Thread: Can they do this?

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

Default Can they do this?

A photo I took as official photographer at a friend's wedding is in today's Adeliade Advertiser, but none of the photos on the page have any credit to the photogapher. Does anyone know if that's legal for copyright reasons?

Depends I think - did the couple send the photo in as an announcement or was it in there for some other reason? If the couple sent it in, then it would be ok, but if it was put in by someone else then I would think there would be copyright issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_H View Post
    Depends I think - did the couple send the photo in as an announcement or was it in there for some other reason? If the couple sent it in, then it would be ok, but if it was put in by someone else then I would think there would be copyright issues.
    The couple sent it in. I knew it was going in, I just would have thought that they would have to put reference to the photographer. Seeing as they didn't, I hope that the photo is destroyed after it goes to print.

It depends whether the couple bought the copyright rights in their package. If they didn't it is a breach of copyright and against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    It depends whether the couple bought the copyright rights in their package. If they didn't it is a breach of copyright and against the law.
    I did it for them as a favour and have no problem that the photo is in the paper. I had another look and saw that there is a general credit to the newspaper's photographer who does wedding photos. I have emailed a complaint.

Yep that sounds fair if there is a general credit which implies your photo belongs to the newspaper's photographer I would complain as well. I would check what will happen with the photo once the paper has finished with it, generally if it's a printed photo it's kept until the person that sent it in comes to collect it. I'm not sure what happens with digita images.

Most times with announcement the photographer doesn't get credit because the couple doesn't secify who it was. Maybe if you do any more weddings ask if you can be credited if they are going to display the photos anywhere?

The couple did specify that I took the photo. On the form they filled in to get it into the paper it was actually one of the questions at a mandatory field that had to be filled in which is why both me and the bride are so annoyed that no credit was given. I shall see what response I get from my email to the paper.

Sending your image in to the paper as their announcement would still quality as 'personal use' as far as copyright goes (well, with me it would still classify as personal use).

I personally wouldnt be worried if my name wasn't mentioned, I would feel differently though if it was a feature article on the bride and groom's day.

The issue is the 'implied artistic accreditation' given by having the paper's photog as the only listed name.

I hope the paper will rectify this in the future after your email.

I would make sure in future you have all of this in your Terms and Conditions for the bride and groom to sign, if you havent already

In the agreement that I had the couple sign I mentioned that I own the copyright and anything they use the photos for, they must recognise that I was the photographer and not allow anyone else to take credit.

I got a response to my email
    Hi
    thank you for your email
    We do credit supplied photos but unfortunately in this case it was not clearly stated in the email we received
    Cheers

Shalou Guest

It's good that they took the time to email you back, so many places don't bother these days.

That doesn't make sense if they had to specify the photograper to put it in the paper. I think you should demand that they at the very least put you on the website with the photo and do an apology in the letters to the editor page or something. Hope it does get worked out properly.