix; February 6th, 2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Found what I was looking for.

Fraser Guest

oh how funny - I was just about to post a thread asking for egg free banana bread recipes - I have three smushy bananas and no eggs!!

I'll go searching and see what I can come up with for you!

ps: beautiful ticker picture!!! gorgeous!!